Need GPS

Ok, I seem to have miss placed my GPS, I have searched everywhere to no avail! So yesterday I was browsing the net in pursuit of a new device. I came across a good price on a Garmin Dakota 10 and a Magellan explorist 310. Any thoughts on the better product?

I have, or should I say had, a Garmin Etrex Legend H which I liked and it was very accurate. The only problem with it was the gray scale screen was hard for my old eyes to read, and it keeps go missing. I don't want to spend my life savings on a new device, but I don't want to go to cheap either, kind of middle of the road, but with good accuracy! B)

Ok, I seem to have miss placed my GPS, I have searched everywhere to no avail! So yesterday I was browsing the net in pursuit of a new device. I came across a good price on a Garmin Dakota 10 and a Magellan explorist 310. Any thoughts on the better product?

I have, or should I say had, a Garmin Etrex Legend H which I liked and it was very accurate. The only problem with it was the gray scale screen was hard for my old eyes to read, and it keeps go missing. I don't want to spend my life savings on a new device, but I don't want to go to cheap either, kind of middle of the road, but with good accuracy! B)

IMHO..... the eTrex Venture HC will be very much like your old Legend, thus easy to use. If you want to move up to somethign paperless, then I would say the Etrex 20 would be the way to go.

I agree. The eTrex 10, although a decent unit..... is lacking in storage capabilities and is still using the grey-scale screen.

I do not believe that you can improve mapping with that unit (could be wrong on that point).

Your best bet is to "bite the bullet" and cough up enough to get a unit that will keep you happy. Hey, who on this earth do you deserve to keep happy, anyway? Treat yourself this time, and don't go chincy on your fun.... you only have one go around to this life.

Besides, once you go truly paperless.... you will never want to go back.

My minimum shot is the Garmin eTrex 20 or the Delorme PN-40. Personally, I just won't enter into the Magellan ring.

ETA: Brand new in the Garage Sale forum: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=302305

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

At the very least, you WILL fall deeply in love with the color screen. Its not all about the color... they are SO much easier to read that you won't regret the money you spent for that reason alone.

I certainly will be going with the colour screen, well worth the $$ if I can read it!! What about the touch screen, are there any noticeable advantages/or disadvantages?

Also keep n mind I tend to miss place my unit.....once I found it at the bottom of a muddy lake after bailing off a canoe!!! So, the waterproof aspect is very necessary!

At the very least, you WILL fall deeply in love with the color screen. Its not all about the color... they are SO much easier to read that you won't regret the money you spent for that reason alone.

I certainly will be going with the colour screen, well worth the $ if I can read it!! What about the touch screen, are there any noticeable advantages/or disadvantages?

Also keep n mind I tend to miss place my unit.....once I found it at the bottom of a muddy lake after bailing off a canoe!!! So, the waterproof aspect is very necessary!

Don't fret... your old one will turn up as soon as you get used to the new one.

I certainly will be going with the colour screen, well worth the $$ if I can read it!! What about the touch screen, are there any noticeable advantages/or disadvantages?

I'll admit I started with a touchscreen. Using a loner while mine was missing killed me. Once you go touchscreen, you will never be able to go back. So useful for mtn biking, quadding, kayaking.

I located my Oregon 300 6 or so months after our move.

The Explorist 310 is a great unit. But I'm going to be honest with you, and believe me, I'm a Magellan man for life now (long story). The 310 still has Joystick entry. The Touchscreen on the Dakota would be a huge advantage.

The Explorist 310, and all the others in the X10 series are very rugged and waterproof, in my opinion. You can add Topo and other maps to an Explorist 310. I'm not so sure you can on the Dakota 10, but don't quote me on that.

You can add Topo and other maps to an Explorist 310. I'm not so sure you can on the Dakota 10, but don't quote me on that.

Too late!!! :o

:D

I do think I will like the touch screen aspect, how is the accuracy of the Dakota?

When you can keep your gloves on and simply reach from the handlebars and touch the screen to zoom in, or change from map to compass or trip computer...

I'm soon to be in the market for replacing my Oregon 300. On a recent motorcycle ride, with the unit clipped to my belt, it apparently found the perfect resting spot to scratch a hole through the touch screen. It hasn't died yet, and the hole is small enough that it is only a minor distraction, but still...

I have come to rely on the touch screen, and likely won't revert back to anything else. My new one, when I cough up the $$$, will be another Oregon. Not only does it give you all the features of the Dakota, but it adds Wherigo capability as well.

I'm soon to be in the market for replacing my Oregon 300. On a recent motorcycle ride, with the unit clipped to my belt, it apparently found the perfect resting spot to scratch a hole through the touch screen. It hasn't died yet, and the hole is small enough that it is only a minor distraction, but still...

I have come to rely on the touch screen, and likely won't revert back to anything else. My new one, when I cough up the $$$, will be another Oregon. Not only does it give you all the features of the Dakota, but it adds Wherigo capability as well.

You might check with Garmin and see if that still qualifies for the refurbishing price, if you're happy with it.

I had a 401T refurbished through them and it was great. I just sent it in and 99.00 and sent another one out the next day. You don't get the same one, but they work great.

The prices vary depending on how old the unit is. The older the unit the cheaper it is to refurbish.

Ok, I seem to have miss placed my GPS, I have searched everywhere to no avail!

When you get another, I'd highly suggest some strict rules for yourself.

I've read so many people talk about leaving their GPS's at caches that I've got strict rules for myself.

I'm not allowed to set my GPS down at all. I bought a carabiner clip for it, and it gets clipped to my belt when I've found the cache. My other GPS has a lanyard and it goes around my neck. It does not get set down on the ground at all!!!!

When I'm at home they go in my purse or in a certain drawer. That's it.

Hard and fast rules.

These suckers are expensive and SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO important!!!!!

I'd hate to be without them. That would really suck!!!

Ok, I seem to have miss placed my GPS, I have searched everywhere to no avail!

When you get another, I'd highly suggest some strict rules for yourself.

I've read so many people talk about leaving their GPS's at caches that I've got strict rules for myself.

I'm not allowed to set my GPS down at all. I bought a carabiner clip for it, and it gets clipped to my belt when I've found the cache. My other GPS has a lanyard and it goes around my neck. It does not get set down on the ground at all!!!!

When I'm at home they go in my purse or in a certain drawer. That's it.

Hard and fast rules.

These suckers are expensive and SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO important!!!!!

I'd hate to be without them. That would really suck!!!

I know what you mean, I just bit the bullet and ordered an Garmin Oregon 450t. I hope it is all that and a box of chocolates!

I got a carabiner clip and a lanyard for this one! Now watch, my old one will be sitting on the counter when I get home! !!

I upgraded from a Garmin 72Cx to an Oregon 450 (after the 72Cx was stolen). The one thing that annoys me about the touch screen is that when I'm trying to pan the map sometimes it marks a location where I touched with a blue pin which I can't seem to remove without touching the left arrow icon to "back up" out of the map that's currently displayed, which reverts the zoom level to what it was when I first started navigating to a way point. Touching the map is *supposed* to mark a location on the map but the sensitivity between a single touch, and a touch and drag (to pan the map) seems to close.

Rather than relying on a unit being "waterproof", it would be wise to invest in a lanyard of some sort. Pre-emptive action to protect your investment.

This one looks neat:

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-retractable-lanyard.html

B.

Rather than relying on a unit being "waterproof", it would be wise to invest in a lanyard of some sort. Pre-emptive action to protect your investment.

This one looks neat:

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-retractable-lanyard.html

B.

You are so right, I have invested in a carabiner clip and lanyard for my new Oregon!

Waterproof is still an important aspect for me since I also went in the lake with my other gps!