Need Help Finding Archived Caches in Lewes, DE

catlady8

Back in September of 2010, we stayed in Rehoboth for Sunfest weekend (which is an OCMD event but we like Rehoboth). We had never been to Lewes (or been back since) and always have our bikes with us. We discovered the Junction & Breakwater Rail Bike Trail. Our main objective was to explore Lewes. I did not have my GPS but had the Geochaging app on my iPhone at the time. So, along the way, we grabbed some caches. I logged them through the app but discovered recently they did not transfer to our profile online (no surprise now given Groundspeak's "performance"). Previously, a cache search would display ALL caches, including those archived. Well, after joining the Geocaching site as a premium member anticipating this option, I now find that Groundspeak, in it's "wisdom" has eliminated it. So, now, instead of conducting a simple search, I must search the web, forums and beg fellow cachers for info on what I believe to be archived caches as they do not show up on current searches as active or disabled. These were all traditional caches, no challenges or puzzles, as I recall, we were in grab and go mode. The only fortunate aspect is that I have pictures of the grabs. I am praying that local cachers will recognize these and maybe have them in their logs so I can get a reference number or other identifier. UNFORTUNATELY, the good times keep rolling as I am unable to upload images into this post. There is an option but it seems the images must be hosted on the web elsewhere already. Honestly, I'm old and not tech advanced enough to figure this stuff out...why can't I simply insert photos directly? Why can't I simply search the web site for archived caches?? I DO NOT see a renewel of the premium membership in my future. Now I'm lost again. I really think cachers familiar with this area could ID the caches by my photos but how to display them with some descriptions? ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, you guys are my only hope!! What about e-mail? I don't know.

Do you KNOW anyone else that had logged the cache? That is usually the easiest way to find info regarding an archived cache -- to search through that finders' logs.

If you HAD logged the cache, a My Finds query will show it. A regular PQ will not show it.

They do not show on a regular PQ for valid reasons -- partly because many are archived because of trespassing issues. To allow a search regarding those caches would only invite trouble.

Another way would be to contact a geocaching group in DE. Somebody there should be able to supply you with the GC#, as they more than likely had found it.

Posting photos in the forums: A photo must already be online in order to post it in the forums. It is done thru linking.

You can upload your photos to most any online photo storage site, then link it into a forum post (even from your own cache hide, if you desire to do it that way).

But no, you cannot upload a photo directly to a forum post.

Thank you!!! Is there a database of geocaching groups? I know some may be on facebook but I'm not "on" facebook and know little how to navigate it. I appreciate the patience and support. I'm sure there are some valid reasons for hiding archived caches but there must be an element of personal repsonsibility. I'm really frustrated by institutional/governmental oversight in lieu of personal accountability. Where does the line get drawn? But this is NOT the forum for that. I just appreciate any and all support in satisfying my quest. I will seek some DE groups but in the meantime, if any find this post, please feel free to assist. THANKS!!!

It could be that the finds were uploaded to the geocaching web site as field notes instead of logs on the cache page. The concept is to allow users to upload basic information about the find through their smart phone application and allow them to access the field notes from a computer with a real keyboard to add details about the search and find, etc.

When you are logged into your account on the geocaching site go here to see if there are any pending field notes associated with your account: http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx

Good luck.

It could be that the finds were uploaded to the geocaching web site as field notes instead of logs on the cache page. The concept is to allow users to upload basic information about the find through their smart phone application and allow them to access the field notes from a computer with a real keyboard to add details about the search and find, etc.

When you are logged into your account on the geocaching site go here to see if there are any pending field notes associated with your account: http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx

Good luck.

He beat me to it. You might want to check what your phone's geocaching app is set to, as you can set it to automatically post a lot from what you enter, or just do the field notes as described above. If you knew what your phone's setting was, it might prevent a surprise in the future.