"Copy" TB

Obilon

From this cache? Moroni's Most Ancient Cache

Was able to search of the cache via your logs, but still no clue as to the trackable. That cache inventory history shows only three personal trackables have been there, still in the hands of the owners.

We have stumbled upon "copy" trackables while the original was still alive and well. Only the Trackable Owner has the proper answer.

There can be a number of explanations or reasons for this happening.

We (in the forums) can only guess, without more info.... even then, it still would only be a "guess".

You have already handled a "proxy" geocoin... so I am guessing that is not the case with this one.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

there's no such thing as a 'FAKE' TB.

and you might as well get used to seeing them.

people are sick of their coins being STOLEN so they're sending out PROXYS.

and when TBs disappear they're sending replacements.

either way it's still a trackable, and if anyone is disappointed with it, they should just leave it for the next cacher.

EXMAN

there's no such thing as a 'FAKE' TB.

and you might as well get used to seeing them.

people are sick of their coins being STOLEN so they're sending out PROXYS.

and when TBs disappear they're sending replacements.

either way it's still a trackable, and if anyone is disappointed with it, they should just leave it for the next cacher.

EXMAN

Well, Ex, here's the deal. As my post explains, the "TB" that I found is NOT the original, nor looks anything LIKE the original, which is still in a different cache in a different state. The tracking number is for a coin in Calif., and this is attached to a plastic dinosaur.

Secondly, I have no problem with it, so "get used to seeing it" isn't the issue. The QUESTION is, what do I do with it since the tracking number is for a totally different TB?

Thirdly, I'm frustrated, too, about original TBs and TCs disappearing or not being logged properly.

Finally, I may be relatively new at GCing, but I'm very experienced in life. One of the things I've learned is that a cordial question should get a cordial response. This IS, after all, just a friendly hobby, right?

Thank you for your response, nevertheless.

O.

Edited by Obilon

Obilon:

I think the best thing that you can do, is to contact the owner of the "other" TB, through their profile. Do include your email address (check the box to include it), as problems occur when one doesn't.

It may be their TB, it may not be their TB -- it is possible that the copy was sent out with a mistakenly written tracking code (characters transposed, misread/copied, and the like...). Such things happen from time-to-time.

If this is the case, then there is little you can do. If the "copy" shows a name, it is possible that you can search via the name here: http://www.geocaching.com/track/ .

Not much else to do except to wait for confirmation from the TO, one way or the other.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

The QUESTION is, what do I do with it since the tracking number is for a totally different TB?

I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer to this question, but I would post a Discover log for the TB, explaining what I found and where, probably include a picture, and state that I would hold on to the copy until I received further instructions from the owner.

I'd also do a little sleuthing in both the TBs log and the log of the cache where I found it to see if I could figure out what happened. Are there log entries showing this copy being relaunched followed by the original being rediscovered? Could I come up with any relation between this TB and one of the recent finders of the cache? Things like that.

Or you could just forget about it. I wouldn't blame you for not trying to resolving someone else's screw up.

If you believe there is an active original, and this is a second one traveling on the same number, contact the owner. It's possible that the original went missing, a copy was sent out, and the original showed up again. When this happens, the copy should be called in, taken out of action. Only one trackable can travel per number, or else the tracking gets all messed up. If the owner doesn't reply, or is inactive, and the original is definitely moving along, don't release it back out in the wild.

But is sounds like someone took a code from a coin and applied it to a purple dinosaur. How can that be legit?

It can be legit because the TO owns the coin and the tracking number. If I have a coin that I want to travel, there is nothing to stop me from writing the code out and attaching it to a purple dinosaur as my proxy.

It is also possible the proxy in question was not logged properly out of the cache in Ca. and traveled to Fl. and again deposited in a cache without proper logging.

Best bet, contact the TB owner for verification.