Oregon 550

russellkit

I just purchased an Oregon 550 (upgrade from a Garmin Legend). When I plug the gps into the computer, I only get the picture of the unit plugged in. I can't turn the unit on, or use anything while connected to the computer. Is this really supposed to happen? I expected to be able to bounce around different screens and see/do things while not using battery power.

A secondary question is: How do I delete a pocket query I loaded? I didn't actually go caching, but I wanted to see how it loaded a PQ. Now I don't want that particular PQ on my gps, but can't figure out how to delete them.

Feeling frustrated with this new gadget. The Legend is looking better -- as least I knew how to use it. Grrrr.

I just purchased an Oregon 550 (upgrade from a Garmin Legend). When I plug the gps into the computer, I only get the picture of the unit plugged in. I can't turn the unit on, or use anything while connected to the computer. Is this really supposed to happen? I expected to be able to bounce around different screens and see/do things while not using battery power.

A secondary question is: How do I delete a pocket query I loaded? I didn't actually go caching, but I wanted to see how it loaded a PQ. Now I don't want that particular PQ on my gps, but can't figure out how to delete them.

Feeling frustrated with this new gadget. The Legend is looking better -- as least I knew how to use it. Grrrr.

Hello,

Any Dakota/Oregon type device always shows the plug in screen while it is attached to the computer, so this is normal. To delete the pocket query you will open the drive for the device and then go into the GPX folder and select that pocket query and then delete.

Setup>System>Interface Choose Garmin Spanner. This should allow you to choose between going into mass storage mode and using the GPSr as normal when you plug it into your computer or turn it on when it is already plugged in. When you are in mass storage mode, you will not be able to do anything with the unit.

There is no way to delete the GPX, or an individual cache, from the units menus. As, Reardon41 said, enter mass storage mode and delete the gpx.

The Garmin Oregon Wiki has answers to many other questions.

Edited by Mr Kaswa

Setup>System>Interface Choose Garmin Spanner. This should allow you to choose between going into mass storage mode and using the GPSr as normal when you plug it into your computer or turn it on when it is already plugged in. When you are in mass storage mode, you will not be able to do anything with the unit.

There is no way to delete the GPX, or an individual cache, from the units menus. As, Reardon41 said, enter mass storage mode and delete the gpx.

Thank you for the help. You led me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

The Garmin Oregon Wiki has answers to many other questions.