First timer needs help

riss6270

Hello. A friend that I work with had been talking about geocaching. It sounded really fun so I would like to give it a try. So I talked my wife into going with me. I have no idea what to do so I am reaching out for help. Im looking for an easy first time geocach. Im not to far from thurmont of sugarloaf or gap land. I just don't have a clue where to start or what gear I am going to need. I'd like to go to the mountains and try to fine one. Any help would be great. Thanks.

At what stage do you need help?

Do you have a GPS or smart phone?

You've obviously logged on here.... Have you searched the site for caches closest to you? Get yourself familiar with the website and how to search for caches. Look at the caches (online) and read descriptions, hints, previous logs.... They will help you when trying to find the container.

Relax.... Don't rush it. Start with easy difficulty & Terrain caches. Like 1/1 and 1.5/1.5

Hello. A friend that I work with had been talking about geocaching. It sounded really fun so I would like to give it a try. So I talked my wife into going with me. I have no idea what to do so I am reaching out for help. Im looking for an easy first time geocach. Im not to far from thurmont of sugarloaf or gap land. I just don't have a clue where to start or what gear I am going to need. I'd like to go to the mountains and try to fine one. Any help would be great. Thanks.

When you go to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/ there are tabs along the top:

Learn, Your Profile, Play, etc

Hover your mouse over each tab title and a dropdown menu will appear.

Under "Learn", there are links to "Geocaching 101" and "Geocaching in 2 minutes". Check those out.

Also, there's absolutely tons of information in the Help Center:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

The Geocaching section in the Help Center:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=1

B.

Im not to far from thurmont of sugarloaf or gap land. I just don't have a clue where to start or what gear I am going to need. I'd like to go to the mountains and try to fine one. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Apparently you are located in the center of Maryland ~ Huge number of great caches in that area.

You should check The Maryland Geocaching Society Forum , where you will find many friendly & helpful cachers.