COINTEST - to win a Cottage Garden Spring AE

GoldBugGirl

Through the generosity of those on this forum, I've entered lots of cointests, & I've been thrilled to win several splendid coins. I'm long overdue to give something back to this community, so now that I have my Cottage Garden Spring AE's in hand, I'll begin to rectify that!

b12b7696-cfb1-4f1f-929a-3e079e011c20.jpg

I recently completed my design for Cottage Garden Summer, which I hope can be minted next year. Can you guess one of the 3 summer flowers I selected for the front of the coin? Here are the cointest rules:

1. You may guess one flower every 24 hours, or thereabouts (every morning or every evening is fine). No editing allowed.

2. Since common names vary, please include the genus (the first part of the scientific name). For example, for the bleeding hearts on my spring coin, the genus is Dicentra, or for the forget-me-nots, the genus is Myosotis. This information should be easy to Google for whatever flower you want to guess.

3. The first correct guess of each of the 3 summer flowers wins a Cottage Garden Spring AE. To ensure 3 different winners, I'll be checking this thread several times daily....when someone has guessed correctly, I'll announce that they've won a coin, then that person or team may not guess again.

4. The cointest ends when all 3 flowers have been guessed, then I'll post my design here.

Good luck!

Edited by Eartha

Always nice to see a cointest and especially with such a beautiful coin but due to a lucky mix up of packages earlier this month, I am happy to say I managed to add one to my collection before GoldbugGirl had even seen them :) So I will stay out of this one and say good luck to everyone else. Thanks for the trade Judy I look forward to the next one in the series :)

Edited by jpbarr

First of all we like to say your geocoin is absolutely stunning.

Our guess would be: Gladiolus also known as Gladiole, Gladioluses, Gladioli.

Gladiolus is also known as the Sword Lily, due to its sword shaped leaves, or Corn Lily.

The impressive flower spikes of Gladioli come in a wide array of beautiful colors.

Genus: Gladiolus The Gladiolus flower signifies remembrance. It also expresses infatuation, telling the receiver that he or she pierces the heart. It also stands for strength of character, faithfulness and honor.

No Clue maybe a Rose - but the Green Man is very visible. But your coin would be a very nice addition to my Green Man Coin.

Back in 2002 the Green Man Coin was released and I happened to stumble across #0254.

The 'Green Man' image, also commonly known as the leafy man, is a primitive image. He is 'Jack in the Green', the 'Old Man of the Woods', 'Green George' and many other things to many men. He may be recognized as a face, often grotesque, with foliage sprouting from his mouth, nose, eyes or ears. Alternatively, his face may be entirely composed of leave.

The Green Man may be seen staring at us from the interiors and exteriors of our great Cathedrals and Churches. One very stylish image of the Green Man comes to us through the Arthurian legend of Sir Gawain, also called the 'Green Knight'.

Some believe those favored by the 'Green Man' receive the gift of insight. the next time you are searching for a cache, imagine him looking at you from among the trees.

what a beautiful coin!!! WOW!! Lovely flowers!!!!

I will guess.... Red Hot Poker Plant also known as Kniphofia! it is also called Tritoma, Torch lily or Poker plant, is a genus of plants in the family Xanthorrhoeaceae, subfamily Asphodeloideae. the genus of it is the Kniphofia!

thank you so much for the cointest! :)

Just checkin' in to say, no winners yet....but I'm enjoying your entries! Many of those you've named, I've grown & loved. Funny how a flower can evoke so many memories. Okay, I gotta ask...kini_ont...is Narcissus a summer flower in Ontario? Wow, the ground up there must stay frozen a long time...here in Louisiana, Narcissus are blooming their pretty white heads off in late February! I remember picking them & putting them in a vase with some food coloring added to the water...in a few hours, you can see the color in the veins of the white petals! My grandmother showed me that as a kid...thanks for the memory!

Just checkin' in to say, no winners yet....but I'm enjoying your entries! Many of those you've named, I've grown & loved. Funny how a flower can evoke so many memories. Okay, I gotta ask...kini_ont...is Narcissus a summer flower in Ontario? Wow, the ground up there must stay frozen a long time...here in Louisiana, Narcissus are blooming their pretty white heads off in late February! I remember picking them & putting them in a vase with some food coloring added to the water...in a few hours, you can see the color in the veins of the white petals! My grandmother showed me that as a kid...thanks for the memory!

No it is a spring flower later March-May depending of course on the weather and also that's our spring :blink: lol

I'm going to go for the iris, genus iris.

They are often thought of as a spring flower here (such as the miniature iris reticulata) but they do re-flower in the summer. Years ago my mother gave me the rhizomes for her beautiful flag iris I had grown up with when she dug them out of her garden. I replanted them right at the bottom of our garden, and they flowered that spring. Then a builder dug them up that summer when he put in a new road down to the bungalow he was building! :mad: