Rechargeable Batteries?

I glanced through some of that previous thread and I seen BS. They won't hurt your GPSr. Rechargeable batteries are used in High end RC vehicles-I'm not talking the $100 cars I mean one that can cost up to $1000 and go literally 100MPH. The radios in them can be very high end, $200-$500 and these same rechargeable batteries won't hurt them. If I can trust them in a $1500 worth of RC going 70MPH I will trust them in my GPSr.(If the batteries in the radio go the expensive RC car will keep driving until something makes it stop Like a brick wall)

But I digress. I would recommend either the energizer one that come with a charger, or if you cache a lot go to your local hobby/RC shop and tell them what you want. You'd be paying $30-$50 from there but the batteries are of much higher quality, and so are the chargers. You just won't find them at Walmart-or even electronics stores.

With the Eneloops batteries, is the charger critical? Perhaps the La Crosse BC-700?

Yes, the La Crosse BC-700 is a good charger. What you want to look for in a good charger is the ability to charge individual batteries. The cheaper chargers require you to charge batteries in pairs, so the battery charging cycle/condition is based on the pair and not what each individual battery needs. Also, the better chargers allow you to manually select the charging current.... lower current less heat the battery generates, but longer the charging time. High charging temperatures can prematurely destroy a batteries ability to hold a charge.

For well over a year now I've been using Duracell rechargeable NiMH's (with the white cap at the positive end). I've been very happy with them as they're inexpensive and readily available almost anywhere. Once charged, they hold their charge for a long time. I've not had battery issues with any of my GPSr's since using them but I always carry a spare set.

With the Eneloops batteries, is the charger critical? Perhaps the La Crosse BC-700?

The performance and service life of any rechargeable battery is influenced significantly by how they're charged.

You can use any NiMH charger with any NiMH batteries.

Better chargers give better results, so do better batteries. But they're all interchangeable if they say NiMH.

"Hybrid" batteries aren't really; they're just NiMH with better construction but a clueless marketing department. So previous paragraphs apply.

(And I know I should say "cell" when I say "battery". For the pedants out there.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Does anyone use rechargeable batteries in their GPS? It seems like I read something awhile back about you should not use them, but I can't remember for sure anymore. If you do use them, what ones do you use, and how do they work for you? TIA.

The only issue with rechargeable batteries that know of is if your GPSr doesn't have a setting for rechargeable battery. Alkaline batteries, rechargeable batteries and lithium batteries each have different discharge patterns. This doesn't mean that you can't use rechargeable batteries in your GPSr. It just means you can't trust the battery meter on the GPSr. What will happen is that your GPSr might start to inform you that the battery is extremely low when it really isn't or it might run out of power with little or no warning. The same thing happens on a GPSr that you can set the battery type on but forget to change it when you change battery types.