Magellan Explorist GC - How do I delete found caches?

w00dduck

Is there a way to delete "found" caches from the GPS other than manual AFTER you have down loaded them to Geocache.com and cleared the "new log" file on the unit.

Thanks in advance

Hello Duck,

Just so you know, you can post Geocaching question on the Magellan Insiders forum and someone there will help you also since most of us our avid cachers.

The best way that I've found to manage caches on the unit, especially my "found" caches is to simply create pocket queries that exclude the caches I've found and then delete all of the caches on the unit and reload a freshly ran copy of the pocket query on the until before going out to cache. I know several people that take hours managing their caches trying to keep their found caches in one database in GSAK and other caches in that database and so on. I'm sorry, but I'd rather be caching than sitting behind a computer!!! Especially since I do enough of that at work and keeping up with the forums that I monitor for Magellan.

If you're using Magellan's Vantage Point software of GSAK it will only take you about 2 minutes to do the whole process. I have a pocket query setup for several areas around where I live that load between 4000 to 5000 caches and I have some of them setup to refresh every day. However, I also have others have I can just run on the day that I need them. First, turn on your GPS and delete all of the caches and waypoints (I store any special waypoints that I need to keep on my computer). Open VP or GSAK and use the automatic pocket query download feature and then transfer them to the unit. Personally I don't bother with transferring the image because it takes up to much memory on the GPS and it takes too long to transfer. Doing this process I can load around 5000 caches in about 2 minutes and be ready to go out the door!

However, if you're using a MAC, just do the same process though you'll have to manually download the PQs and copy them to your GPS which will take a bit longer.

David

Magellan Insider

Is there a way to delete "found" caches from the GPS other than manual AFTER you have down loaded them to Geocache.com and cleared the "new log" file on the unit.

Thanks in advance

Hello Duck,

Just so you know, you can post Geocaching question on the Magellan Insiders forum and someone there will help you also since most of us our avid cachers.

The best way that I've found to manage caches on the unit, especially my "found" caches is to simply create pocket queries that exclude the caches I've found and then delete all of the caches on the unit and reload a freshly ran copy of the pocket query on the until before going out to cache. I know several people that take hours managing their caches trying to keep their found caches in one database in GSAK and other caches in that database and so on. I'm sorry, but I'd rather be caching than sitting behind a computer!!! Especially since I do enough of that at work and keeping up with the forums that I monitor for Magellan.

If you're using Magellan's Vantage Point software of GSAK it will only take you about 2 minutes to do the whole process. I have a pocket query setup for several areas around where I live that load between 4000 to 5000 caches and I have some of them setup to refresh every day. However, I also have others have I can just run on the day that I need them. First, turn on your GPS and delete all of the caches and waypoints (I store any special waypoints that I need to keep on my computer). Open VP or GSAK and use the automatic pocket query download feature and then transfer them to the unit. Personally I don't bother with transferring the image because it takes up to much memory on the GPS and it takes too long to transfer. Doing this process I can load around 5000 caches in about 2 minutes and be ready to go out the door!

However, if you're using a MAC, just do the same process though you'll have to manually download the PQs and copy them to your GPS which will take a bit longer.

David

Magellan Insider

Thanks David as a matter of fact I just joined the Megellan Insider yesterday and got approved last night...Thanks and I look forward to the info I can obtain there. At first I wasnt sure if I could post questions there but now I know...lol

With that said I have followed your advice. I use vantage point with queries created from Geocaching.com however, when I update Vantage point with a updated querys I still get the ones that Iv already found also. I do have the radio button selected on the query options page to not refresh the "logs found" but I still get them :huh: ...... Ill go back and check again.

Thanks again for the help and will see you at Megellan Insider.

Simple short answer - Your Packet Query option allow you to unselect Your Caches and also Found Caches.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info :) As I responded to David above I have the option slected to "unslect" the caches already found but I still get them...

Any advice ???? Much Thanks