Missed caches on a router PQ

Tre-da

I ran a PQ for a route of 60 miles and limited the results to 480 caches that were enabled and that I had not found or did not own. All other settings were left as default. I found that at least 2 caches that were very close to the route and near others had been omitted. There with other caches nearby that were further from the route that were included as well as others from the same series within half a mile. I can understand it dropping caches further from the route but not those very close. I have checked again on return and it is still leaving them out. Sorry if this has been covered before or is in the wrong place but I couldn't find it in the forum.

I ran a PQ for a route of 60 miles and limited the results to 480 caches that were enabled and that I had not found or did not own. All other settings were left as default. I found that at least 2 caches that were very close to the route and near others had been omitted. There with other caches nearby that were further from the route that were included as well as others from the same series within half a mile. I can understand it dropping caches further from the route but not those very close. I have checked again on return and it is still leaving them out. Sorry if this has been covered before or is in the wrong place but I couldn't find it in the forum.

You say you limited the results to 480 caches--how many did the PQ actually return? Could it be that some were omitted because it had reached the 480 limit?

I encountered a similar problem when I set up a route to capture a series along a country road. What I learned is that the route does not exactly follow the road but is a series of straight lines that approximate the road. When the road curved out and back in an arc, the straight line would connect the endpoints of the arc and miss the cache that was at the middle of the arc. In my case I had set the distance from the route to a small value, perhaps a quarter mile. I had to increase the value quite a bit to be sure to capture all the caches on the extreme curves.

Thanks for all the comments. The caches that I "lost" were very close to the route with others nearby further from the route, even allowing for the straight line route used. I tried it again with the distance from the route reduced and one reappeared and then reduced it again and another reappeared. There are no political boundaries nearby that would be relevant. The caches I were checking on are relatively new. (2 months old). It seems that the safest way is to not limit caches by number but to reduce the track width until you get the required number.

It seems that the safest way is to not limit caches by number but to reduce the track width until you get the required number.
Yep. Given Markwell's observation that caches-along-a-route PQs return the oldest caches in the area first (plus EarthCaches), if you want the newer caches in your PQ, then you should avoid restrictions on the number of caches in the PQ.