Caches into PN-40

*Jeremy*

By "CR" -- I am guessing that you are referring to Cache Register.

The simplest thing for your friend to do would be to download it from Delorme. It's free.

Dunno what could be more simple than that........

EDIT to add: He could also load them through Topo 9, which came with the unit (at least it is supposed to)..... but I have not found doing that way is at all simple (I positively DO lack computer skills).

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I have been using CR to get my queries from GC.com to my PN-40.

I have a friend who just bought a PN-40 and does not have CR.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions for him?

My personal opinion is that it is easier to download them directly to the memory.

Connect the GPS to you computer using the USB cable. Select Settings->Connect To Computer->Internal Drive. Copy the GPX file from the PQ into the Waypoints folder. Then, under the Geocaching menu, select File->Open and open it.

Easy as can be. No additional software required.

I have been using CR to get my queries from GC.com to my PN-40.

I have a friend who just bought a PN-40 and does not have CR.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions for him?

My personal opinion is that it is easier to download them directly to the memory.

Connect the GPS to you computer using the USB cable. Select Settings->Connect To Computer->Internal Drive. Copy the GPX file from the PQ into the Waypoints folder. Then, under the Geocaching menu, select File->Open and open it.

Easy as can be. No additional software required.

Problem with that method is that you get the additional waypoints in a separate file from the geocaches. If you have 1000 caches in your PQ, it can take a lot of time to switch between the two when needed. It is possible to combine the two .gpx files together, then use Fizzymagic's method to transfer the resulting gpx file. I use GSAK to do this, just import the .zip file right into GSAK, then export it right to the PN-40.

Edit: Thought I'd might add, it is important to install the more recent firmware. If the PN-40 was sitting on the back shelf of some store for a couple of years, it may not be compatible with the latest Cache Register, nor be able to transfer directly to the unit.

Edited by TomToad