iPad and geocaching.com

Essap

I recently got an ipad. When I go to view larger map and get the map with nearby caches I cannot click on the cache icons. With windows on my laptop, desktop or even my droid phone I can click on a cache icon and see the cache name and other information. With the IPad I might get the information after I click on the icon 5 or 6 times. Is there a way around this problem or can I just not use that feature with my IPad?

I recently got an ipad. When I go to view larger map and get the map with nearby caches I cannot click on the cache icons. With windows on my laptop, desktop or even my droid phone I can click on a cache icon and see the cache name and other information. With the IPad I might get the information after I click on the icon 5 or 6 times. Is there a way around this problem or can I just not use that feature with my IPad?

I have this same problem on my laptop. It seems that I have to put my cursor just right over the icon and have the name of the cache show up before I can click on it. Very annoying. I have this issue with my desktop at work as well. Anybody else besides the two of us?

I have this same problem on my laptop. It seems that I have to put my cursor just right over the icon and have the name of the cache show up before I can click on it. Very annoying. I have this issue with my desktop at work as well. Anybody else besides the two of us?

Odd, I have a 1st gen ipad, and have no trouble at all. :huh:

I have the 4G ipad and the Geocaching app. I also have an Andoid phone with the Geocaching app. After upgrading the ipad to iOS 6 I am really happy with the new maps. The reason is it has much more detail than Google maps did in satellite view. I find I can zoom in twice as close on my ipad as I can on my Galaxy S2 using the same app but Google maps. I don't even activate the 4G. I save the caches ahead of time. The GPS on the ipad is very accurate and always on. Plus the battery life on the ipad is at least twice as long as on my phone. The one issue I have with the ipad Geocaching app is that is does not offer turn by turn directions to the cache like the Android app does. So I simply set the phone on the dashboard. let it direct me to the cache general area, then switch to the ipad and let it take me right to the cache. The ipad also has a terrific camera built in, so I take photos of each cache which go directly to my imac via icloud. Seems like a perfect system to me.

I'm having the same problem.

Now it is almost impossible to open any caches.

Do I have to install a different map app?

I'm having the same problem.

Now it is almost impossible to open any caches.

Do I have to install a different map app?

Wait, are you guys using the map on geocaching.com (via the browser) or the ipad app?

Edited by PseudoHybrid

Yes, I am using the google maps from the geocaching.com page. Is there another map that I can use? I may experiment with that tonight.

There's a handy geocaching app for the Ipad, I use it much more than the geocaching.com site while actively caching. It costs $9.99, but it's money very well spent IMO.

I am aware of the geocaching app. I don't need to use my iPad for actively caching, but I want to use it to look at caches and get information. I have the app for my droid, however I prefer the Cgeo app and end out using it more. The app does not do everything that the website can do. It would be nice to be able to use all the features of the website on the iPad.

I may end purchasing another laptop so that I can cache the way I want to. Then I can fully use the website, use GSAK and download the caches to my Garmin. These are all things that I can't do with my IPad. The only advantage for caching of the IPad that I see is that I can cache directly with the iPad. I don't see myself doing this as I already have the Garmin and the droid that I can take in the field and I am quite happy with. I really miss only being able to manipulate my GSAK data on my laptop. Now I have to use my desktop for GSAK and downloading to my Garmin.. Also, I miss being able to take my laptop with me on a trip with GSAK loaded so that I can transfer caches to my Garmin from the laptop, if necessary.

I am aware of the geocaching app. I don't need to use my iPad for actively caching, but I want to use it to look at caches and get information. I have the app for my droid, however I prefer the Cgeo app and end out using it more. The app does not do everything that the website can do. It would be nice to be able to use all the features of the website on the iPad.

I may end purchasing another laptop so that I can cache the way I want to. Then I can fully use the website, use GSAK and download the caches to my Garmin. These are all things that I can't do with my IPad. The only advantage for caching of the IPad that I see is that I can cache directly with the iPad. I don't see myself doing this as I already have the Garmin and the droid that I can take in the field and I am quite happy with. I really miss only being able to manipulate my GSAK data on my laptop. Now I have to use my desktop for GSAK and downloading to my Garmin.. Also, I miss being able to take my laptop with me on a trip with GSAK loaded so that I can transfer caches to my Garmin from the laptop, if necessary.

Sounds like a plan. I still have no idea why you're having trouble with geocaching.com - maybe there's some difference between my first generation ipad and yours - mine works every time. Oh well, best of luck.

Yup sometimes it works other time I just look stupit in the woods trying to get it to work

Yup sometimes it works other time I just look stupit in the woods trying to get it to work