John Grisham "The Racketeer" novel - free geocoins

The Blorenges

These links have just appeared on some UK facebook geocaching sites but, unfortunately for us, the offer is only available to residents of US.

Never mind :(

Read all about it: Geocaching.com Unveils Latest Branded Promotion with Doubleday, John Grisham

Apply for geocoin here: http://www.jgrisham.com/grisham-geocaching-sign-up-form/

(I'll hope to see one one day!)

MrsB :)

Here are a couple pictures of what the Racketeer coin looks like:

075cdb4d-d1d2-4ef8-bd28-fac9a5afe2d9.png?rnd=0.4675518

5a6b8834-492a-4f39-8951-834cccb1210a.png

Thank`s for the pictures.

The 1st. pic. is great, it looks very criminal and as I like the author very much I do hope to see a coin live some time.

Too sad that that I missed the "GECKO" coin, but also hope to hold some time this one in hand to place it in a cache nearby.

My Geico Gecko Travel Tag visited 3 caches before it went missing, even though I attached a laminated card clearly stating that it was not to be kept. I don't think these eye-catching beauties will survive very long in the wild, but I ordered one, anyway. We'll see.

I know the feeling. Our Gecko only made it into the hands of 3 cachers (4 if you count the thief) before it disappeared for good. I agree, I doubt many of these golden travelers will last. I signed up for one and if we get it, I just hope it lasts longer than our Gecko. I won't hold my breath.

I wonder how many of them have gone to geocachers and how many have gone to Grisham fans who saw the promo and thought, "Oooo! Cool shiny gold thing - I'll have one of those."

It'll be interesting to see whether many new people turn up asking, "What should I do with this? How do I find a cache? etc"

MrsB

I wonder how many of them have gone to geocachers and how many have gone to Grisham fans who saw the promo and thought, "Oooo! Cool shiny gold thing - I'll have one of those."

It'll be interesting to see whether many new people turn up asking, "What should I do with this? How do I find a cache? etc"

MrsB

I just now noticed this thread, signed up, and realized the contest ended a week ago :rolleyes:.

But I've been following the site for a little while (before there were any specifics), and supposed it would be a contest with clues to a hidden 10-ounce silver bar. Oh well. At least a coin would be nice. Which I missed by a mile. :anitongue:

Edited by kunarion

... Keep an eye out for them as they start to be released into the wild world of geocaches! :)

That's going to be a stretch, since 60% or so of all activation codes are never even retrieved :laughing: And that's not taking into account the percentage that are just retrieved for book keeping. Then you have the percentage of retrievals for actual activations that are used for just discovery. Who knows, maybe the actual percentage of trackables activated and set free could be a single digit percentage! :ph34r:

TMA

... Keep an eye out for them as they start to be released into the wild world of geocaches! :)

That's going to be a stretch, since 60% or so of all activation codes are never even retrieved :laughing: And that's not taking into account the percentage that are just retrieved for book keeping. Then you have the percentage of retrievals for actual activations that are used for just discovery. Who knows, maybe the actual percentage of trackables activated and set free could be a single digit percentage! :ph34r:

TMA

That's probably true for the coins that we collectors purchase or trade for, but when we signed up for this free Racketeer coin, the offer made it clear that we were agreeing to release it into a cache within 10 days of receiving it. As much as I would love to add this beauty to my collection, I will honor that agreement, although it irks me that it isn't likely to travel very far before someone else does decide to keep it! :mad:

I had forgotten about this and wondered what was in the bubble mailer I received today. Ah ha a Racketeer coin!! I dont' think I will be able to drill a hole in it like I have my other travelers. I am going to give it a try though. I agree that I don't think these will travel very long or very far.

I GOT ONE!

I really didn't think I would. It looks really cool, and will be hard to part with, but a promise is a promise.

Not even for us Canadians either :mad:

We too are a bit annoyed as my wife loves John Grisham's books and I love Geocoins but not being in the US mean we don't get even a chance to get in on this offer :( Why do these promotions if half the people its aimed at can't join in?

Mrs B if I get one I'll dip it and post it to you to drop in your neck of the woods.

If what Droo proposes isn't dreadfully un-Kosher, I would be willing to dip and ship mine. I will need help with shipment costs as International isn't cheap and I am un-wealthy.

Mrs B if I get one I'll dip it and post it to you to drop in your neck of the woods.

That's a kind thought, Droo... but as the coins are part of a competition where people can win signed books and (maybe) even a gold bar I guess that it's better they circular around the US first - at least until the promotion has finished.

I recall years ago, when the Jeep promotions were running, quite a few cachers in UK got the Jeep trackables posted to them by kind American cachers but it didn't go down too well with others because "those Brits" were depriving them of their chances to find one and the chance to enter the prize draw for the Jeeps. ;):D

Thanks anyway.

MrsB

(Shhhhh... Don't tell anybody but I've already read on facebook of a couple of the gold bars which are making their way into the UK in a few days.)

That's a kind thought, Droo... but as the coins are part of a competition where people can win signed books and (maybe) even a gold bar I guess that it's better they circular around the US first - at least until the promotion has finished.

I recall years ago, when the Jeep promotions were running, quite a few cachers in UK got the Jeep trackables posted to them by kind American cachers but it didn't go down too well with others because "those Brits" were depriving them of their chances to find one and the chance to enter the prize draw for the Jeeps. ;):D

Thanks anyway.

MrsB

(Shhhhh... Don't tell anybody but I've already read on facebook of a couple of the gold bars which are making their way into the UK in a few days.)

In light of this thoughtful and educational post, I withdraw my offer. I'm cutting it loose and hoping it travels.

Thank you. I will keep my eye open for it in the mail.

So, does everyone that signed up in time receive one? I applied and so did my mom but neither of us have received anything.

I read that 5000 were produced, so I guess if you were one of the first 5000 to apply then you get one.

MrsB :)

Edited by kimefam4

I was surprised to get this one so quick. Since there are 5000 around I don't see why a handful can't make their way out to see other members of the geocoin community.

So Mrs B if you want to introduce one to the Welsh I will take the heat for it.

_MG_5261.jpg

Edited by Droo

I got one today! Will be hunting for an appropriate place that is safe to move it along... anyone going to alter theirs to keep it from becoming part of someones collection?

I want to drill a hole through mine and use a wire cable to attach it to a tag that states keeping me moving like I have done with many of my traveling coins. Not sure if I have a drill bit for it though but I am going to try....

So I'm a little anxious about my coin. And I feel like a geek as a result.

I neglected to take any pictures, which makes me annoyed with myself, but I'll live with it, cuz my crappy cell phone pictures won't be better than the ones available, should I want to take a trip down memory lane.

My bigger issue is that according to GC.com the cache I dropped it into has 7 TB's in it, including the Racketeer I just dropped... except it doesn't. There might have been one in there. There is no way there were 6 in there before I dropped mine. So someone, or someones in my area are grabbing TB's, not logging them and hanging onto them.

Meep!

I am tempted to go back in the morning and snatch it back, and find a more reliable cache to put it in.

Am I nuts? What would you do?

When I saw this on the GC facebook site, in my comment I totally dissed it--as a shameful/sell-out promotion...I felt like this when I found a Geico TB (I got rid of that one quick, but it has been still moving)...Doesn't sound like anyone else feels like this on the blog...If I knew John Grisham (I do like his books, BTW) was an AVID cacher, I would be totally OK with this. I hope this is not a sell-out by Groundspeak ie free promotion? Anyway, I 'applied' for 1 (just for kicks) and got it, :unsure: so my obligation is to move it along, although I'm sure it'll go MIA immediately. I heard about the Jeep trackables, but that was before I was a cacher...is this going to be a more acceptable trend? Just saying......