Include Pocket Query name

wimseyguy

In the PQ page, just above the Submit button, check the box for "Include Pocket Query name in the download file name".

This will have the number plus the name in the file name.

Would prefer just the name only too. Yup should not really be an additional check item to get the name.

Edited by Mockingbird559

Dunno, but it definitely annoys the heck out of me. Once in a while, I forget to check it, and all my stuff that depends on being able to tell which PQ is which goes out the window.

My guess is that originally -- before my time -- the implementation didn't let you give a name and just assigned a number for each PQ unilaterally. Then when they added names, they thought they had to do something that remained compatible for anything or anybody that was used to just the numbers. I can just barely imagine that that once made a little sense, but the whole thing with its queer numbers, with or without the name, looks downright antique to me.

For the last two years, I keep expecting an update description that has a line saying, "Oh, by the way, we finally got around to eliminating those ghastly numbers in the pocket queries. Sorry it took so long!" But I've been disappointed every time so far.

I'll be interested if anyone can tell us what they're good for.

When my PQs are ready every morning, I download them, load them into GSAK, and delete them from my system.

It would be like naming a soap-bubble.

That system works nicely for those who do as you do and keep their local data up to date daily.

But I routinely cache more than 20 miles from my home zone, so I keep a PQ set for those areas and run it the night before I am heading out. I also have a separate PQ set for the 100+ paddle caches in this area so that they don't take up 10% of the space in my normal local PQ since I won't be kayak caching on a whim. I even keep PQ's set for where my family members live as I will certainly be caching there.

On a recent trip my 'soap bubbles' were 50+ miles apart, but the location of where my cruise ship was stopping for the day so they each got unique PQ's. It is a minor and unnecessary inconvenience to have to check the box for each PQ that I rau.

I agree that there may be some reasons for using the numbers, but if I choose to add a name, why can't the coding be smart enough to check that box automagically? :unsure:

Edited by wimseyguy

When my PQs are ready every morning, I download them, load them into GSAK, and delete them from my system.

It would be like naming a soap-bubble.

You name the pocket query nevertheless, even if the name is "New Query". What's the advantage, even in your case, of having the file named 5689293.zip instead of NewQuery.zip?

Why isn't the default for this option to have the box checked?

Is there ever a reason why someone wouldn't want to have the name with the file instead of just the digits?

For that matter, why is it even an option to not get the name?

Names are not unique, digits are. Ever stop to think how many "Close to Home" PQ's would be stored on the server and how do you keep them sorted out. The name, if you tick the box, is appended to the digits. Works for me.

Names are not unique, digits are. Ever stop to think how many "Close to Home" PQ's would be stored on the server and how do you keep them sorted out. The name, if you tick the box, is appended to the digits. Works for me.

Well, yeah, no doubt this was the original problem, but surely it wouldn't be hard in this modern age to give each user's pocket queries a unique address space now that they've invented file directories.

Well, yeah, no doubt this was the original problem, but surely it wouldn't be hard in this modern age to give each user's pocket queries a unique address space now that they've invented file directories.

I don't know how they arrange the thousands of pocket queries on their system. Do you? Perhaps your making an assumption that might not be quite right.

I don't know how they arrange the thousands of pocket queries on their system. Do you? Perhaps your making an assumption that might not be quite right.

On the contrary, I assume they handle pocket queries in a way that forces them to continue inflicting this artifact on us. Obviously changing how pocket queries are implemented is part of the suggestion.