Multiple email addresses for notifications

Trustworthy

Hello,

My wife and I would both like to receive notifications from our account. Our account is a premium membership account. My email account is currently primary for our account. I added her email account, and she validated it, but she never got any of the notifications that I have been receiving. I read something on this forum that suggested having all the geocaching emails forwarded to the second email account using your email program, so I am currently doing that in Outlook, with a rule that I added. The problem with this is that my Outlook has to be on, in order for my wife to get the same notifications that I am receiving. We both use smartphones and we both have the geocaching app installed on our smartphones. I searched the forum for “email” and “notification” and I haven’t found anything showing how to get notifications sent to multiple email addresses. Can my wife and I both receive notifications somehow? If not, what is the purpose of having the ability to add extra email accounts to our account?

Best Regards,

Robert & Gloria

Why does your Outlook have to be on in order for things to be forwarded? Does the program need to be active in order to forward messages?

If you use a webmail application as your geocaching email, something like Gmail, you can have email forwarded without actually being logged in. Perhaps that's the solution that would work for you.

Set up a shared geocaching email on Gmail, then set a rule there that forwards all geocaching email to both your personal addresses (or simply use that account for your smartphones).

Good luck!

I could do the forwarding directly in a web based email account, like Gmail for example, but then I would have to create a new third email account for our geocaching account, and then have any emails that get delivered to that new email account forwarded to both of our personal email accounts.

I take it that geocaching.com can’t forward notifications to both of our email accounts that are shown in our geocaching account, right? If that is the case, then why can you add multiple email accounts? This just doesn’t make sense to me.

I take it that geocaching.com can’t forward notifications to both of our email accounts that are shown in our geocaching account, right? If that is the case, then why can you add multiple email accounts? This just doesn’t make sense to me.

Are you just interested in notifications as you've typed, or do you also want things like watchlist and owner emails to go to both emails? If it's just notifications, you can create a duplicate set of notifications that point to the other email address. If you want all emails to go to both, you'll have to do it outside of this site.

I do not think that I understand your question. The notifications that I want my wife to also receive, as a team member, are the same notifications that I receive, such as caches or events that I am watching, and any friend requests, and such, and also so that she receives the weekly newsletter. It sounds like this is not possible with this web site, and I ask once again what is the purpose of having the ability to add multiple email accounts to my account? It seems senseless, and it reminds me of the lyrics for Hotel California; you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!

The notifications that I want my wife to also receive, as a team member, are the same notifications that I receive, such as caches or events that I am watching, and any friend requests, and such, and also so that she receives the weekly newsletter.

What you're calling "notifications" above are really just emails. The term "notification" on this site generally refers to the Instant Notification feature, like when you get an email about a new cache being published in your area. This feature allows you to use the additional email addresses on your account, but you still have to set up separate notifications using each email address.

The following are other types of emails that are sent from the site, always to the primary email address only:

-Owner

-Watchlist

-Bookmark watchlist

-Pocket query

-Weekly newsletter

-Personal messages (including friend requests)

Plus possibly others...

To get these to go to both of you, you'll need to find a third-party solution.

It's best not to ask why something is the way it is on this site. There are some things that are leftovers from days past, while there are others that are partially rolled-out new features. I believe the functionality you're looking for has been requested in the past, but the site doesn't currently do it.

Okay I understand that all team members here can’t get what I am calling notifications or the weekly emails sent from this web site. What I did was to create a new email account on Gmail, and I set that email account as the primary and only email address for this web site. I then did some research on how to have Gmail automatically forward all incoming emails to this new email account to my wife’s and my email addresses. I found that this is not done in the forwarding section of Gmail, because using forwarding in that section can only forward email to one email address, so I had to create two new filters, that would forward all incoming emails to both my wife’s and my email addresses. I will wait and see how this works, before I say that this is working well. The only thing I don't like about this solution is that from time to time I will have to logon to this new email account and clean out the inbox, so that it doesn't get filled up. Thanks for everyone’s help with this issue.

Best Regards,

Robert & Gloria

Robert, I have notifications sent to both my work email and personal email. I just duplicate the notification requests; one with 'address1' and the other for 'address2'. Not too hard to do, and it works just fine.

Hello,

My wife and I would both like to receive notifications from our account. Our account is a premium membership account. My email account is currently primary for our account. I added her email account, and she validated it, but she never got any of the notifications that I have been receiving. I read something on this forum that suggested having all the geocaching emails forwarded to the second email account using your email program, so I am currently doing that in Outlook, with a rule that I added. The problem with this is that my Outlook has to be on, in order for my wife to get the same notifications that I am receiving. We both use smartphones and we both have the geocaching app installed on our smartphones. I searched the forum for "email" and "notification" and I haven't found anything showing how to get notifications sent to multiple email addresses. Can my wife and I both receive notifications somehow? If not, what is the purpose of having the ability to add extra email accounts to our account?

Best Regards,

Robert & Gloria

My husband and I have our own web hosting.... It was easy to create a new email address thru our host and have that email as our primary thus forwarding to both of us.

You should be able to setup a separate gmail email address and have it forward to both of you. I have a gmail address for a 'series' of caches owned by two people. That gmail address forwards to both owners.

The only thing I don't like about this solution is that from time to time I will have to logon to this new email account and clean out the inbox, so that it doesn't get filled up.

With the amount of storage quota GMail provides and the size of the emails sent from this site it is unlikely you will ever need to worry about cleaning out your Gmail account. I have been using GMail as my caching account for several years and am only at 8% of my allotted space without ever having deleted anything.

Okay I understand that all team members here can’t get what I am calling notifications or the weekly emails sent from this web site. What I did was to create a new email account on Gmail, and I set that email account as the primary and only email address for this web site. I then did some research on how to have Gmail automatically forward all incoming emails to this new email account to my wife’s and my email addresses. I found that this is not done in the forwarding section of Gmail, because using forwarding in that section can only forward email to one email address, so I had to create two new filters, that would forward all incoming emails to both my wife’s and my email addresses. I will wait and see how this works, before I say that this is working well. The only thing I don't like about this solution is that from time to time I will have to logon to this new email account and clean out the inbox, so that it doesn't get filled up. Thanks for everyone’s help with this issue.

Best Regards,

Robert & Gloria

While it may have been a hassle to set up, you probably do have the best solution. I would guess that 90% of the time that an individual complains about not getting mail from Geocaching.com, it's because there own service is throttling or blocking GC mail because it sees too much of it. This will not happen with Gmail. Also, if this new account is just for geocaching, set it and forget it. You have so much space available that you can think of it as unlimited. It would probably take 30 years before it became a problem.

I would guess that 90% of the time that an individual complains about not getting mail from Geocaching.com, it's because there own service is throttling or blocking GC mail because it sees too much of it. This will not happen with Gmail.

Not necessarily true. A couple of years ago, Gmail started flagging Geocaching.com emails as spam. Tons of people were affected. I had to add "noreply@geocaching.com" as a contact so Gmail would accept email from it. I don't know if it still happens or not, but I'm going to leave that address in my contacts just to be on the safe side.

I would guess that 90% of the time that an individual complains about not getting mail from Geocaching.com, it's because there own service is throttling or blocking GC mail because it sees too much of it. This will not happen with Gmail.

Not necessarily true. A couple of years ago, Gmail started flagging Geocaching.com emails as spam. Tons of people were affected. I had to add "noreply@geocaching.com" as a contact so Gmail would accept email from it. I don't know if it still happens or not, but I'm going to leave that address in my contacts just to be on the safe side.

I wasn't aware of the previous problem. Usually, "go to Gmail" is the solution, not the problem. Whitelisting is always a good idea. I do know that my ISP, Roadrunner has a blacklist that is out of my control. groups.yahoo.com used to get blocked all the time and our only recourse was to complain. The only way that you knew that anything was wrong was by the sudden lack of mail. I trust Gmail. If it's not in my inbox, it is usually in my spam folder, but at least it's somewhere.