Creating a cache with picture criteria

A Mars Reject

I was thinking of placing a cache along a quite frequently dirty local path, with the intention being that in order to log the cache properly, people should pick up a piece of litter on the way to it, take a pic of the litter with the cache marker in the background and attach it to the log, get people into the CITO spirit. I was thinking of making it a virtual, but that's not possible, so are there any things I should take into account for a cache such as this? Should it still have a regular logbook at the location? Am I within my rights to remove logs that don't include a pic, or is there some way of marking them as incomplete (i.e. setting them to DNF until a pic is added)? Any tips or suggestions would gratefully received!

I was thinking of placing a cache along a quite frequently dirty local path, with the intention being that in order to log the cache properly, people should pick up a piece of litter on the way to it, take a pic of the litter with the cache marker in the background and attach it to the log, get people into the CITO spirit. I was thinking of making it a virtual, but that's not possible, so are there any things I should take into account for a cache such as this? Should it still have a regular logbook at the location? Am I within my rights to remove logs that don't include a pic, or is there some way of marking them as incomplete (i.e. setting them to DNF until a pic is added)? Any tips or suggestions would gratefully received!

I would suggest that you thoroughly read the Guidelines at least twice:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11

Once you've done that, you will realize that a cache submitted as you've written here won't be published, and your question about a logbook will be answered.

I see that you have already placed caches. Did you read the Guidelines at any point in time before placing those?

Perhaps what you really want to do is to host a CITO event.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=7

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Once you've done that, you will realize that a cache submitted as you've written here won't be published, and your question about a logbook will be answered.

I see that you have already placed caches. Did you read the Guidelines at any point in time before placing those?

B.

Yes, I've read the guidelines when placing my other caches, and going over it again, fair enough about the logbook, that's not a problem. I don't see anything else that forbids a cache with a request for pics in the logs, is it to do with the pic being a requirement? I've been to several that ask for pics, though not necessarily as requirements. Or is it considered some kind of soliciting?

Maybe it would be better to list it as a challenge instead?

B.

Yes, I've read the guidelines when placing my other caches, and going over it again, fair enough about the logbook, that's not a problem. I don't see anything else that forbids a cache with a request for pics in the logs, is it to do with the pic being a requirement? I've been to several that ask for pics, though not necessarily as requirements. Or is it considered some kind of soliciting?

As written in your opening post, you can't "require" anything of finders beyond finding the cache and signing the logbook.

Check the Guidelines again, and see what they say about "additional logging requirements" for regular caches:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=309

Maybe it would be better to list it as a challenge instead?

I have no idea how Geocaching Challenges work, so I can't comment.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=329

As I suggested, another option is to organize a CITO event.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

So the bottom line is that you can't, and shouldn't, make it a requirement. So don't try. Have a nice cache with normal sign/found rules, then put your extra activity on top of that, challenging them to CITO without requiring that they CITO or prove that they've CITOed. I don't say this because it's the rule (although apparently it is), but because it's just not friendly: having a find rejected because it wasn't done good enough is not fun.

And I want to stress that it sounds like a great idea, so I'd hate to see you abandon the plan just because of the technicality that you cannot require them to comply. I've done a few caches with some kind of side challenge of this type, and, while admittedly a lot of people ignore them, I think they're fun and always try to do what's asked of me.

The cache should stand alone and not have any additional logging requirements. But you certainly could hide a cache, create a challenge to pick up trash in the same area, and link them to each other. Picking up trash was the first worldwide geocaching challenge, so creating a local geocaching challenge to do the same thing should be no problem.

Agreed all round, policing the logs would be somewhat militant, don't really know why I even considered it! I may just set it up as a basic cache with a suggestion/challenge to all comers to take at least one piece of trash away with them, make it the theme rather than a demand, and maybe do a pic-related challenge to compliment it as suggested. Thanks everyone!

Agreed all round, policing the logs would be somewhat militant, don't really know why I even considered it! I may just set it up as a basic cache with a suggestion/challenge to all comers to take at least one piece of trash away with them, make it the theme rather than a demand, and maybe do a pic-related challenge to compliment it as suggested. Thanks everyone!

If your container is big enough, you could provide bags (at least, if I were putting a cache out for the purpose/intent/theme to cito the area, that's what I'd do. lol). :)

If your container is big enough, you could provide bags (at least, if I were putting a cache out for the purpose/intent/theme to cito the area, that's what I'd do. lol). :)

I believe you could make it a challenge cache where you require someone to attend a number of CITO events. It is suggested in the challenge cache guidelines that you have completed the challenge yourself, so go attend 10 CITO events and create a 10 CITO challenge cache. :)