Cache container

I wasn't really sure how to title this one.

With all the local issues going on (we have a few trouble makers in the caching community), I'm looking to make sure there is zero issues with any of my new cache containers I plan to put out.

For containers that are half in the ground or more (fake sprinkler head for example), would this be considered burried or not?

I am not planning on using this paricular container exampled. It was just the first container that came to mind that would be a good example of what I was asking.

I wasn't really sure how to title this one.

With all the local issues going on (we have a few trouble makers in the caching community), I'm looking to make sure there is zero issues with any of my new cache containers I plan to put out.

For containers that are half in the ground or more (fake sprinkler head for example), would this be considered burried or not?

I am not planning on using this paricular container exampled. It was just the first container that came to mind that would be a good example of what I was asking.

There have probably been a dozen different threads started recently or old bumped threads that discuss the "No Buried Caches" (or more accurate, "Caches are never buried") guideline.

For the most part, whenever this comes up, what I've seen is that most people that want to claim that a fake sprinkler head is withing the guidelines base their argument on a semantic interpretation of the guideline that will allow a fake sprinkler cache to be placed rather than look at the reason why the guideline is in place.

IMHO, the question you should be asking is not whether or not a specific container type or hiding method is "against the rules", but whether or not a specific container type or hiding method *should* be used. If a certain hiding style or container has the potential of giving land managers a bad impression about geocaching it shouldn't be used.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

There have probably been a dozen different threads started recently or old bumped threads that discuss the "No Buried Caches" (or more accurate, "Caches are never buried") guideline.

That should probably read "Caches are usually not buried".

Or, perhaps "Caches are never buried, unless you name them Mingo". :P:lol::ph34r:<_<

In that case, there's always the fourth paragraph on the Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines page:

"Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches. This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache. If a geocache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it. However, if the geocache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated, the geocache is likely to be grandfathered and allowed to stand as is."

The use of the term "never" and the concept of "grandfathering" is bound to cause confusion.

That should probably read "Caches are usually not buried".

Or, perhaps "Caches are never buried, unless you name them Mingo". :P:lol::ph34r:<_<

In that case, there's always the fourth paragraph on the Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines page:

"Please be advised that there is no precedent for placing geocaches. This means that the past publication of a similar geocache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the publication of a new geocache. If a geocache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it. However, if the geocache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated, the geocache is likely to be grandfathered and allowed to stand as is."

The use of the term "never" and the concept of "grandfathering" is bound to cause confusion.

Very true. The catch all rule can be good and bad at the same time. Luckly we have some great reviewers. A couple new ones in the area, but I think we've broken them in for the most part.

Yeah, I'm not comfortable when absolutes are injected into situations where they obviously don't belong. I feel that particular bit of fabrication was added to the Guidelines just to impress land managers. The truth would have served Groundspeak just as well.

The "underground" cache that comes to mind is Bloody Fingers Dirty Diapers http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=51afef6b-da65-473f-99d0-560cde81eb45

It has over 250 favorite points in about 1500 finds. It cannot be located using a GPSr.

I own a peanut butter jar cache that is more than 50 feet below the surrounding countryside. I put it there so people would know that they were in the proper place to answer the questions on my first Earth Cache.

Try to come up with a unique cache container that is all more than an eighth inch above the ground. My caches range from 12 fl. oz to about 8 gallons. My 12 oz. screw top container cache is named minimum size.