"Lock down" coins?

The-Driver

I've seen two ways this was achieved.

1) A booklet with high quality full sized photos of about a dozen coins. Unlike Proxies these aren't to be moved only discovered. Or,

2) Weld the coins to the inside lid of an ammo can. You'll be destroying the coins but they won't go anywhere without the ammo can which was then chained to a tree. I suppose epoxy could work too or liquid nails which could eventually be chipped off and take a fair amount of the coins' enamel/pain with it. Either way it's an ambitious and worthy effort.

1) A booklet with high quality full sized photos of about a dozen coins. Unlike Proxies these aren't to be moved only discovered. Or,

2) Weld the coins to the inside lid of an ammo can. You'll be destroying the coins but they won't go anywhere without the ammo can which was then chained to a tree. I suppose epoxy could work too or liquid nails which could eventually be chipped off and take a fair amount of the coins' enamel/pain with it. Either way it's an ambitious and worthy effort.

That isn't the issue. I have the codes written on the inside of the cache container. The coins are at my house. But - when people go to log them - they keep selecting "retrieved from" rather than "discovered" so i have to go through, delete the log, tell them to discover only...

That isn't the issue. I have the codes written on the inside of the cache container. The coins are at my house. But - when people go to log them - they keep selecting "retrieved from" rather than "discovered" so i have to go through, delete the log, tell them to discover only...

That would be a good feature request on GC. A discover only mode B)

In the setting for the coin/TB, you have the option of marking it as collectable. (posted by The Blorenges in another topic)

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

The Collectible option is used for trackables that you intend to keep with you at all times, e.g. any personal TB you use for tracking your own geocaching mileage, or any geocoins you own and want to keep in your personal collection. Such items, when moved to your Collection, can only be 'Discovered' by other geocachers.

If you want your trackable to travel in/out of caches it needs to be "Not Collectible".

MrsB :)

Also when you go to the trackable page, on the top left is a number. That number can be used reference a trackable, but NOT pick it up. Possibly using that number will allow others to discover it. Maybe someone more experienced can confirm?

In the setting for the coin/TB, you have the option of marking it as collectable. (posted by The Blorenges in another topic)

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

The Collectible option is used for trackables that you intend to keep with you at all times, e.g. any personal TB you use for tracking your own geocaching mileage, or any geocoins you own and want to keep in your personal collection. Such items, when moved to your Collection, can only be 'Discovered' by other geocachers.

If you want your trackable to travel in/out of caches it needs to be "Not Collectible".

MrsB :)

Also when you go to the trackable page, on the top left is a number. That number can be used reference a trackable, but NOT pick it up. Possibly using that number will allow others to discover it. Maybe someone more experienced can confirm?

WORKED!!! Thank you!! This is going to save me a ton of time. I appreciate it! :)

But he's doing it for discoveries, not letting people "pick up" the trackable(or at least not wanting them to). I don't see how that's any different from me having the same TB number on a geocaching shirt, and my car, even though the TB is not physically on either of those. Assuming that the OP's trackables are for personal mileage. Now if they are in a TB race or they are actually out in the caching world then I imagine it would be frowned upon.

I'm doing it as a bonus for those catchers who enjoy discovering travel bugs and coins. I guess kind of like a bonus for finding the cache. That's all! They are all in my personal collection and aren't in any race. They're puzzles so they don't get too much traffic around here. Thanks for the help on keeping them in my collection. Appreciate it!

Sorry, but virtual logging is considered an abuse of the geocaching.com website. Virtual logging includes discoveries, as well. Logging a trackable with a number you got any way other than actually seeing the trackable item is a virtual log. You cannot move, find, discover or see something you did not see, touch, smell, or feel, in person. By passing out your trackables' numbers and then allowing virtual logs on them (from cachers who didn't actually see the trackable) risks getting your trackable "locked."

Ah. I thought that arm chair logging of trackables was frowned on? And could get them locked? If you see the trackable, it is okay. But if someone gives you the number (which is what OP is suggesting) that was frowned upon?

We have a local cacher who does a similar thing, and I think it works well. However, instead of just a number, they have a photocopy of the coin taped to the lid. This lets you see what kind of coin it is, but more importantly, it makes it a proxy, which is an acceptable substitute according to Groundspeak. (so long as you don't put the same coin's number in more than one cache!)

I would suggest that instead of just the code(s), you paste a picture of the item(s) into your geocache - that way, it would be a "proxy", and thus completely within the rules

but see here -

forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=300928

post number seven, in particular

it would appear that Groundspeak may have relaxed the rules, and that it is now up to the trackable owner to decide what is allowed and what is not

But.... but.... but....

Displaying the tracking number ANYWHERE allows for virtual logging -- "Discovery" logs included.

What the OP describes is little different than creating a list of your trackable numbers and sending it out for "Discovery" logs, or even posting a photo with the number visible on some other site as Facebook. It is an invitation to virtually log the discovery.

I believe the intent of the "Discovery" log was to show the item (TB or GC) was present, not the number!

We have come across caches that have the trackable itself FIXED into the cache and not removable, intending to be discovered only.

Fine line, but at least it IS present.

The Geocaching reviewer for my state sent me this.

~Quote~

"At this time virtual logging of travel bugs and geocoins is allowed so long as the object owner is OK with it. I learned this from TPTB at Groundspeak during the block party weekend in Seattle.

The owner of a TB or geocoin may delete virtual logs if they don't want to allow it. But be consistent - don't treat logs from someone you don't like differently than logs from others."

~End Quote~

However at the very bottom of this page…

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=94185

~Quote~

"If you log a bogus virtual log on a TB, or offer your own TB up for virtual logging you will risk having that TB page locked forever. This means, if you never saw a bug, but got the bug number and you log it, that bug is in risk of being taken out of the game."

~End Quote~

*In my opinion*

With so many people virtually posting and logging trackables I do not think Groundspeak has the time to go after them all so they just let it slide. At least for now.

Bottom line, if you want to take the risk, it is yours to take.