Should I mention muggling to Boy Scouts?

Mr.Yuck

I have been tasked with taking the three youngest and newest members of Yuck Jr's. Boy Scout troop to 2 caches in a local park. That's all we'll have time for with how early it gets dark in October. They are not doing the Merit badge, I am not a Scoutmaster, this will just be a quick introduction to them before they go to a weekend camp out geared to new Scouts where there will be Geocaching.

Do I mention to these lads that there have been reported incidents of groups of kids (not necessarily Boy Scouts) being shown where caches are, and telling their friends about them, and they end up muggled? Or do I just keep my mouth shut?

Depends on the kids? I'd say they're all fine young 11 Yr. old citizens. :)

When I introduce kids that age to geocaching, I make a point of taking them on a hike a good distance away from the local neighborhood. Even if I trust the kids I'm with completely, I don't necessarily trust the classmates they'll tell, or the others their classmates will tell.

But if you're going to take them to a local park, then by all means let them know that muggling is an issue.

I have been tasked with taking the three youngest and newest members of Yuck Jr's. Boy Scout troop to 2 caches in a local park. That's all we'll have time for with how early it gets dark in October. They are not doing the Merit badge, I am not a Scoutmaster, this will just be a quick introduction to them before they go to a weekend camp out geared to new Scouts where there will be Geocaching.

Do I mention to these lads that there have been reported incidents of groups of kids (not necessarily Boy Scouts) being shown where caches are, and telling their friends about them, and they end up muggled? Or do I just keep my mouth shut?

Don't forget two deep leadership. Protect yourself!

Don't forget two deep leadership. Protect yourself!

Oh yeah, there will be two Asst. Scoutmasters there. Actually, I think you probably met Yuck Jr. when he was about 6!! :) He's 13 now. Thanks for the responses so far!

Yes! I would definitely tell them about it! It is part of the game (IMO) to keep the caches safe from anyone who might think it is funny to muggle it. I would tell them to keep it on the down low except for their friends they know would be cool with the idea and how it works.

-WarNinjas

Yes! I would definitely tell them about it! It is part of the game (IMO) to keep the caches safe from anyone who might think it is funny to muggle it. I would tell them to keep it on the down low except for their friends they know would be cool with the idea and how it works.

-WarNinjas

I think the concern here is if telling them might put ideas in their heads. I think that at that age they are likely to come up with the ideas all on their own. They can't help it. It is all a part of growing up. So talk to them about it.

I think you probably met Yuck Jr. when he was about 6!! :) He's 13 now.

At Burning Micro?

Yes, and in retrospect, I think he was more like 8. He won the raffle to be the one to ignite the micro pyre. Chip off the old block, eh? :lol: Not that there are very many people around who remember or know what Burning Micro was, or who was behind it.

Not too many replies, I thought this was an interesting topic. But I appreciate the input of those who have posted, and I am definitely going to "say something". This is all happening in about 8 hours after I type this.

Hey Mr. Yuck,

I would indeed give them "the whole scoobie". Special emphasis on stealth and muggles.

Can not hurt to reveal their role in protecting cache integrity.

As an aside, I regret not being able to link up with you while in your area. Funny thing about weddings ... much to do and so little time. The 5 Palm Eagle has been wed and they have returned from their European honeymoon.

-WarNinjas

I think the concern here is if telling them might put ideas in their heads. I think that at that age they are likely to come up with the ideas all on their own. They can't help it. It is all a part of growing up. So talk to them about it.

Wait a sec... what exactly are we talking about here?

A few weeks ago, I took my 5 year old out the area where our cache is. It was a busy day in town, and I knew there would be muggles about. Before we got there, I just told him we couldn't talk about what we'd put there, or go looking for it, because not everyone needs to know that it's there. Never used the word "muggles."

Of course once we got there, we found 3 people actively searching for the cache, and a handful of muggles within 30-40 feet, so that all went right out the window. At least the adults were more discrete about it than a 5 year old usually would be.

Edited by dakboy

-WarNinjas

See the first post in this thread.

-WarNinjas

See the first post in this thread.

You may have missed the underlying humor in his question. :P Gave me a chuckle, anyway.