Why so few minority geocachers?

geocat_

I don't think geocaching is racist. There's also been a few questionable comments, we had a cache in South Carolina that was "in a dangerous neighborhood" in the description, which is codeword for black neighborhood.

But I think most it is just overall racist perceptions.. Think about it, cache get placed in upper middle class white neighborhood, black man shows up, and immediately the calls start coming to the cops about a "suspicious man" in the neighborhood.

Accusing the naive of using "code words" is just as stupid as racism.

I think we need to try n break this down further. Not just lumping caucasians into one group and ALL OTHER non-whites as minorties. I want a total break down in percentages of caucasians too. Why is their more Americans then Canadian caching and Canadians then Australians and where does Englands whites fall or Scotlands caucasians. Russia? Sweden? France? lets get some numbers going here.

Ok ill start

ONE WHITE Canadian of Scottish/Aborigional decent.......oh dadgum, and i a caucasion or a minorty.

Ok lets start again here.......

(tounge in cheek)

Allright, being a Russian geocacher I think I can answer the question "why are not so many Russians here in the game?"

a) Russia is a country of enormous territory and poor dissemination of GPS technologies. Geocaching isn't known to vast majority of people who have GPS-enabled devices, and in many cities and towns there are no geocachers at all.

B) Russian community has developed its own national geocaching website with different database, regulations, traditions, etc. Most of Russians used to play there. This community has becoming more and more isolated from the world geocaching community. E.g. virtual caches are still very popular and people often come not really to hunt a cache but to visit a place of interest. Another example: Russian website has banned placing caches in big cities until Oct 2010 (thinking that "citycaching" could ruin the idea of geocaching as an outdoor activity) so it was really difficult to involve new players to the game.

c) Not really many Russians speak/read English fluently and geocaching.com has not been localized in our language.

Edited by -CJ-

It is depressing to read of SgtSue's experiences. I live in Silicon Valley and this problem is not prevalent, but it does exist. I plead guilty to the white hair part, but I've done some 4.5 and 5 terrain caches in recent years. There are many Asian geocachers in this area, and younger folks, too, but I think this may be due to the mix of high-tech professionals around here. In my local high school district whites are the minority (about 47%, with Asians 44% or so, and the rest black or Hispanic). There are not many Hispanic or black geocachers, although the caching community here includes (and welcomes) them. In my novel, Cached Out two of the main characters (good guys) are minority (Chinese and Mexican-American), in part to reflect the diversity of this area, in part to counterbalance the fact that the drug growers in the hills (bad guys) are portrayed as Mexicans, but primarily to show that geocaching can appeal to everyone if they just learn about it and try it.

This may sound like ressurecting an old thread, but I am a minority where I live and had such an unpleasant experience with my first cache that it nearly turned me completely off the hobby - I now know I was just abysmally unlucky and I have had very positive experiences since. Long story short, the cache was by the side of a dead-end road, and I was looking for a place to park. When I did so, a white female muggle came jogging by. I overtook her very slowly and carefully on the narrow road, before finding a parking spot. Then I waited for her to pass again before approaching the cache so as to not reveal its location.

After the thrill of finding and signing my first cache, on the way out I am confronted by her furious father and get an earful of racial slurs and threats to call the police for following his daughter. This is in country Australia and on public land, and there was absolutely no way I could get in or out without making a u-turn. He refused to listen to my explanation of what geocaching was and did not want to see the cache or my Garmin and told me to get out immediately and to never come back.

Nowadays I carry a camera when geocaching so I can play the part of a nature photography-obsessed tourist, so its not all bad. Later on, a male white muggle on his dirtbike came upon me when I was hiking to a forest cache and kept trying to do stunts on the track to impress me into taking his picture. Friendly but exasperating lol.

Edited by storchburp

This may sound like ressurecting an old thread, but I am a minority where I live and had such an unpleasant experience with my first cache that it nearly turned me completely off the hobby - I now know I was just abysmally unlucky and I have had very positive experiences since. Long story short, the cache was by the side of a dead-end road, and I was looking for a place to park. When I did so, a white female muggle came jogging by. I overtook her very slowly and carefully on the narrow road, before finding a parking spot. Then I waited for her to pass again before approaching the cache so as to not reveal its location.

After the thrill of finding and signing my first cache, on the way out I am confronted by her furious father and get an earful of racial slurs and threats to call the police for following his daughter. This is in country Australia and on public land, and there was absolutely no way I could get in or out without making a u-turn. He refused to listen to my explanation of what geocaching was and did not want to see the cache or my Garmin and told me to get out immediately and to never come back.

Aside from the racial slurs that were used, that sounds like an experience that could have (and probably would have) happened to any of us white males as well, given the situation. The daughter felt followed and reported her percieved threat to her father.

Nowadays I carry a camera when geocaching so I can play the part of a nature photography-obsessed tourist, so its not all bad. Later on, a male white muggle on his dirtbike came upon me when I was hiking to a forest cache and kept trying to do stunts on the track to impress me into taking his picture. Friendly but exasperating lol.

A lot of thoughts go through my head with this situation - and mostly from a self defense related standpoint on both sides. Ultimately, if the father is THAT concerned about her safety, he should go jogging with her or not allow her to go alone. PERIOD. Confronting someone after the fact, won't prevent it from happening ( if a real situation would occur. It's too dadgum late)

As he confronts you, you've got your own safety to worry about. He could've been a frigin lunatic!

Unfortunately, racism still exists in the world and because you are a minority ....that will probably not be your last negative encounter.

A lot of thoughts go through my head with this situation - and mostly from a self defense related standpoint on both sides. Ultimately, if the father is THAT concerned about her safety, he should go jogging with her or not allow her to go alone. PERIOD. Confronting someone after the fact, won't prevent it from happening ( if a real situation would occur. It's too dadgum late)

As he confronts you, you've got your own safety to worry about. He could've been a frigin lunatic!

Unfortunately, racism still exists in the world and because you are a minority ....that will probably not be your last negative encounter.

I've put some thought into how to deal with the issue in the future, aside from masquerading as a tourist. One solution might be to suddenly ask to photograph muggles that approach me before they speak up - its awfully hard to get angry at a friendly dude with a camera speaking in (faux) broken English begging for a photograph of you. If this could be seen as confrontational, then an alternative would be to ask him/her to take a photograph of me against the scenery.

The other solution is more of a workaround, that people are simply planning on robbing me of the camera or GPS; fortunately both are outdated, inexpensive models and contain no personal information stored in them.

Aside from the racial slurs that were used, that sounds like an experience that could have (and probably would have) happened to any of us white males as well, given the situation. The daughter felt followed and reported her percieved threat to her father.

More than 200 finds were logged for this cache prior to me, and its a beginner cache to boot. The least I could do is tell him that others were likely to arrive there in the future.

Why does race/culture even have to be brought up in the first place? I see this thread as pointless. Unless OP is a member of a group like ACLU and wants to push an agenda like "Affirmative Action" bull crap or wants to project Geocaching itself as being racist.

Edited by gustav129

I've put some thought into how to deal with the issue in the future, aside from masquerading as a tourist. One solution might be to suddenly ask to photograph muggles that approach me before they speak up - its awfully hard to get angry at a friendly dude with a camera speaking in (faux) broken English begging for a photograph of you. If this could be seen as confrontational, then an alternative would be to ask him/her to take a photograph of me against the scenery.

The other solution is more of a workaround, that people are simply planning on robbing me of the camera or GPS; fortunately both are outdated, inexpensive models and contain no personal information stored in them.

More than 200 finds were logged for this cache prior to me, and its a beginner cache to boot. The least I could do is tell him that others were likely to arrive there in the future.

Was there a young girl jogging just ahead of their cars as they approached? Trust me... ANY man or men in a car in a situation like that would be likely to have a similar reaction.

I don't think geocaching is racist. There's also been a few questionable comments, we had a cache in South Carolina that was "in a dangerous neighborhood" in the description, which is codeword for black neighborhood.

But I think most it is just overall racist perceptions.. Think about it, cache get placed in upper middle class white neighborhood, black man shows up, and immediately the calls start coming to the cops about a "suspicious man" in the neighborhood.

To quote the OP:

It seems odd to me that it is such a "white" hobby

Just normal inquisitiveness, it would seem to me. Its a fair question.

Was there a young girl jogging just ahead of their cars as they approached? Trust me... ANY man or men in a car in a situation like that would be likely to have a similar reaction.

I don't care who you are or where you are - you should always be aware of your surroundings and always be cautious of suspicious activity.

It's part of self defense that everyone (especially women & young girls) should be aware of.

That doesn't mean you have to avoid people or situations, it just means keep 'ON GUARD' and prepared.

As a young girl... I would never go jogging alone!!

It's more likely to happen, and to happen more often, to a member of a minority group, which is one reason why they may eschew such activities in the first place.

Why does race/culture even have to be brought up in the first place? I see this thread as pointless. Unless OP is a member of a group like ACLU and wants to push an agenda like "Affirmative Action" bull crap or wants to project Geocaching itself as being racist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

So how does me being white give me an advantage to finding an ammo can under a log?

It's more likely to happen, and to happen more often, to a member of a minority group, which is one reason why they may eschew such activities in the first place.

The way he described it, driving slowly behind her, stopping, etc... no. It could have happened to any of us. Now, perhaps there are other situations... looking for a cache by the dumpster in an alley... there we may experience less suspicion. But in the case described... we all would be suspect.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Really???????????????????????????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

So how does me being white give me an advantage to finding an ammo can under a log?

I am of Scots-Irish decent and my family tree can be traced to the Applachain Mountain region before America was founded. I'm not offended by the term "Hillbilly" or the fact that Moonshining has been a way of life for many of the Mountain people. So my folks have likely been stashing jars of corn likker under logs for hundreds of years, so does that mean I'm better at finding ammo cans under logs? Maybe this is why my Native American friend is a better geocacher than I am. :blink:

I'll answer that when you can show me where anyone ever made that claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

The way he described it, driving slowly behind her, stopping, etc... no. It could have happened to any of us. Now, perhaps there are other situations... looking for a cache by the dumpster in an alley... there we may experience less suspicion. But in the case described... we all would be suspect.

Who is denying that? Of course it could happen to anyone. But minorities are more likely to attract such attention.

Who is denying that? Of course it could happen to anyone. But minorities are more likely to attract such attention.

In that particular situation, I say "balogna". No such thing as more than 100% and I'm saying that 100% of men would attract such attention in the situation described:

I was looking for a place to park. When I did so, a white female muggle came jogging by. I overtook her very slowly and carefully on the narrow road, before finding a parking spot. Then I waited for her to pass again before approaching the cache

I'm a 60+ year old male, and that would get MY attention, regardless of the race of the driver in the car.

Edited by knowschad

I'll answer that when you can show me where anyone ever made that claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Your post that inferred that geocaching is a "White Privilege". I just think it's ridiculous that the issue of race/minority was even brought up in the first place.

Edited by gustav129

I just think it's ridiculous that the issue of race/minority was even brought up in the first place.

Why should we NOT talk about it? There was nothing implied in the OP aside from curiosity about a clearly visible difference in who gets involved in geocaching. If, for some reason, there was a majority of redheads in geocaching, that would also make a good question. (In fact... that might be a VERY good question! :lol:)

Edited by knowschad

Who's to say a particular group is a minority. I'm white, I grew up in Atlanta, GA. I was definitely a minority there. In fact, when I left Atlanta in 2000 the demographics were as follows:

African American: 255,689; 61.4%

Whites: 138,352; 33.2%

...and so forth...

The people who are involved in geocaching are the people who are interested in it. The "curiosity" of the issue came across as almost like "How do we get more 'minorities' involved?" I guess comes from more of bad timing with a nasty political battle where both sides were playing certain "race cards" trying to earn "such and such race" votes.

It shouldn't be an issue, but it's always brought up as an issue. I see it in so many aspects of life, I just expected Geocaching would be the place where it wouldn't be an issue at all and never be brought up.

Who's to say a particular group is a minority.

I think it is the census bureau that decides.

I'm white, I grew up in Atlanta, GA. I was definitely a minority there. In fact, when I left Atlanta in 2000 the demographics were as follows:

African American: 255,689; 61.4%

Whites: 138,352; 33.2%

...and so forth...

Yes, that put you in the minority for that area, for sure.

The "curiosity" of the issue came across as almost like "How do we get more 'minorities' involved?" I guess comes from more of bad timing with a nasty political battle where both sides were playing certain "race cards" trying to earn "such and such race" votes.

It shouldn't be an issue, but it's always brought up as an issue. I see it in so many aspects of life, I just expected Geocaching would be the place where it wouldn't be an issue at all and never be brought up.

I think you are reading that in. I don't see a bit of that in the OP. I don't see him implying that there is an "issue" regarding race. Not in the least. Just because somebody mentions race, or asks a question about it, doesn't mean that they are hinting at an issue.

Edited by knowschad

At least knowschad seems to have my back :D As the OP, I will try to restate this in a way that everyone who keeps calling me a racist or implying that I have some secret aganda can understand...

1. geoCATing goes to 3 mega events
  2. geoCATing sees that those in attendance are >99% white. (please note, this is not an observation of ehtnicity, gender preference, or religion).
  3. geoCATing thinks to self, "Self, I wonder why the distribution of people with different skin color at these mega events is so different than the makeup of the people in the United States???"
  4. geoCATing poses this question via Groundpeak forums

Wow.....

The word MINORITY

This word can mean different things to different people. All of which may or may not be positively portrayed.

Are you the type of person who sees the word 'MINORITY' as a statistical & factual list of numbers?

Are you the type of person who sees the word 'MINORITY' as a group physically & ethnically characterized?

Are you the type of person who sees the word 'MINORITY' as a group that are disadvantaged in income?

Are you the type of person who sees the word 'MINORITY' as a group that lacks intelligence or morals?

Are you the type of person who sees the word 'MINORITY' as a group with 'all of the above'?

Depending on how YOU see it....will depend on how YOU react to those people whom you believe fall into the 'minority' category.

It's not the fault of the 'MINORITY' - it's the fault within OURSELVES whom make assumptions of character.

"the smaller in number of two groups constituting a whole" - nothing more, nothing less...

Yet you took it a step further and brought up the race (99% white from your perspective), from your personal experiences in your area, yet you lumped it in geocaching as a whole, calling geocaching a "white hobby".

That one line is what sparked everything from me.

"the smaller in number of two groups constituting a whole" - nothing more, nothing less...

Yet you took it a step further and brought up the race (99% white from your perspective), from your personal experiences in your area, yet you lumped it in geocaching as a whole, calling geocaching a "white hobby".

Dude, it is what it is. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with it. You act like you want to hide from the fact that geocaching is primarily a white hobby.

My informal sampling. About 200 Geocachers met. A few Asians, one Latino, and one black. Demographics of my area, 42% Latino, 41% White, 11% Asian, 4% Black.

In reality, the geocachers in my area are overwhelmingly minorities, we're also white. The thing is, at least in my little part of the world, no one is being excluded. I've explained Geocaching to my diverse group of coworkers and none of them really cared. If "Josh" had expressed an interest and asked to go caching with me, I wouldn't say, "sorry, you're black". Nor would I beg him to go because there needs to be more black Geocachers.

Edited by Don_J

I think what brought the bile to the boiling point was the implication that there might be institutionalized discriminatory collusion in play, not to mention the broadside shot of white privilege.

FWIW: I think the last census revealed that "snowflakes" had entered minority status in the U.S.A.

As far as some of the unfortunate incidents out in the real world where profiling / scapegoating occur ... that is a matter of concern. However, as others have pointed out even "snowflakes" get the evil stink eye when out and about.

Have you ever seen a lone male cacher searching in /around a park full of kids. NOT a pretty site when the neighborhood and legal storm-troopers roll up.

Indeed there may be more "snowflakes" in the hobby.

Edited by humboldt flier

Dude, it is what it is. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with it. You act like you want to hide from the fact that geocaching is primarily a white hobby.

My informal sampling. About 200 Geocachers met. A few Asians, one Latino, and one black. Demographics of my area, 42% Latino, 41% White, 11% Asian, 4% Black.

In reality, the geocachers in my area are overwhelmingly minorities, we're also white. The thing is, at least in my little part of the world, no one is being excluded. I've explained Geocaching to my diverse group of coworkers and none of them really cared. If "Josh" had expressed an interest and asked to go caching with me, I wouldn't say, "sorry, you're black". Nor would I beg him to go because there needs to be more black Geocachers.

Geocaching is a World Wide hobby, open to everybody. As others have posted, "What about in Asia? Or Africa?" Calling it a "White Hobby" (and refering to any non-whites as minorities) based on people's experiences in the Midwest is just not right

I too have brought up the same point, growing up in Atlanta where whites are by far the minority.

I'm glad that you added the last two words... because yours is not interpretation that most of us have of that sentence. In my opinion, it is more racist to deliberately NOT talk about race than it is to mention it in a non-racial, factual context like that. And nowhere in there does he imply, by my reading, anything about we need to balance things out. He simply made an observation, and questioned the reason.

I'm glad that you added the last two words... because yours is not interpretation that most of us have of that sentence. In my opinion, it is more racist to deliberately NOT talk about race than it is to mention it in a non-racial, factual context like that. And nowhere in there does he imply, by my reading, anything about we need to balance things out. He simply made an observation, and questioned the reason.

I'm not understanding how you can say it's "non-racial" context, when it's been CLEARLY a racial context.

If the OP said "Hmm, I've noticed that in my area, mostly whites geocache", that's fine, have a discussion about it. But to go further and call geocaching a "white hobby", as the OP has been quoted saying, makes it a racial context.

I'm not understanding how you can say it's "non-racial" context, when it's been CLEARLY a racial context.

If the OP said "Hmm, I've noticed that in my area, mostly whites geocache", that's fine, have a discussion about it. But to go further and call geocaching a "white hobby", as the OP has been quoted saying, makes it a racial context.

I intended to write non-racist. You are correct... it does concern race. But that doesn't make it racist, which was what I meant to say.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. The OP's "white hobby" comment was an observation, not a rule! He isn't saying that minority groups either should be, or have been, kept out of geocaching... he is saying that they don't participate in geocaching in anywhere near the same number. Therefore, it is a hobby that mostly whites practice, ergo, a "white hobby". Nothing nefarious going on here. Really.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. The OP's "white hobby" comment was an observation, not a rule! He isn't saying that minority groups either should be, or have been, kept out of geocaching... he is saying that they don't participate in geocaching in anywhere near the same number. Therefore, it is a hobby that mostly whites practice, ergo, a "white hobby". Nothing nefarious going on here. Really.

We can agree to disagree. That's that.

EDIT: This post meant that a good point was made, and that's the end of my conversation

Edited by gustav129

We can agree to disagree. That's that.

You can agree to disagree but I am the only one who knows the OP's intentions. So don't make this out to be more than it is. It's a simple observation. What if I said that there are more blacks than whites in the NBA? Or more whites than blacks in the NHL? Use your left brain instead of your right. Simple numbers....NOT racist tongue.gif

Geocaching is a World Wide hobby, open to everybody. As others have posted, "What about in Asia? Or Africa?" Calling it a "White Hobby" (and refering to any non-whites as minorities) based on people's experiences in the Midwest is just not right

I too have brought up the same point, growing up in Atlanta where whites are by far the minority.

Are white geocachers the minority of geocachers in Atlanta, or does the demographics of cachers follow the demographics of the city? I just zoomed in on Atlanta and choose caches by ten different owners. Their profile/gallery photos reveal them to be white. I did the same thing for Africa. The southern part of the continent seems to have white geocachers. The rest of the continent seems to have a lot of caches placed by white people visiting from the US. I opened 15 profiles from Africa and found one black geocacher.

I think that the point here is that among geocachers, non-whites are the minority. It's obvious. Even in areas where whites are the minority of the population, they are still the majority of geocachers.

Who cares?

I think a lot of people are interested in an academic discussion about the demography of geocaching. We're already up to 3 pages of discussion.

Yes, some people are just curious. Knowledge is key to understanding. If a person only looks at simple answers then they will have simple minds. One must look deeper in order to understand differences.

In Bahrain I have seen signs of one local cacher and several from abroad (a couple US, one Australian, one German). I have only been here a month so I am sure more will come out of the woodwork.

In Afghanistan, there were no local cachers. I believe there are very few local cachers in Qatar and Kuwait.

Who cares?

I think a lot of people are interested in an academic discussion about the demography of geocaching. We're already up to 3 pages of discussion.

Yes, some people are just curious. Knowledge is key to understanding. If a person only looks at simple answers then they will have simple minds. One must look deeper in order to understand differences.

In Bahrain I have seen signs of one local cacher and several from abroad (a couple US, one Australian, one German). I have only been here a month so I am sure more will come out of the woodwork.

In Afghanistan, there were no local cachers. I believe there are very few local cachers in Qatar and Kuwait.

Temporarily off-topic: What are you doing over there?!?

Who cares?

Temporarily off-topic: What are you doing over there?!?

So curious here as well.

I'm skimming this Canadian Masters Thesis conclusion section : Achieving Cultural Diversity in Wilderness Recreation:

A Study of the Chinese in Vancouver

I found this interesting:

7)
Ensure that all ethnic minority groups feel welcome in park spaces.
This is essential in

a publicly-funded park system. Lee (in Carr & Williams, 1993) observed that individuals tend to

seek recreation sites occupied by others whom they perceive to be similar enough to

themselves to feel they belong. This is most often based on ethnic composition. Some

respondents in the present study implied they perceive parks as "white" spaces, which might

deter visitation. Goldsmith (1994) also notes that ethnic minority groups do not see themselves

mirrored in park staffing. As such, the following strategies are recommended:

* Park managers and tourism agencies should ensure that the ethnocultural demographics of

Canada are reflected in advertisements about parks (e.g. television, posters, websites,

brochures). This would convey to ethnic minority groups and the general public that parks

are inclusive spaces that can be enjoyed by everyone in the community.

* Park managers should employ culturally diverse staff, based on their expertise and skills.

This should be done at both the field level (e.g. rangers, park interpreters), so that visitors

can directly interact with staff, as well as at the policy level (e.g. park planners and

managers), so that visitors' diverse needs can be addressed from a multicultural

perspective.

Generally the GC site is fairly neutral, especially the homepage where the images are mostly graphic. That's a good thing. However, when exploring the site, whenever there are photos or videos of geocachers, they reflect the current 'ethnicity' of geocachers, which is mostly white male. That's understandable. But in order to make geocaching more appealing to a diverse group perhaps there needs to be more diverse representation in promotional materials such as videos and photos.

Not that GC doesn't have diversity representation - this is my favourite GC video which includes an african-american woman enjoying a hike with her dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=To0qeX2oXVQ=youtube_gdata_player

I especially like it because I'm a woman and really relate to this video and this particular geocaching experience.

Maybe more of this kind of representation could attract a diverse audience.

Edited by L0ne R

I'm skimming this Canadian Masters Thesis conclusion section : Achieving Cultural Diversity in Wilderness Recreation:

A Study of the Chinese in Vancouver

I found this interesting:

7)
Ensure that all ethnic minority groups feel welcome in park spaces.
This is essential in

a publicly-funded park system. Lee (in Carr & Williams, 1993) observed that individuals tend to

seek recreation sites occupied by others whom they perceive to be similar enough to

themselves to feel they belong. This is most often based on ethnic composition. Some

respondents in the present study implied they perceive parks as "white" spaces, which might

deter visitation. Goldsmith (1994) also notes that ethnic minority groups do not see themselves

mirrored in park staffing. As such, the following strategies are recommended:

* Park managers and tourism agencies should ensure that the ethnocultural demographics of

Canada are reflected in advertisements about parks (e.g. television, posters, websites,

brochures). This would convey to ethnic minority groups and the general public that parks

are inclusive spaces that can be enjoyed by everyone in the community.

* Park managers should employ culturally diverse staff, based on their expertise and skills.

This should be done at both the field level (e.g. rangers, park interpreters), so that visitors

can directly interact with staff, as well as at the policy level (e.g. park planners and

managers), so that visitors' diverse needs can be addressed from a multicultural

perspective.

Generally the GC site is fairly neutral, especially the homepage where the images are mostly graphic. That's a good thing. However, when exploring the site, whenever there are photos or videos of geocachers, they reflect the current 'ethnicity' of geocachers, which is mostly white male. That's understandable. But in order to make geocaching more appealing to a diverse group perhaps there needs to be more diverse representation in promotional materials such as videos and photos.

Not that GC doesn't have diversity representation - this is my favourite GC video which includes an african-american woman enjoying a hike with her dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=To0qeX2oXVQ=youtube_gdata_player

I especially like it because I'm a woman and really relate to this video and this particular geocaching experience.

Maybe more of this kind of representation could attract a diverse audience.

"so that visitors' diverse needs can be addressed from a multicultural

perspective."

That just kind of leaped off the page at me.

People are people. What specific need could a person of a certain ethnicity, in this case Chinese, need from a park? According to that article, more Chinese, but that's just circular logic.

Your post that inferred that geocaching is a "White Privilege". I just think it's ridiculous that the issue of race/minority was even brought up in the first place.

My post inferred no such thing, that's just your projection. It was meant to point out your white privilege. You have the privilege to think it is "ridiculous" even bring up this issue, while we are forced to live with that issue every day.