[FEATURE] modification of the implimentation of notifications

DukeOfURL01

As a premium member, I maintain many notifications. I have several areas monitored, places that I currently live, places that I have lived, my hometown, etc. But I am limited to, I think it's 35, notifications. The problem lies in that I have to maintain a seperate notification for each cache-type, for each location. Example would be: Traditionals in X, Multis in X, Puzzles in X, etc. My suggestion is to make an option for Type of Cache when setting up a notification, All Cache Types, in addition to each and every cache type out there. It would be A LOT more efficient. Then I don't have to have 18 different notifications set up for each area that I wish to monitor, just 1.

thank you

YES Please +1

I would think the entire community would agree with this one, and it seems like it should be reasonably easy to fix.

There are 18 cache types. If I want to be notified about any new cache near home or work, that is 18*2=36 notifications to setup and manage. I missed an awesome Wherigo recently because of course I didn't bother to set that one up.

Even though one doesn't have to use a notification of certain cache types for certain areas, sometimes there's just one there, like a webcam, and I like to know if somebody's gotten it. Or perhaps a Wherigo hybrid, there's a few of those around. I still think a "all cache types" would be a good idea for setting up notifications for an area, and then for things that don't apply like "attended" or "will attend" that don't apply to like a traditional, simply ignore them. But the notification simply must say what type of cache it is in the body, if a notification comes out for it, I think it already does, so...good...

Another idea is find a way to make notifications txt msg friendly, under the 160 character limit of a txt.

I like it the way it is.

AFAIK notifications have 4 dimensions: cache type, log type, coordinates, distance. Honestly, I can not imagine how you can improve much of the system how it is today without making notifications less powerful. You could do some sort of a "2D-grid" for one pair of coordinates and log type where for every log type one can select the distance or for a pair of coordinates and cache type where for every cache type one can select the distance.

I do use different combinations of all of these dimensions, which results in many different notifications. However, it would be useful do include the name of the notification in the header of the email...

Edited by tifig

I like it the way it is.

AFAIK notifications have 4 dimensions: cache type, log type, coordinates, distance. Honestly, I can not imagine how you can improve much of the system how it is today without making notifications less powerful.

The suggest seems quite simple to me: keep everything exactly the way it is, except add a way to say "all cache types". Even better, I suppose, would be handling the cache type exactly the same way it handles the log type: with check boxes so you can select multiple cache types for a single notification just as you can now select multiple log types.

As far as I can see, that wouldn't even change the existing feature, let alone make it less powerful.