Why so few minority geocachers?

geocat_

A few reasons for this:

1. Minority... so therefore there are less of you. Sure some areas have a higher density but because geocaching groups/events tends to be based upon an entire city the majority will show up more.

2. Family Cohesion... A couple of my family members have married foriegners and their culture has them spending much more time with extended family way more than is normal for the average North American. They tend to spend their time on the things that their family does and less on their own unique interests.

3. White people love to be geeks... I don't know why but we dominate every geek fest. Subcultures are our forte.

I really don't care. All comers are welcome to geocache. Who cares what race or gender they are? Does political correctness have to be a part of every aspect of life these days? The truth be told there are only two kinds of people in this world 1) those born to geocache, and 2) those who are not born to geocache. Its that simple. Either its in your DNA, or not. I was visiting my elderly father in Florida, and during lull periods, or early morning hours before he got up, I would go caching. I asked him if he wanted to go with me, and he told me "I'd rather chase skunks. You are going to get arrested poking around buildings and signs." So, he was not born a cacher. There is no sociographic boundaries on this activity. For one moment in life, lets forget about race, gender, political persuation, or whatever, and lets get out there and geocache and have fun!

Edited by Geotrophimus

I really don't care. All comers are welcome to geocache. Who cares what race or gender they are? Does political correctness have to be a part of every aspect of life these days? The truth be told there are only two kinds of people in this world 1) those born to geocache, and 2) those who are not born to geocache. Its that simple. Either its in your DNA, or not. I was visiting my elderly father in Florida, and during lull periods, or early morning hours before he got up, I would go caching. I asked him if he wanted to go with me, and he told me "I'd rather chase skunks. You are going to get arrested poking around buildings and signs." So, he was not born a cacher. There is no sociographic boundaries on this activity. For one moment in life, lets forget about race, gender, political persuation, or whatever, and lets get out there and geocache and have fun!

Read the previous posts....nothing racist going on here....just observations smile.gif

I might add that aside from my first cache, geocaching for me has been enjoyable. I think the lack of 'minority' geocachers is also due to the lack of internet access in some countries, and most of the population being too poor to own a GPS-capable device. If you look at cache logs from Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and Mexico, you will find many logs that aren't written in English or usernames that are also clearly not English. Relative to the United States, these countries have good internet access and a large enough population who can afford a device.

I am in the south right now and was at an event tonight and noticed there was no minority.

Not sure what your point is. Should there have been? Are there usually minorities at events where you are from? Were you not the only flying pig at the event?

Not really. I live in an area with very few minorities.

Well, yes, I thought there would be some black people geocaching. I asked a few people here and they all say its a very small %. So I guess geocaching in American is a white man sport.

Edited by SwineFlew

Was there a young girl jogging just ahead of their cars as they approached? Trust me... ANY man or men in a car in a situation like that would be likely to have a similar reaction.

I don't care who you are or where you are - you should always be aware of your surroundings and always be cautious of suspicious activity.

It's part of self defense that everyone (especially women & young girls) should be aware of.

That doesn't mean you have to avoid people or situations, it just means keep 'ON GUARD' and prepared.

I suppose it helps to be able to quickly assess if you might be in a dangerous situation and sometimes that has little to do with racial mix in a particular location. While in Tanzania I went into what some might have considered a rather seedy bar with two people I was working with there (one from Malawi, the other from Zambia). Despite the fact that I was the only white person in a bar with about 100 others I never felt uncomfortable

As an African-American living in Southern California most of my family and Black friends wonder why people go hiking, or search for boxes - it is not practical to them. I am not talking money wise but why would anyone spend their time camping or searching for boxes? They call these people nerds. It is just a general cultural concept. As for me I am proud to be Black, nerdy, and a geocacher because this is who I am.

Read the previous posts....nothing racist going on here....just observations smile.gif

Interesting that some folks have such a hysterical overreaction to simple observations. I think that tells us more about them then it does about the folks making those observations.

It also makes you wonder about the local cultures where they live. I'm glad I can talk about racial differences openly with my friends and family without anybody having a fit.

As an African-American living in Southern California most of my family and Black friends wonder why people go hiking, or search for boxes - it is not practical to them. I am not talking money wise but why would anyone spend their time camping or searching for boxes? They call these people nerds. It is just a general cultural concept. As for me I am proud to be Black, nerdy, and a geocacher because this is who I am.

I used to tell my boss that I was going camping and he would say, "well, why you go and pretend like you're homeless for the weekend, I'll be watching football and drinking some brews with my bros". It's just a different way of looking at things.

So for almost all the response look like they're coming from a U.S. perspective. Geocaching *is* an international game with players that may be in the minority in the U.S. but are not in other countries. Go caching in Africa, Asia, and Central and South America and Caucasian geocachers will be in the minority. I doubt that race has anything to do with the number of caches in many African countries but the first time I visited Tanzania, once I left the airport I didn't see another white person for two days.

Bingo.

I think the real question is why there are so few Russians.

The Russian question is fairly easy to answer. First, it doesn't matter how secure you make something in Russia, if it's not guarded, it will get stolen or broken into. Micro caches might have a chance there, but, a traditional cache with swag wouldn't last. Secondly, I don't know what the current law is on GPS there, but, when I first started visiting Russia in the late 90's, foreigners couldn't bring a GPS unit into the country. I remember reading about a foreign communications worker, doing surveys for cell tower installations, that was imprisoned for bringing in and using a GPS without government approval. He was charged with espionage.

I love the hobby of Geocaching and have also enjoyed meeting others with the same passion. Over the past couple years since I started caching, I have continued to notice a phenomenon. Geocachers are almost exclusively white. I say this after attending over 20 local events and 3 mega events and observing thousands of cachers. I have probably "observed" hundreds more in pictures or through Facebook groups about geocaching.

So my question is WHY???? I live in an urban area in Ohio, among a fairly diverse population. There are many, many middle-class people of all races living near me. There are a great number in technical fields such as computer science and engineering who work very close to where I live (I mention those fields only because it seems that I have met many cachers who have backgrounds in those fields).

Any theories? It seems odd to me that it is such a "white" hobby huh.gif

We are white?

Chris

167 posts before one post by a man that considers himself to be African-American (I'm guessing you are male. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that!)!

Do you see yourself as more in the black culture than the white culture, or vise-versa (or is that a stupid question?) I work with a guy that I guess most would consider to be black based on his physical characteristics, but he was raised in a very suburban environment and if you could only hear him and not see him, you would never guess that if you saw him in person, you could probably call him black.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that this thread is about cultural differences, not racial ones. Some... probably most... people follow the culture that is most aligned with their race, but not always. I know one predominately "white" cacher that seems to be very closely aligned with Hispanics, for example. Of course, there are probably very few Hispanic geocachers as well.. B)

Who cares?

I think a lot of people are interested in an academic discussion about the demography of geocaching. We're already up to 3 pages of discussion.

Yes, some people are just curious. Knowledge is key to understanding. If a person only looks at simple answers then they will have simple minds. One must look deeper in order to understand differences.

In Bahrain I have seen signs of one local cacher and several from abroad (a couple US, one Australian, one German). I have only been here a month so I am sure more will come out of the woodwork.

In Afghanistan, there were no local cachers. I believe there are very few local cachers in Qatar and Kuwait.

Temporarily off-topic: What are you doing over there?!?

So curious here as well.

Finishing off topic - I work for the government (I'm here to help... really!)

Back on topic...

I was half expecting folks in this thread to bring up things like Maslow's Triangle and how certain lifestyles cater to Geocaching. Once this is understood, then the view on race becomes more academic.

RIGHT ON, Time to find the Tupperware Arrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by humboldt flier

That's it. I'm doing urban geocaches after midnight now, or will find myself a caching team or partner, after the experience today of being yelled racial insults at AGAIN and also driven off a roadside cache by a small mob of young muggles in an SUV. Cache was along an 80kph road and there was no way I could have hid or evaded them.

That's it. I'm doing urban geocaches after midnight now, or will find myself a caching team or partner, after the experience today of being yelled racial insults at AGAIN and also driven off a roadside cache by a small mob of young muggles in an SUV. Cache was along an 80kph road and there was no way I could have hid or evaded them.

Or you could have just not gone after the cache in the first place. That doesn't sound like a location I'd like to be spending time while not giving traffic my undivided attention.

Or you could have just not gone after the cache in the first place. That doesn't sound like a location I'd like to be spending time while not giving traffic my undivided attention.

I'm not going to roll over and accept that I cannot access some caches because of my skin colour, while I am doing nothing illegal. All the more, I am going to make special effort to sign that micro, to spit in the face of anyone that tries to stop me. It is public land. I think I'm already giving them too much credit by even considering returning at night. When you have a field of view free of muggles for as far as the eye can see, but the road allows a vehicle to approach in the time it takes for you to make two steps, I'm not going to avoid doing a cache just because I'm the only non-white person for miles and really need to get into that bush while clutching a GPS.

I have met too many racist people here that claim that minorities and immigrants should leave because they 'don't assimilate'. Surely by doing a 'white man's' activity I am assimilating. Maybe I should take geocaching as a sort of crusade that will put me in locations that will challenge them.

I'm not going to roll over and accept that I cannot access some caches because of my skin colour, while I am doing nothing illegal.

I wasn't saying anything about your skin color. I'm saying that despite it being "public land", if a location is that dangerous due to the traffic, why are you standing there in the first place?

I'm not going to roll over and accept that I cannot access some caches because of my skin colour, while I am doing nothing illegal.

I wasn't saying anything about your skin color. I'm saying that despite it being "public land", if a location is that dangerous due to the traffic, why are you standing there in the first place?

Ah, sorry I misunderstood you. The cache itself is in the roadside vegetation, the best parking spot is in a lane branching off the opposite side of the road. A pedestrian could legally walk down either side of the road; although in this particular area, pedestrians aren't common. The SUV was following me while I was on the side with the cache. The risk involved, to most people, would be no more than that of crossing a moderately used road and standing beside it, as compared to a 5-star cache I did wo days ago which had me 10m up a tree lol. In the past, if I stood my ground when drunk people yelled at me, they would escalate to throwing things, so I could not linger over the cache location and hope to sign it while they were badgering me. They left only when I jumped back into my own car. Attempting to retrieve the log then would have also revealed its location and given the nature of the people (and i use that term generously) involved, likely resulted in its gleeful destruction.

Edited by storchburp

Sorry you have to put with this kind of crap. You shouldn't have to change anything you do because of a bunch of morons.

• Upvote 1

The type of cache he was looking for and it's proximity to the roadway is irrelevant.

I used to tell my boss that I was going camping and he would say, "well, why you go and pretend like you're homeless for the weekend, I'll be watching football and drinking some brews with my bros". It's just a different way of looking at things.

Yea I go fishing all the time and after a while I just let go almost everything I catch. I often get why would you fish if you just let them go. What is the point? Guess it is the same with geocaching.

I don't think geocaching is racist. There's also been a few questionable comments, we had a cache in South Carolina that was "in a dangerous neighborhood" in the description, which is codeword for black neighborhood.

But I think most it is just overall racist perceptions.. Think about it, cache get placed in upper middle class white neighborhood, black man shows up, and immediately the calls start coming to the cops about a "suspicious man" in the neighborhood.

It can happen to anyone.

I was caching in a "upper middle class white neighborhood" and was approached by a very irate white guy. I was looking for a stop sign cache on a corner. He yelled at me and said he was going to call the cops if I didn’t leave “his neighborhood”. And I’m not black.

I don't think geocaching is racist. There's also been a few questionable comments, we had a cache in South Carolina that was "in a dangerous neighborhood" in the description, which is codeword for black neighborhood.

But I think most it is just overall racist perceptions.. Think about it, cache get placed in upper middle class white neighborhood, black man shows up, and immediately the calls start coming to the cops about a "suspicious man" in the neighborhood.

It can happen to anyone.

I was caching in a "upper middle class white neighborhood" and was approached by a very irate white guy. I was looking for a stop sign cache on a corner. He yelled at me and said he was going to call the cops if I didn’t leave “his neighborhood”. And I’m not black.

+1,000. A stop sign in an "upper middle class neighborhood" is about the stupidest cache location I could possibly think of. I will however, cut a little slack if it was placed by a 14 year old who lives in that neighborhood, which is quite possible. :)

Point being, anyone is going to raise suspicion in such a case. One of my best caching friends is a 5 foot, 65 year old woman. A little old lady, if you will. I'll bet the same guy would have gone off on her in a second too.

My friend and I were interrogated by three cops in three different cars that had been called to investigate our searching for a nano at the base of a sign in an upscale neighborhood. Any time I turn into one of these upscale subdivisions, I sigh dry.gif I should just avoid such situations and go back to my ammo cans in the woods tongue.gif

It can happen to anyone.

I have been several places that were public and been yelled at. Going along a power trail in illinois, A guy told me he called the cops and his neighbor almost shot at me... Im white, he was white. just, as I would say, a moron.

Edited by DirtyBeard

+1,000. A stop sign in an "upper middle class neighborhood" is about the stupidest cache location I could possibly think of.

In my state, those caches are now illegal in South Carolina now, those are considered to be "right of way" caches, SC Title 57 Section 57-7-20.

I should say also being male will add suspicion to some people. Say a cache is at a park near where kids play, a female could sneak behind the bush and probably no one would care. A middle aged male does it without kids, and it doesn't look as good.

It can happen to anyone.

+1,000. A stop sign in an "upper middle class neighborhood" is about the stupidest cache location I could possibly think of.

I can think of one. I found one on a "Neighborhood Watch" sign in an upper middle class neighborhood.

Most of the geocachers in my area (Baltimore) are white people with most of them being middle aged or older. So at events I stick out like a sore thumb, but it doesn't bother me because every geocacher I have met in my area has been extremely nice to me. And I never felt an inkling of racism from them. I can only speak for my area, but I have heard of racism still occurring amongst geocachers in the southern States. Which I think is sad.

Its not an income issue per say, I know plenty of my minority friends who have I-phones and could afford a GPS. It's cultural and its also where you are and how you grew up. I know a few of my African American and Caribbean friends who go on hikes in the woods and would love geocaching but they are biology majors. The typical city person is not going to be going out bushwhacking through the woods to find an ammo box, no matter what race they are.

I took my friend hispanic friend Ericka geocaching on a local trail, she loved it. I've gone on long hikes with friends of many races out in the woods but that's because we grew up doing that. If you didn't grow up where its fun to play in the dirt, build forts, and find treasure you probably aren't going to go looking for it.

Also I agree with some people who've brought up the racism issue, its true. Especially where I live if you are in the wrong neighborhood caching alone there may be problems.

That being said I think if it was publicized more it would get out more, I found out about geocaching when I recieved a GPS for my car and was looking up how to use it. I think I was looking in a metal detector magazine when I found out about caching, if it hadn't been for that I would have never started.

I do agree if you cannot afford the a data plan on your phone that allows for you to use the software and GPS needed to find a cache you really can't cache. The GPS devices are way beyond my normal budget and i'm currently saving so that I can get one myself in case I cannot afford my plan someday.

All in all I think its a money issue in some ways no matter what race you are but also its more targeted in the publicity towards whites.

It can happen to anyone.

I can think of one. I found one on a "Neighborhood Watch" sign in an upper middle class neighborhood.

Sorry to double post, I just wanted to say I had this same issue with a guy, except he tailed me into a dead end cemetery and blocked the exit with his car. When I waited him out and went to leave he got out of his car and started yelling I was being erratic and that he lived there and I needed to get out and he was calling the cops. I wasn't being erratic and even after that the guy tried to follow me. I'm white but it was an upper middle class neighborhood near a poor one and the democratic stickers in a primarily republican neighborhood may not have helped.

I learned my lesson..cache with pets and bring friends next time. He would have come up to the car had it not been for my dog growling and barking at him.

Wow.....

The word MINORITY

This word can mean different things to different people. All of which may or may not be positively portrayed.

Are you the type of person who sees the word 'MINORITY' as a statistical & factual list of numbers?

Are you the type of person who sees the word 'MINORITY' as a group physically & ethnically characterized?

Are you the type of person who sees the word 'MINORITY' as a group that are disadvantaged in income?

Are you the type of person who sees the word 'MINORITY' as a group that lacks intelligence or morals?

Are you the type of person who sees the word 'MINORITY' as a group with 'all of the above'?

Depending on how YOU see it....will depend on how YOU react to those people whom you believe fall into the 'minority' category.

It's not the fault of the 'MINORITY' - it's the fault within OURSELVES whom make assumptions of character.

I see it as numbers, and taking all races into consideration I believe the white American is the minority.

Most of the geocachers in my area (Baltimore) are white people with most of them being middle aged or older. So at events I stick out like a sore thumb, but it doesn't bother me because every geocacher I have met in my area has been extremely nice to me. And I never felt an inkling of racism from them. I can only speak for my area, but I have heard of racism still occurring amongst geocachers in the southern States. Which I think is sad.

Nice to hear you've had nothing but positive experiences in your area. There have been at least two premium member surveys over the years, and they have the demographics. I don't have what they released in front of me, but the average Geocacher is indeed middle aged. I'll be hitting the big 5-oh in a couple of months, for example. :P I'm sure Groundspeak has the race data as well, but I doubt they'd release that.