Writing a Profile?

Nick&Nora2

Just joined on 01-Oct-2012 and we're trying to figure out what to include in our profile. Is it just too dang early to write it? Do we need to think about it for awhile? Any suggestions would be appreciated! BTW, we went on our 1st outing today and found 2 caches! (Okay---yes, we picked easy ones since we're newbies....)

welcome to the hobby. IMHO, a profile is not a key aspect of caching, the key things are to hide and find caches, meet people and explore new places. Your profile won't hardly even be noticed by others. I'd wait.

Some folks put puzzle information in their profile. Some folks put their stats in it (like I do). Some folks, nada. I would make a profile based on stuff you find interesting or want to say. However, I'd personally wait til you find or hide a bunch more.

I've lost count of the number of profile pages I've seen that had the default profile, including many experienced cachers that just never thought it was worth changing. Take your time, you're in good company. On the other hand, you can edit it any time, so you don't have to spin gold right with your first try.

I agree with IkeHurley13 that your home town is definitely a good thing to have.

Beyond that, the only thing I'd suggest is that you avoid gushing about geocaching and how you're going to go geocaching in all your spare time because if you unexpectedly stop geocaching and forget about your profile, it will look silly and/or sad after a couple of years of inactivity. :)

I find detailed stats boring. I write a few sentences about my favorite caches; over the years my profile has turned into a pretty long diatribe only a really bored person would read on a really rainy day. I keep adding to it, though, because its all the good reasons I continue to Geocache. :P

I would say keep it simple, maybe a little bit about you what your hobbies are and what area you're from but in all honesty I don't think many people are interested in reading your (or my profile), the only time I look at a profile is to see where a cacher is from.

I don't like to see pages and pages of graphical stats & badges as these can often make the page really slow to load especially to people using an older PC or slow internet and I really can't imagine anyone is interested.

I don't like to see pages and pages of graphical stats & badges as these can often make the page really slow to load especially to people using an older PC or slow internet and I really can't imagine anyone is interested.

And most of the statistics people have historically put in their profile are now redundant because of the statistics tab. (Besides, the statistics reports in profiles always seem to be 2 years old, which makes them pretty silly.)

And most of the statistics people have historically put in their profile are now redundant because of the statistics tab. (Besides, the statistics reports in profiles always seem to be 2 years old, which makes them pretty silly.)

I try to keep mine fairly up to date but there are quite a few offline stats generators that produce some stats that are not available in the built in statistics tab. Since the only place we can really put other stats is on our main public profile page that's what you'll see on a lot of them.

Personally, I like to see geocachers other interests or information about their "team". Are you part of a family team? Retired? Are you a very young cacher that caches without a car? Something about the types of caches one likes to find (or how one prefers to play the game) is also informative, but as a newbie, that probably hasn't become too specific. Some people are into puzzle caches, others into the FTF game, while others like finding caches in as many different states/countries as possible but don't care much about their total find count. All these things tell others about the type of geocacher you are and can be interesting content in a public profile.

Just joined on 01-Oct-2012 and we're trying to figure out what to include in our profile. Is it just too dang early to write it? Do we need to think about it for awhile? Any suggestions would be appreciated! BTW, we went on our 1st outing today and found 2 caches! (Okay---yes, we picked easy ones since we're newbies....)

Put in anything that you feel like sharing. You can always edit it later, whenever you want to add (or delete) something. At a minimum, I think what part of the world you live in is good to include.

>(Besides, the statistics reports in profiles always seem to be 2 years old, which makes them pretty silly.)

really ??

not mine :-)

(For those of you that didn't bother to look, the punch line of OZ2CPU's comment is that their stats are "only" 6 months old. Funny people...)

>(Besides, the statistics reports in profiles always seem to be 2 years old, which makes them pretty silly.)

really ??

not mine :-)

(For those of you that didn't bother to look, the punch line of OZ2CPU's comment is that their stats are "only" 6 months old. Funny people...)

I just looked and the stats seemed to be up to date. The public profile page indicated that they were last generated on 3-10-2012. In the U.S. that would be March 10th, 2012, but most other places in the world use a DD-MM-YYYY format and would mean they were last updated October 3rd, 2012 (yesterday)

Tks so much for all the posts! For now, we'll add our location. Hopefully, later on, we'll have more meaningful stats or information to post.

I've been here awhile but it is always nice to see where the newbies live. That way others know you are in their area and may want to ask you to join them on hunts.

You can add maybe what got you interested. It doesn't have to be long. Like maybe a friend or relative that took you out or a group you joined.

Just something simple.

There are some redundant but if you will noticed the difference on my milestones of the GSAK and the GC you will see the GSAK one some will not change. Locked in!....Why?....come on.....think about it...(No it's not one of mine)