Commercial Geocoins

chris&Annie

Are there restrictions on making a commercial geocoins? I know that Jeep released thousands and thousands of TB's a number of years ago. As an avid geocacher and a employee of a national know outdoor recreation company I would love to see a series of geocoins come out with our logo on them. Are there any other companies that have geocoins? What have you guys and gals see?

I know of at least three different company coins, if you'd like to call them that.

One controversial was given out at a Mega Event in Germany, a Garmin Travel Tag.

Than there is one of Dierke Publishing, they publish 'the' school atlas, which probably a majority of German pupils will know. TB2PWBM, sorry, no picture...

Another one I gave once a start at it's travels: TB2F91R, again a commercial coin, advertising for services.

So I guess, if you'd like to produce a coin of your company, it's just a matter of contacting Groundspeak with the designs.

Four years ago there was a big release of commercial geocoins in the UK, part of a collaboration between Groundspeak, Garmin and the UK outdoor supplies stores Milletts and Blacks. It was very popular among cachers as you could just go along to the stores and ask for one of the coins - logging the coin allowed you to enter the competition draw. I don't know whether it was a cost effective way of advertising for the commercial concerns involved, but it was good fun at the time.

FYI: Discover Hidden Britain.

MrsB