Photo Competition - October 2012

Many thanks to Langy for selecting me as the winner for the September Competition. There was some stiff competition, and some excellent entries in there.

The September 2012 competition can be found here.

THEME: This months theme is Hilltops and Trig Pillars (or Triangulation Stations to give them their full title)

I am a member of a facebook group "Trigpoint Swimming/Surfing/Standing or just posing next to." and there have been some great pictures posted there. Post a photo (which should be taken during September / October whilst caching) of yourself or your caching buddies at a Trig Pillar or to open it up a bit, a summit of any kind.

Good luck to everyone.

The rules are:

1) The photo must be cache related and to do with a specific UK cache (any type including events), caching series or caching trip - please include a link to the cache or the GC.... code so we can see where the picture relates to.

2) Maximum of two photos per caching team or cacher.

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

5) Follow the theme

Have we done away with the rule that says it must be taken within the month the comp was published?

I think it's always been a bit more relaxed than that, surely? The current month and the previous month seems reasonable to me. With rather specific themes (like this month's) I'd enjoy seeing photos from any time this year, tbh!

MrsB :)

Visited Arnside Knott EC with TIGG on International Earthcache day for that very reason to find an EC and enter the comp. Found in current month amazing. Doubly splendiferous. Anyway here is the image on the summit.

d3211522-8a4f-45ae-997a-8e730b5cd373.jpg

Found without supplementary oxygen. The trig pillar is just behind here in scrubby trees. This is more photogenic. Taken by TIGG on my camera.

Lads in background were filming leaping over seat and pretend kicks. Hmm?

... polarising filter ...

Added to the shopping list - good tip!

Can you recommend any good DSLR training resources on the web? I'm too mean to pay for a book.

I ummed and ahhed whether to send this as a PM or post here. Then decided it might help others, so I've posted it here. Mods, if I have broken any rules (I don't think I have!?), sorry! :ph34r:

Beechers Handouts is detailed, possibly a bit too heavy going for a beginner, but covers everything.

Digital Camera World and Photoanswers are good resources. PhotoAnswers is the website of Practical Photography and Digital Photo magazines. PP have, in the last 3 years, run a 6-part DSLR beginners course that is good, and made more effective by joining in with a Flickr group set up for students on the course, independent of the mag itself. I think they did a book version of the 2010 course. But when the course starts, they usually do an offer of the 6 issues for £10, in the hope you get hooked on the magazine. The course explains the basics in a simple way, using the magazine and videos, and sets you an exercise. It works well.

Alternatively, get down to a library and take out one of the many books. I can't remember any of the titles I've borrowed from the library, but all of them have had useful bits.

... polarising filter ...

Added to the shopping list - good tip!

Can you recommend any good DSLR training resources on the web? I'm too mean to pay for a book.

I ummed and ahhed whether to send this as a PM or post here. Then decided it might help others, so I've posted it here. Mods, if I have broken any rules (I don't think I have!?), sorry! :ph34r:

Beechers Handouts is detailed, possibly a bit too heavy going for a beginner, but covers everything.

Digital Camera World and Photoanswers are good resources. PhotoAnswers is the website of Practical Photography and Digital Photo magazines. PP have, in the last 3 years, run a 6-part DSLR beginners course that is good, and made more effective by joining in with a Flickr group set up for students on the course, independent of the mag itself. I think they did a book version of the 2010 course. But when the course starts, they usually do an offer of the 6 issues for £10, in the hope you get hooked on the magazine. The course explains the basics in a simple way, using the magazine and videos, and sets you an exercise. It works well.

Alternatively, get down to a library and take out one of the many books. I can't remember any of the titles I've borrowed from the library, but all of them have had useful bits.

New rule

6) As a (probably) Semi-professional photographer (possibly trained by David Bailey)- Guanajuato is now banned from entering any photos into the monthly competition and will instead help the judges and offer advice and encouragement ...... :ph34r:

How do I add a pic on from my laptop. Very confused?

Firt of all you need to have the photo uploaded somewhere, so that it has its own URL. The easiest thing is to upload it to the cache log, wherever you took it. Once it's attached to a cache log you can go to the log, click 'View images', select the photo by clicking on it to view full screen, and you can then copy the URL location (it will end in .jpg).

Then you come back here to the forum and do a 'Reply' to this thread. With the Reply box open, click the little 'tree icon', paste in the URL, click 'Insert image'.

It will then appear in your forum post.

MrsB

How do I add a pic on from my laptop. Very confused?

Firt of all you need to have the photo uploaded somewhere, so that it has its own URL. The easiest thing is to upload it to the cache log, wherever you took it. Once it's attached to a cache log you can go to the log, click 'View images', select the photo by clicking on it to view full screen, and you can then copy the URL location (it will end in .jpg).

Then you come back here to the forum and do a 'Reply' to this thread. With the Reply box open, click the little 'tree icon', paste in the URL, click 'Insert image'.

It will then appear in your forum post.

MrsB

Woo Hoo! Many thanks

Okay, think I've figured it out.

Here is one of ours from GC1VCC2. Our juniors had marched up to the top with us and then proceeded to run/cartwheel and flip down the Ben, much to our amazement.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/08fbec92-ec15-4af0-a60b-f0e38f9a6070.jpg

I don't think I can get the link to work

08fbec92-ec15-4af0-a60b-f0e38f9a6070.jpg

How's that? :)

Show off :P

How did you do it? I thought I followed Mrs b's advice to the letter.

New rule

6) As a (probably) Semi-professional photographer (possibly trained by David Bailey)- Guanajuato is now banned from entering any photos into the monthly competition and will instead help the judges and offer advice and encouragement ...... :ph34r:

:laughing:

WAAAY off the mark! But I'll take it as a compliment. :D

I have had a couple of photos published, accompanying an article I submitted to Cumbria magazine about caching - they published it in the September issue, so missed the Cartmel mega.

Best thing about digital cameras is you can use the scatter gun approach. If you've got a vague idea what you're doing, take LOADS and one will work out half-decent. As you do more, the hit rate goes up as you work out what works and what doesn't.

Presenting to the world...............

Andy "Mr Mankini" Best aka Besty ex Oh Bugger after a compalaint about his name but known to his pals as Shandy andy or Half Can Dan.

Cache is no other than "Britains Highest Geocache" on Ben Nevis. http://coord.info/GCG6XD

Snowline from approx 4000ft , temp with windchill around -10, Besty padded the Mankini with a furry toy :o

Visit planned as part of cache maintenance by Rob the Ranger (CO) and Yorkshire Team Extreme (Entry on behalf of Yorkshire Team Extreme)

8701f5b6-72b2-4386-8b69-12963ffa6a7a.jpg

8dd0f009-328f-4c1b-87ea-7f43fae57af8.jpg

Edited by G7HRP

I thought my choice of theme was going to limit the numbers of entries, but in the end there were plenty of fun images to see.

There were plenty of trig surfers with varying degrees of style; I liked the pose of young Follieus at John O'Groats. Beenngone didn't read the rules :rolleyes: it's not a trig, it's not a hill top - and he needs to raise that elbow!

Haggis Hunter provided lots of pictures, even helping to post those of other cachers :lol: . Oh, and that is him on the trig pillar, so who took the photo? Good style marks there, though :D . I was tempted to choose the group photo of drookit cachers at the top of Arthur's Seat as the winner, but as Original A1 has "let the cat out of the bag" :rolleyes: I think I may be accused of not being impartial.

The one of young Bobo Frett was a close second, but the winner this month (thanks to Mrs HGKF's help in judging) is Guanajuato. The colours and the composition are lovely. He (or she?) makes some good comments - a good photographer doesn't show you their bad pictures.

A special commendation to G7HRP and his model :blink: !

Beenngone didn't read the rules :rolleyes: it's not a trig, it's not a hill top - and he needs to raise that elbow!

And it wasn't even in this country!!!!

Haggis Hunter provided lots of pictures, even helping to post those of other cachers :lol: . Oh, and that is him on the trig pillar, so who took the photo? Good style marks there, though :D .

Thank you, it was marmal who took the picture on my camera with the settings that I made. But there is nothing in the rules about that is there? :huh:

I was tempted to choose the group photo of drookit cachers at the top of Arthur's Seat as the winner, but as Original A1 has "let the cat out of the bag" :rolleyes: I think I may be accused of not being impartial.

Thanks Alex! :P

The one of young Bobo Frett was a close second, but the winner this month (thanks to Mrs HGKF's help in judging) is Guanajuato. The colours and the composition are lovely. He (or she?) makes some good comments - a good photographer doesn't show you their bad pictures.

Congratulations, it is an extremely good photo.

:blink:

Oh Aye, Its November now isn't it. Time's flying. Nearly be Christmas.

Anyway, Thanks for choosing mine. And I promise, I'm not a ringer!

There were plenty of really good photos. I particularly liked Bobo Frett's.

Just have to try & think of a (very broad) theme for November.

But can I add a 'No Mankinis' rule. :o

Edited by Guanajuato