Reading one of my Logbooks

I have to admit that most of my physical 'log books' in my caches (even larger ones) are rolled up strips with just a line for signature/date. I had the opportunity to check one of my puzzle caches this afternoon as I was in the vicinity and had had no reason to visit GZ since it was originally placed. This one has a proper hardback notepad as the log book and I thought I would have a glance at the entries just to recall the finders names. Half an hour later I was still sat under the tree reading the entries which just seemed all the more real and personal. There were some that you could really feel their relief/excitement/adventure coming back off the page. I also noticed a couple that had definately written much more kind words in the log than they had 'on-line' which was also quite special as they were names I recognised and I wasn't sure if they had enjoyed the cache and now I know that they did.

My favourite was an entry that read something like this

....my name is Alice and I live in the house on the other side of the fields and I found this Geocache by accident. I was really excited as I had never heard of Geocaching and now I am going to find out more...

It makes me wonder if she did take up geocaching. I forgot to check the date so we may never know.

I get the feeling that when geocaching first started the comments in a proper logbook were much more important than the logs on-line and I can understand why. I am certainly going to try and put proper books in my larger caches from now on and encourage cachers to record their experiences within them. In turn, hopefully I will be able to take the time to go out and read them and I encourage others to try this out. Maybe others have some stories to tell from their log books but just need to go out and read them.

One cache I found recently had a nice comment from a hiker who'd chanced upon it. It seems that she'd replaced the cache properly after signing the log with a comment "I must find out more about this game". The twist is that it's a 5*/5* "Extreme" traditional cache, in a locked ammo box.

Another I found the same day, was signed more often by muggles than cachers.

I like finding large logbooks in caches as it is interesting to look at all the entries with the stories that people have written.

One of my own caches was found by a local playgroup. They visited the cache quite regularly and left various handmade items as well as their words of wisdom in the book.

Another cache of mine was found by a muggle the day before it was published. He wrote something in the logbook and rehid it carefully. The first geocacher to search was beaten to the FTF!