People who only TAKE and do not TRADE

Jumpmaster

What do you think about people who just TAKE from caches and do not actually TRADE? And then have the gall to post a log of just "cool"?????

Just asking because I am a bit tired of it, myself.

I quit trading long ago. I've come to the conclusion that putting swag in caches is a waste of money. Very few people trade up or even anymore.

Well what do you think about those people who just sign the log and leave nothing? Then post a log of ;

Not sure what it has to do with the OP, but I've become used to it. It used to bother me slightly, but actually not nearly as bad as the "# of ## caches for the day" type logs.

I'm guilty of some of those # of ## logs... though they start a long which has greater description. I found out how annoying "easy" etc logs where then...

It's probably similar with people taking swag and not trading. It's more irritating when it's your own cache!! I tend to put more items in then i take out when i have my swag box with me!

It annoys me when people don't say anything about a cache I take pride in. I don't care if someone goes up to one of my park and grabs and says something like TFTC. But when I take the time to hide a cache in a cool place I'd like to see them make an actual comment. Its not mandatory but its nice to see what people think about my caches. It makes me happy when people have fun finding them :)

There are three "so-called" rules of geocaching (from the Geocaching 101 section):

1. If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.
  2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.
  3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

People who TAKE and do not leave something are violating rule #1. Of course most of the time we we get posts in here about people not following rule #2. Rule #3 does not seem to require saying anything in the online log, just log a Found It or a Did Not Find It depending on what experience you had, so a log of "cool" seems to be more than is required.

If Groundspeak ever settles the labor dispute with the official geocaching referees we can hope to see the game played according to these rules. In the meantime we will just have to continue to put up with the replacement officials (who I'm sure will continue to post their calls for us to discuss in forums). :omnomnom:

Don't think much of 'em. Sadly, I used to take a family caching that wouldn't bring stuff along, even though they were well aware they were supposed to. It was kind of lame that the kids were allowed to take stuff, without replacing and I was always having to scramble to replace the swag. Can't really understand the mindset. Some people do things in groups that they wouldn't do alone.

Fortunately, this doesn't seem to be a problem with most of my caches. Most people will at least trade *something*. I checked on one of my caches once and it appear the stuff in there was *better* than when I had hidden it. :D

I have one cache that's in a popular spot, very close to parking etc. and alot of the swag had been replaced with rocks and sticks. It was upsetting, but I try to remind myself that maybe 99% of people were trading fair and then 1 person or group came along and made a mess of it. One thing I did do was to remove the very helpful hint so at least it's a bit more "idiot proof". :D

I must admit that it has happened once in a while that we have taken a little something and left nothing.

We stopped trading many many years ago, but we do carry swag and maintenance supplies with us in our caching bag. Once or twice in the last few years we have come across an item in a cache that we would really like, and didnt have our bag with us. I admit to taking that item. If possible we go back and add something, but if not, we will put swag in another cache in the area.

On the other hand we have lots of caches hidden and we always place swag in our new regulars and on occasion we will go and add swag. We have a cache that is very popular near a water theme park and a zoo. That cache is a no trade cache. You can take an item and dont need to leave anything. We regularly place new toys in it.

http://coord.info/GCKW6F

Edited by Ma & Pa

I tend to leave stuff, and not take anything! :anitongue:

Moi, aussi.

It HAS been a while, but I have seen owner notes to 'Please take something and don't leave anything! The cache is bursting!!'

I have also found a few caches with owner instructions (on the page itself) to not leave anything, and just take something.

That has been our problem, also. Cache containers were too full, and it makes it difficult to close the lid on a lock & lock. I never thought of putting a note on the cache page to ask people to take stuff. Not that anybody reads cache pages any more.

I've taken stuff out of caches (ours and ones that belong to others) so that the container isn't stuffed so full that the lid won't close, the log book is buried at the bottom, and hopefully to make it easier to drop trackables.

That gives us something to drop into caches that don't have much in them.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Most caches are put out with the idea of take something leave something. All of mine are. Unless stated otherwise by the CO, if you take and do not leave anything, you are stealing!

Have you ever seen the flower, or vegetable stand on a rural road with a box, and a sign putting you on the honor system for paying. Would you take something from there and leave no money? (Even if you saw something you really liked and had no money?)

Just because we use swag and not money does not make it any less of a theft. You wouldn't come to my garage sale and walk off with something without paying. Why do you think it's okay to do it to my cache?

I never thought of putting a note on the cache page to ask people to take stuff.

These were caches designed to distribute things to cachers, and the owner would occasionally replenish the stock.

You are right about people seldom reading cache page(s) these days...sad. :(

We have one of these out there. It is so noted on the cache page that it exists for people to take.

Here is a portion of the cache page:

Aside from the logbook and pencil, it contains ONLY stones.

All the stones are polished, either tumble-polished or cut and polished. Most are beach stones from Lake Superior, many are commercially acquired stones from worldwide locations.

It is to trade POLISHED stones if you have some with you. If not, feel free to take one anyway (for each of your troupe). Please, don't be greedy. The intent is just to trade or give you a "treasure" find in your caching endeavour!

Should you desire to trade, any POLISHED stone is acceptable. Rubies, sapphires, emeralds or diamonds will be gladly accepted!

A (small) Travel Bug or Geocoin is also acceptable, in order to keep them moving/visiting different caches.

Space within the cache container is at a premium.

People always like the large ammo size cans. Sure great but somebody has to pay for them and fill them with SWAG. I am getting tired of doing it for most of the reasons given in this thread. When I downsize to small and micros then I only leave a log and maybe a few McPhee jewels. But that does nothing for the kids. They are my main target with the larger caches, especially when my Grandson comes along.

When I started caching in Belgium, I came across two ammo cans, and unfortunately the swag levels were depressing. MacToys, dirt and tea lights, but nothing much of value except on occasion a travel bug. When I came home to the Netherlands the swag was surprisingly good. I think some caches attract newbies and since people tend to not read rules on websites, perhaps you can improve the level of swag by leaving a gentle reminder in the cache itself for cachers to find.

Have you ever seen the flower, or vegetable stand on a rural road with a box, and a sign putting you on the honor system for paying. Would you take something from there and leave no money? (Even if you saw something you really liked and had no money?)

Unfortunately there are a lot of people that would do this. I talked to a farmer once who used to sell flowers this way. Unfortunately he had to stop due to thefts.

Ok, well "the rest of the story" is that the cretin that did this changed the original date of his log to the MONTH BEFORE IT WAS PUBLISHED after I sent him a message asking if he traded anything or simply just took the item in the cache.

So yes -- I consider that thievery as well.

I appreciate the supportive comments, but it is sad that others are seeing this more lately also. This is one reason I stopped hiding ammo can caches and began hiding micros and nanos instead. :(

What do you think about people who just TAKE from caches and do not actually TRADE? And then have the gall to post a log of just "cool"?????

Just asking because I am a bit tired of it, myself.

I know thats a bummer...I try to bring swag with me....and I agree its' NOT COOL" to take something and leave nothing