Projecting a Waypoint

Cissy PSP

On the 62s, Press "Mark" to create a new waypoint, then "Menu" and scroll to "Project Waypoint". Enter bearing, select distance units (Miles, kilometers, etc.) then the number of units, then save. Find the new waypoint and navigate to it.

That is FINE when a given distance is mentioned, but any thoughts on an Unknown Cache "Cross Bearing #2", GC16VEB, in Darwin, NT, Australia, where you have to project an unknown distance, but a known angle from two (or more) geocaches?

You really don't need to do project a waypoint in many instances of "distance and bearing" instructions that you'll find in geocaching (and you don't need a compass either).

Say you're standing at your current "go to", found a container and in it are instructions that your next stage is 256 feet away at 15° N.

Leave the "go to" alone, and start start walking north, when you're 256 feet from you current "go to" at the reverse bearing back to the original "go to", which is

15°+180°= 195°, you're at the next stage. You spent no time fiddling with setting a new waypoint. If you find yet another set of bearing and distance instructions, take a waypoint for where you are now, and start over.

If distances are large, and there are multiple distance and bearing stages, then the errors will start adding up, and you'd better project...

Reverse Bearing:

add 180 degrees if the original bearing is between 0 and 180 degrees.

subtract 180 degrees if the original direction is bearing 180 and 360 degrees.

This is easy and obvious if you're looking at a compass face.

On the 62s, Press "Mark" to create a new waypoint, then "Menu" and scroll to "Project Waypoint". Enter bearing, select distance units (Miles, kilometers, etc.) then the number of units, then save. Find the new waypoint and navigate to it.

That is FINE when a given distance is mentioned, but any thoughts on an Unknown Cache "Cross Bearing #2", GC16VEB, in Darwin, NT, Australia, where you have to project an unknown distance, but a known angle from two (or more) geocaches?

I don't know that a GPS can simultaneously project two different bearing lines from two different origins and navigate to the point of intersection. I was just about to type up how I solved a very similar local puzzle, pretty simple really, before I realized I would be spoiling the cited puzzle, and that's a forum no-no. The best advice would be to contact the CO to see what hints they wish to provide.

Leave the "go to" alone, and start start walking north, when you're 256 feet from you current "go to" at the reverse bearing back to the original "go to", which is 15°+180°= 195°, you're at the next stage. You spent 9no time fiddling with setting a new waypoint.

Yeah, I always do this kind of "reverse projection". In addition to the "no fiddling" benefit, on my PN-60, if you're going to a waypoint, then you're no longer going to the cache, so the description isn't available unless you switch back to it (meaning you've switched away from the waypoint). By keeping the cache at the target and walking until it's so many feet away at a bearing of N+180°, I'm always looking at the cache description.

I find this sufficiently convenient that if there are multiple steps, I'll go to the first and the change the cache's coordinates to that spot in order to repeat the processes.