pocket query not downloading the newest caches in my area

DebEriBilBry

I am trying to figure out why when I try to create a new PQ it will not download the newest caches in my area. I have tried searching in smaller areas and for a lesser number of caches but I just can't get the newest ones to show up.

I tried opening my opening the GPX files in a plain text editor and searching for the GC codes of some of the newest caches that I know are there because I see them when I look online. They simply are not there.

I use GSAK to open my PQ.

Please help!

Deb

I am trying to figure out why when I try to create a new PQ it will not download the newest caches in my area. I have tried searching in smaller areas and for a lesser number of caches but I just can't get the newest ones to show up.

I tried opening my opening the GPX files in a plain text editor and searching for the GC codes of some of the newest caches that I know are there because I see them when I look online. They simply are not there.

I use GSAK to open my PQ.

Please help!

Deb

Have you set any criteria in the "Placed During" section? Maybe it's set to only return caches up to a specified date in the past.

and now i have exceeded the 5 queries per day limit so I can't do anything more today I guess.

I am beyond frustrated and this is supposed to be a fun hobby. :(

Your problem here is simple.....

DO NOT check the day of the week to run the query. Leave that box blank.

Fill out the remainder of your parameters and [submit] the query.

You will be allowed to view a response to what you have submitted near the top of the query page, but the query itself has not ran!

Happy with the result? Backspace, check the day to run, [submit].

Not happy? Start over using different parameters. Because the query did not run, it is not counted against your run total.

Easy as pie.

EDIT to add: It sometimes takes a day or so for a *NEW* cache to get within the system. Sure, you get the email notification, but there are a number of servers (I think) before it may be accessible via PQ.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Gitchee-Gummee,

I have previewed the caches in the query and the newest ones are there when I am online and looking in the preview. When I open the query in GSAK they do not show. Are you saying that sometimes the newest ones just are not on the PQ for some reason?

Deb

Partially....

I am suggesting to NOT RUN the PQ -- by not selecting "day to run", it never runs, but still allows you to view the results had it ran. Thereby, you can decide to run/not run it based upon what the preview shows. This does not count against your 5/day allotment.

You do not need GSAK. The list displayed is exactly as if you had just used a [search] from the opening page of geocaching.com.

That preview link is at the top of the PQ page after you [submit] it.

Although I do not know for sure (positively), I have seen references that sometimes the newest caches do not appear in a PQ.

Although I do not know for sure (positively), I have seen references that sometimes the newest caches do not appear in a PQ.

This may have been the case in the past (I really don't know), but I don't think it's the case today. Each spring, we have a cache-hiding event in this area. All of the caches get published early on a Saturday morning. I sit by my computer, watching the publish notifications roll in. Once I'm pretty sure they've stopped publishing, I set my PQs to run. For at least the last couple of years, the PQs have picked up all of the new caches.

@DebEriBilBry: Can you go through your PQ settings and tell us what each one is set to, as well as some examples of caches that don't get captured by the PQ? We might be able to spot a pattern.

If the caches show up in the preview they'll be in the query if it's run right away. It sounds like a problem downloading the query to gsak. How are you downloading them into gsak?

@JPatton I do not think it is a problem with the download to GSAK. I tried opening my opening the GPX files in a plain text editor I then did a search of a cache I know is local to me and new. It is not located in the GPX file.

Deb, the same thing happened to me a few days ago and I missed out on some hides that were replaced and enabled. After discovering the problem, I went to my PQs Ready For Download Page and deleted that PQ. The following morning I requested the PQ again and the new caches showed up fine.

I don't know why, but my guess is if that PQ is already on the ready list with a few more days left, it doesn't update. Now I just go to the PQs Ready For Download Page and delete ones I am going to request prior to checking the day to run. It is not ideal to have to remember the extra step, but it did work for me.

@DebEriBilBry: Can you go through your PQ settings and tell us what each one is set to, as well as some examples of caches that don't get captured by the PQ? We might be able to spot a pattern.

Okay lets see..............

Days to Generate:

Sometimes I set it to generate on Sundays

Then I tried setting it to uncheck after query runs.

Caches total:

I have tried 100, 500 and 1000

Any Type:

I left this open

Any Container:

I left this open

That (and)

"I haven't found" is ticked

Difficulty and Terrain are set at "greater than or equal to 1"

Within: none selected

From origin is coordinates near my home

Radius: I have tried 50, 75, 100 200 and 400miles none seem to make a difference.

Placed during: none selected

Although I did try doing a one week search that showed up with a line through it?? I am sorry I did not really ever download it to my computer and I can't try to now. The preview shows up with everything new.

I never pick any attributes.

Some of the new caches that did not come across

Traditional Cache Oh no! Not another bush hunt!

by pascopete | GC3XGY0 | Florida

Premium Member Only Cache 09/25/2012 New! 2 days ago*

Send to GPS

[Really Far..] 0

Traditional Cache Whack! Back to you D8

by pascopete | GC3XPYA | Florida

Premium Member Only Cache 9/29/2012 New! Today*

Send to GPS

[Really Far..] 0

Traditional Cache Full Schmull

by pascopete | GC3XKVT | Florida

Deb, the same thing happened to me a few days ago and I missed out on some hides that were replaced and enabled. After discovering the problem, I went to my PQs Ready For Download Page and deleted that PQ. The following morning I requested the PQ again and the new caches showed up fine.

I don't know why, but my guess is if that PQ is already on the ready list with a few more days left, it doesn't update. Now I just go to the PQs Ready For Download Page and delete ones I am going to request prior to checking the day to run. It is not ideal to have to remember the extra step, but it did work for me.

Hi Momster,

Unfortunately this is not a new problem for me. It has been happening for awhile

Deb

Difficulty and Terrain are set at "greater than or equal to 1"

This is the only thing I can see that may potentially pose a problem. Are these two items ticked? I remember reading recently that if you have these ticked, but leave them at the default "greater than or equal to 1", it can cause problems. Leaving them unticked means the same thing, anyway.

I did notice that the 3 examples you gave are all Premium Member Only and hidden by the same owner. I can't think of why those would be excluded, though. Obviously you're a Premium Member if you're running PQs!

Curiouser and curiouser...

To get new data, you have to rerun the PQ. If you download a PQ that you ran a few days ago, then you'll get data from a few days ago.

To get new data, you have to rerun the PQ. If you download a PQ that you ran a few days ago, then you'll get data from a few days ago.

I did. The old PQ had 3 days remaining. I reran that PQ and it changed to 6 days remaining. After loading it into my GPSr, I later discovered that the PQ data had not actually updated. After I deleted that PQ from the Ready For Download Page, and reran the PQ yet again the following day, the PQ updated the current geocache information properly.

Caches total:

Radius: I have tried 50, 75, 100 200 and 400miles none seem to make a difference.

When you select 1000 caches with a 50 mile radius how many caches are returned in the query?

@Geotrekker

I don’t think I tried doing 1000 at 50 mile radius. I was trying to do a smaller area hoping to get the more local ones. I did the 1000 caches at 200 and 300 maybe 400 once I can’t remember. I am getting ready to try again today. Wish me luck.

Deb

Caches total:

When you select 1000 caches with a 50 mile radius how many caches are returned in the query?

@Geotrekker

I don’t think I tried doing 1000 at 50 mile radius. I was trying to do a smaller area hoping to get the more local ones. I did the 1000 caches at 200 and 300 maybe 400 once I can’t remember. I am getting ready to try again today. Wish me luck.

Deb

My goodness but we have a lot of caches around here!

I ran 1000 at 10 mile radius and got back 860 caches!

I forgot to exclude the ones I have found so when I edited the PQ it dropped to 775 but still that is a lot of caches in such a small area.

So then I dropped it to 1000 in 5 miles and got back 239 caches. Crazy!

These are 2 of the new ones that show in my preview.

NRGP005

by NClingen | GC3XKY9 | Florida placed 09/27/2012

NRGP004

by NClingen | GC3XG8Q | Florida placed 09/25/2012

There are some on here that I have never seen before so I wonder if I need to do several PQs at smaller radius to get them to all load?

So ….. I just tried to download these 239 and it worked!!!!!

Now I just have to figure out how large of a radius I can do and I know I saw a link that told me how to do this. If you all have advise on that I will take it.

Thank you all for your help

I wonder how does the PQ decide which caches to add and which not?

For PQs based on a center point and a radius, it's the ones closest to the center point (or at least it's supposed to be, but not in your case for some reason).

For region-based PQs, with no center point defined, it's the oldest ones.

For Caches-along-a-route PQs, Markwell did some research to determine how that works and detailed his results in this post.