Caches placed on SSSI

Because they have permission from the landowner to place it there.

If you want to persue this you'd be better off asking in the UK forums as most of the rest of the world won't know what you're talking about,

For anyone who is wondering an SSSI is a "Site of Special Scientific Interest" in the UK. The UK reviewers have the locations of all the SSSIs and they are very strict when it comes to requiring permission for caches placed on SSSIs.

Edit to add: anyone who's REALLY interested look here

Edited by MartyBartfast

A recent regular cache has been published locally which turns out to be a multi with the final location on SSSI.

How do these get published?

Crikey you're on the ball. Became a member on the 30th. Found 2 caches (one before you joined) and within 24 hours you're posting on the forum challenging the final location of a multi that you dont appear to have logged as found.

In my experience any place in the world has the possibility of having a cache if... and its a big IF... they have permission and a reviewer accepts it. Do you or your SP feel there is a serious problem with the cache?

I would just like to add here that the process for getting approval for placing a cache on an 'SSSI' is quite straightforward.

It is necessary fist to get permission for placement from the 'landowner'. Next send an email to the local Natural England office enclosing the landowner permission email. Unless there are really special circumstances with regard to the location then NE will respond positively.

The NE response will be either that 'you have permission from the landowner therefore specific permission from Natural England is not required for this location' or they will send a formal-looking permission document addressed to the landowner and copied to the cacher.

The next step is simply to copy the text of these permissions into a 'Reviewer Note' and submit the cache for review. Sometimes if the emails are lengthy it maybe necessary to split into two or more 'Reviewer Notes' as there is a word limit.

I would just like to add here that the process for getting approval for placing a cache on an 'SSSI' is quite straightforward.

It is necessary fist to get permission for placement from the 'landowner'. Next send an email to the local Natural England office enclosing the landowner permission email. Unless there are really special circumstances with regard to the location then NE will respond positively.

The NE response will be either that 'you have permission from the landowner therefore specific permission from Natural England is not required for this location' or they will send a formal-looking permission document addressed to the landowner and copied to the cacher.

The next step is simply to copy the text of these permissions into a 'Reviewer Note' and submit the cache for review. Sometimes if the emails are lengthy it maybe necessary to split into two or more 'Reviewer Notes' as there is a word limit.

Only the Landowner's permission is required, not necessarily NE. This has been discussed before here.

Only the Landowner's permission is required, not necessarily NE. This has been discussed before here.

Yes, I have seen the Thread you cited but in my experience in communications with various NE representatives that is NOT always the case and Reviewers should take note of that.

Edited by HEADLANDERS

Yes, I have seen the Thread you cited but in my experience in communications with various NE representatives that is NOT always the case and Reviewers should take note of that.

I can only go off official communications to cachers, off NE which have made it clear that as long as the activity is not one requiring a Licence, and not a Single NE Employee has ever come back stating that Geocaching falls within that. Then NE unless they actually own the Land, they at the end of the day, can Legally only give "Approval" and not Permission.

My personal experience as a cache owner was with their Welsh Counterpart, CCW. Way back in 2004, and I was the first person at least in Wales and possibly the UK, to obtain Landowner Permission for a SSSI. But in my case the SSSI Steering Group, had to give their approval. That included CCW, who did a Site Inspection, and I was person to person informed during that Site Inspection, that CCW can only give "Approval".

The UK Reviewers require "Landowner Permission" for caches in SSSI's, it is up to each individual Landowner to decide if NE/CCW/SNHi is asked for "Approval".

Unless we get a Official Communication directly off NE/CCW/SNHi to state that they have to Give "Permission" for caches placed in SSSI's, then we will always leave the decision about referral to NE/CCCW/SNHi to the Landowner. Because at the end of the day, the Land belongs to the Landowner, and they are the ones Legally Responsible for "all" activities taking place on the Designated area they own.

Deci

...and not even the landowner's permission in some cases.

There's a very popular series not a million miles from us - seemingly partly located on a couple of SSSIs (and in areas protected for other reasons too) - which were permitted with permission from no-one but a volunteer local interest group with no links to the site's owners at all ;)

Thanks for clarifying that for me. So my understanding now is that placing a cache on an 'SSSI' no no different from placing a cache elsewhere i.e. just landowner permission required.