Home Page improvements for Account Holders

AtwellFamily

I find myself clicking on Your Profile-> Quick View more then I do anything else from the home page after I log in. I am suggesting that once a user logs into geocaching.com that the home page look like image below (forgive me if this is rough). This provides some direct links to things that I and others I have talked to use most often and others that I thought would be good to have on the page. The scrolling finds bar at the bottom is replaced for more space that could be used for information more useful to experienced users.

Suggestions and opinions are helpful and welcome!

de6c5a72-9954-44e8-8a8f-5c45de160768.jpg?rnd=0.9340588

If I want to see the intro material on the home page, then I go to the home page.

If I want to see the log history and other information on my profile page, then I go to my profile page.

I don't see why this is a problem, or why it would be helpful to hide the intro material on the home page when I'm logged in.

I like your idea a lot! That layout and look is great :)

Did you just 'draw' that image up, or is that a script that rearranges it for you? Like a greasemonky script.

I have a degree in Computer Science but haven't programmed in years. This is some cut and paste in MS Paint, then in MSWord to add some elements. Tried to stay with the current configuration of the home page but add content that I would use and or wanted.

Why question is why have a home page that most of your customers don't use or go to, no very useful them.

Why question is why have a home page that most of your customers don't use or go to, no very useful them.
What is the purpose of the home page? For many sites (including geocaching.com), it serves as an introduction for people unfamiliar with what the site is all about. From there, you can navigate to more specific content, depending on what you're looking for.

I have to admit you did good. Backing up your general request with something more specific. It's way better than those who post "I don't like such and such. please make it better." Personally I like the way it is now with one exception; I'd like to have a button to take me to the maps based on my home location so I don't have to view a cache then click view on map, but that's just me.

What is the purpose of the home page? For many sites (including geocaching.com), it serves as an introduction for people unfamiliar with what the site is all about. From there, you can navigate to more specific content, depending on what you're looking for.

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

United.com - I can look up flights and check in from the home page and that same page gives me more content if I log in

Amazon.com - I can search from that site without having to navigate to another page

Fandango.com - I can find a move by title, zip code all from the home page

When I log in to my banks website I get content for my accounts without having to go to another page

and on and on I could go where if you are logged into an account the home page looks different and provided additional features

Plus what is the main purpose to for to Geocaching.com... I can think of two; log a cache or look up a cache close to a location. This is if you are logged in or not. And guess what...you can't do that from the home page. What if flyfrontier.com had a big splashy page about the air line but to book a flight or check in you had to go to another page, I bit you would think that was kind of stupid. Well that is kind of my point here.

I have to admit you did good. Backing up your general request with something more specific. It's way better than those who post "I don't like such and such. please make it better." Personally I like the way it is now with one exception; I'd like to have a button to take me to the maps based on my home location so I don't have to view a cache then click view on map, but that's just me.

Log in first of course, then click on Your Profile -> Quick View scroll down a bit and on the right had side the is a button to map your home location.

or in mine you just have to click on the button in the middle right. (kind of where you would like it if you could place it. :ph34r::) )

FWIW, I see Amazon.com as an example of a non-personalized home page. When I log in, I get a "Your Account" menu that takes me to various personal features (wish list, recommendations, etc.). But otherwise the home page stays the same.

My credit union is the same way. Logging in gives me access to personal features (accounts, bill pay, etc.), but otherwise the home page stays the same.

Other examples include imdb.com and boardgamegeek.com, where personal features are on a separate page from the home page.

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

United.com - I can look up flights and check in from the home page and that same page gives me more content if I log in

Amazon.com - I can search from that site without having to navigate to another page

Fandango.com - I can find a move by title, zip code all from the home page

When I log in to my banks website I get content for my accounts without having to go to another page

and on and on I could go where if you are logged into an account the home page looks different and provided additional features

Plus what is the main purpose to for to Geocaching.com... I can think of two; log a cache or look up a cache close to a location. This is if you are logged in or not. And guess what...you can't do that from the home page. What if flyfrontier.com had a big splashy page about the air line but to book a flight or check in you had to go to another page, I bit you would think that was kind of stupid. Well that is kind of my point here.

That is because on all of these, when you log on, you are brought to your account page. These site's "Home" pages are still generic and designed to educate new customers and sell old and new customers new products.

An idea would be a profile setting so that when you log in, you are brought to your quickview, "my", page automatically. When I first looked at your image, the first question that came to mind is what is it going to display if a user isn't logged on? Just a bunch of empty lists.