New to paperless caching and confused

nedinwc

I just bought a Garmin map62, and was very excited to be able to finally do paperless caching. I've loaded some gpx files onto the unit, and I have the list of caches showing, but how do I find the description page on the dashboard? What I'm seeing is like a loc file which was all I could previously upload on my old unit. I am under the impression, from reading through posts here, that I don't need a software program like GSAK, that I can simply download the file and put it into the gpx file on the unit, yes?

Must a make a pocket query and download that into a software like OKMap, then move it from there to the gps? What if I only want to load up a dozen caches, seems like a lot of extra steps. I tried out GSAK for the trial period, but wasn't using it enough to justify purchasing.

Maybe the info is in my unit and I just don't know how to find it? See, I'm confused.

First of all, you should probably delete all LOC files and their associated folders.

You do not need GSAK or other software to load a Pocket Query to your unit.

Secondly, a PQ need not be the full 1,000 caches. Create a small one, either by distance or number (of caches).

In that you can run up to 5 PQ's/day, they are relatively cheap -- so to speak. That's 35/wk... so you have lots of 'playing room' using PQ's.

To make it even better, set up your PQ and make sure that you DO NOT set a day of the week to run it. When you [submit] it, you have access to that prospective PQ to see exactly what the results would be -- viewable from a link near the top of the PQ page.

Don't like it? Don't run it.

If it suits your fancy, return to it, set the day-to-run and [submit]. It does not count against your total until you do this.

Pocket Queries initially may seem like a pain but in reality, they are a boon. Play with 'em and learn all the different things you can do with them. You'll find (I think) that they will end up being easier than clicking "Send to GPS" bunches of times.

Add to that, route Pocket Queries are pretty nice, too!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I finally figured out how to view cache info on my map62. Took a lot of button pushing and searching, but I found the correct sequence. Not hard once you know what to do, but the manuals and such don't really explain how to navigate through the navigator.

As far as pocket queries go, do you need a intermediary software to transfer them to the GPS? Can't just dump the ZIP file into the gpx file of the unit. I don't see any other way.

Edited by nedinwc

As far as pocket queries go, do you need a intermediary software to transfer them to the GPS? Can't just dump the ZIP file into the gpx file of the unit. I don't see any other way.

That's about it....

Unzip the zipped file, drag and drop it into the GPX folder. No intermediary is needed.

GSAK is a wonderful program for managing GPX files, but it isn't actually necessary for putting them to the GPSr.

People do use it for sorting, preventing duplications ...... all sorts of stuff, but you don't need it for loading.

I finally figured out how to view cache info on my map62. Took a lot of button pushing and searching, but I found the correct sequence. Not hard once you know what to do, but the manuals and such don't really explain how to navigate through the navigator.

True, the GPSr doesn't know what to do with a .zip file.

But, it does know what to do with the .gpx file inside once you extract that and put it in the GPSr.