Google Nexus 7 by ASUS

Nezz130

My Nexus 7 recently came in the mail just the other day and tonight was the first night of me actually using it for Geocaching. Found out, that the GPS it comes with is pretty accurate for being just on a tablet. Found 3 caches tonight in the dark but all with the aid of this new tablet. Using my HTC Evo 4G, I would usually have to walk in circles for a minute or so to get an accurate reading, but this brought me straight to the caches in no light conditions.

We have a Nexus 7 to, and its a great machine. Better suited to researching caches and using in the car to navigate between caches. Once in the field it feels large and fragile compared to a GPSr. Maps are great on such a large screen.

Can't agree more. I've seen people cache with iPads, and it looks really awkward. Plus, where do you put it when you need to free up both hands? On the ground? On a log where it can fall off?

Edited by dakboy

I'm considering grabbing a Nexus 7 instead of replacing my terminally ill Magellan.

Can you elaborate more on how you are using the Nexus 7?

Does the Nexus 7 actually display GPS coordinates without needing 3G/WiFi?

Also - is there an app needed to use the GPS in this fashion, or is one included?

Even at 7", I'd still prefer to carry only one piece of hardware with me into the wilderness and was hoping this would work.

Thanks!

I'm considering grabbing a Nexus 7 instead of replacing my terminally ill Magellan.

Also - is there an app needed to use the GPS in this fashion, or is one included?

Even at 7", I'd still prefer to carry only one piece of hardware with me into the wilderness and was hoping this would work.

Thanks!

GPS does not require a data connection. Depending upon how you want to use the GPS receiver, you may need an app.

You will be limited in what you can do unless you pre-cache map data/imagery and geocache data.

If you're only taking one device with you into the woods, do not make it a tablet. Get a ruggedized GPSr with batteries you can swap out (or will last long enough for your excursion).

Thanks!

The GPS works independantly from any other data, Wifi/3G/4G etc...

You will need to install an app. For offline mapping (no Wifi/3G etc available) a great app is Locus. It supports many differnt map sources for offline and online both, also supports Geocaching and many other incredibly useful things (like tools for projecting waypoints etc.).

There are also many Geocaching specific apps available for Android. You will need to do some research to decide which you think is best.

Best of luck!

Thanks!

GPS does not require a data connection. Depending upon how you want to use the GPS receiver, you may need an app.

You will be limited in what you can do unless you pre-cache map data/imagery and geocache data.

If you're only taking one device with you into the woods, do not make it a tablet. Get a ruggedized GPSr with batteries you can swap out (or will last long enough for your excursion).

Typically, I would agree. However there are a lot of nice cases/protectors that will make this rugged. The battery life is great, lasting close to 10 hours under decent load. It should last for just about any geocaching outing unless you plan on spending days camping or something.

Batteries won't be a problem for a day of geocaching. I appear to be getting about 10 hours on my Nexus 7. My unit will not be going in the woods, however! That's for a real GPS.

Typically, I would agree. However there are a lot of nice cases/protectors that will make this rugged. The battery life is great, lasting close to 10 hours under decent load. It should last for just about any geocaching outing unless you plan on spending days camping or something.

Rugged, but not waterproof.

Rugged, but not waterproof.

Also not bend-proof.