Oregon 450T not working in Vietnam

Ginirover

Hay

I`ve asked this question also already in the Asian forum-part but since time is rather short I also put it here, hoping that somebody can help me out.

So we're in Vietnam (Hanoi) now and ofcourse ready to pick up some caches along the way here. We have an Oregon 450T and I've loaded him back home with more or less every cache that might be on our way during our trip. But when we arrived today our GPS just doesn`t seem to recognize the fact that we`re here now and not back home anymore.. I have let him search for a long time but nothing came out of it, not even the coordinates of where we are right now..

Has anybody already come across this or knows a solution ? We`re only here a couple of days and ofcourse it would be fun to add a Vietnamese (and later on a Cambodian) cache on the list...

Yes, I did make two threads as I completely would understand if the one in the Asian forum would only be replied to in a couple of days - there aren`t that many cchers over here - that`s why I'm betting on two horses at this moment as we`re only briefly here and won`t come back soon probably...

As to trying to find more open space : we`ll, we`re in the center of Hanoi but I did take the GPS to a square nearby without much result. But I`m happy to give it a new shot tomorrow if we find bigger open spaces. Mabye it`s only that but trying to avoid other things that ;ight have to be chainged in the settings or so (don`t have this for too long).

Thanks for both reactions so soon and hope I can confirm this was the solution tomorrow :)

FWIW.... internal settings of the GPSr would (should) have no bearing on reception -- unless you had inadvertently turned the GPS off -- not the unit, but its' ability to search for and display GPS readings. Dunno about the 450T, but I can and often do that with my Delorme depending upon what I am using it for. It always defaults back to "on" when restarted, though.

You've moved it a long way from where it thinks it is.

Give it time...

Not familiar with your unit, but, generally Garmin go through a process when searching.

Keep an eye on the screen, it may ask if you want to re-start the search... Press Yes.

It may ask you if you've moved from where it was last used... Press Yes.

It may then ask you some more questions... Answer them!

It can take up to 30-45 minutes to fully work out where it is, and download the Almanac.

Good Luck!

Gps needs free view to the sky, sometimes it can take 20 minutes, do not hold your head between gps and sky to see if it has a lock, be aware of cell/tv/radio towers and maybe your sky is filled with heavy rainclouds (typhoon on the way to Japan)

Your gps should work over there in normal conditions.

Edited by splashy

Indeed, seems you all were right. I took the GPS to the huge Ho Chi Mingh-square here in Hanoi and gave it loads of time - didn't find anything after 20 minutes so we turned it off and went to visit the museum. When we came out we tried again and after another 10 minutes or so we got connected :)

I never knew it would take so long for a GPS to relocate.. Anyway, we`re off now and found our first cache in Vietnam the afternoon B)

Thanks for the help folks !

Indeed, seems you all were right. I took the GPS to the huge Ho Chi Mingh-square here in Hanoi and gave it loads of time - didn't find anything after 20 minutes so we turned it off and went to visit the museum. When we came out we tried again and after another 10 minutes or so we got connected :)

I never knew it would take so long for a GPS to relocate.. Anyway, we`re off now and found our first cache in Vietnam the afternoon B)

Thanks for the help folks !

SUPER!

Enjoy and have a ball!