Newbie and foliage

happycampers97

Was wondering if any one had any hints or tips when it comes to finding a cache in dense foliage. I have had good luck finding urban type caches like those hidden near signs, light poles, and when there is a single tree nearby. My problem I am having is when the GZ is thick with various vegetation. I try to look high and low, but I'm striking out more times than not. I try to follow the 20 foot rule and put my GPS away, but I'm not sure if I need to bushwhack and penetrate deeper into the brush or am I over thinking it.

Hmm... sometimes geotrails help show you where the cache is (or at least, where others have searched for the cache).

Sometimes the "phone a friend" rule helps. Many cache owners choose locations that are easy to describe over the phone when their friends call asking for a hint. So caches often end up being near objects that are easy to remember and easy to describe over the phone.

Depending on the camouflage, it can help to change the lighting. Some camouflage materials are less effective at different times of the day, or under bright artificial light, or under UV light, or whatever.

For caches that hang in the foliage, it can help to gently rustle the branches. The hanging caches usually move in a different way that is distinct from the way the foliage moves. (Think "gentle breeze", not "hurricane wind".)

Was wondering if any one had any hints or tips when it comes to finding a cache in dense foliage. I have had good luck finding urban type caches like those hidden near signs, light poles, and when there is a single tree nearby. My problem I am having is when the GZ is thick with various vegetation. I try to look high and low, but I'm striking out more times than not. I try to follow the 20 foot rule and put my GPS away, but I'm not sure if I need to bushwhack and penetrate deeper into the brush or am I over thinking it.

Are you using a GPS or a cell phone?

Thanks for the replies. I am using a Magellan Explorist and I also use my HTC smartphone as well to read the clues and logs since to this point I have been too cheap to upgrade to a premium subscription. The CO has emailed his phone # after I failed to find an easy one of his on a couple trips, but I still feel kind of weird calling him. On one hand I and determined to find it on my own and I hate to give the poor man regrets for offering his number, but at the same time the thrill of finding one has not been lost on me.

Your GPSr may be affected by the tree cover. Other than that I can only offer a couple suggestions. One is to read the logs to see if there may be hints from previous finders. Another is that nothing in nature is perfectly round-like a lid to a peanut butter jar or round Lock and Lock. Or perfectly straight-like the edges on an ammo can. Looking for those two things may help, and I say may because true master of camo can make the lines "dissapear" but it's worth a try.

Oh and like was mentioned above me, look for geotrails. That is places where someone has been, be it footprints in the snow, or seeing where the brush was pushed away, broken, and trampled down.

I once dragged myself through stinging nettles, got soaked wading through a creek and ended up looking like a fugitive. All the while I'm thinking, "Is this what the cache owner went through to place this cache"?. Absolutely not. I didn't read enough of the description and didn't bother to look at any of the log entries. Mind you, some CO's might like to hide caches that way, lol, but this CO takes the easy route...as most do. I agree, check for geo-trails, unusual piles of sticks, etc., and you'll nail it. Good luck!

It's really helped me to do a 360 around the approximate location - if my gps shows me it's in a little thicket or in a bush. I can't tell you how many times I've plowed in and gotten all scratched up just to find the cache, turn around and see a nice clean trail out. Also do the 360 in the smaller region where you're "sure" the cache is - the obvious tree, stump, whatever. Going in circles helps you see all sorts of clues - footprints, oddly placed rocks, reflections, etc. that you won't see looking at your GPS.

I actually prefer the trail hides for this reason. I like a little time to think and solve the puzzle without having to fake a call or make that SOUND those dang lamp skirts make :)

Always read the previous logs - especially if you're peeking at them online a day before you go - if people say "easy fun find" or "my two year old made the find" or the like, then I know that my brutally thorny stupid way in is probably wrong :)

When I went caching a while ago, I entered a bush while the rest of the team stayed out on the trail. It turned out the coordinates were a little off, so once I got my coat detangled from the thorny bush, I heard a "found it"-call from the trail. What does that tell me? Start searching before entering the bushes. You might pick up on something odd that could be hiding the cache before you even get in that bush.