Found it log disappeared from cache page

Ajax One

I have noticed that one of my web page logged cache finds from about a year ago has suddenly disappeared.

My "Found Count has also dropped by one". The log entry was there for 10 or 11 months (don't know for sure as can't remember the exact date of the find) and then ppffooff one day about a week ago it was gone. The happyface is also gone from the map view. Could I have accidentally deleted it by being a fumble finger and hitting a button my mistake? I have been looking at the cache web page often as it is a unique and interesting cache and I like to read other peoples comments even though the cache does not belong to me... . :) . ... I suppose I could go back to the cache and check the date on the paper log entry, and re-log the find with the past date, but on this cache the paper log is very difficult and time consuming to find even when you are holding the cache container in your hands!

Could the cache owner have deleted it for some reason? If so, I cannot guess why. Anybody have any sugestions?

I have noticed that one of my web page logged cache finds from about a year ago has suddenly disappeared.

My "Found Count has also dropped by one". The log entry was there for 10 or 11 months (don't know for sure as can't remember the exact date of the find) and then ppffooff one day about a week ago it was gone. The happyface is also gone from the map view. Could I have accidentally deleted it by being a fumble finger and hitting a button my mistake? I have been looking at the cache web page often as it is a unique and interesting cache and I like to read other peoples comments even though the cache does not belong to me... . :) . ... I suppose I could go back to the cache and check the date on the paper log entry, and re-log the find with the past date, but on this cache the paper log is very difficult and time consuming to find even when you are holding the cache container in your hands!

Could the cache owner have deleted it for some reason? If so, I cannot guess why. Anybody have any sugestions?

Groundspeak can restore a deleted log (the entire log gets archived).

Do you save all your email? If so, you might find enough info to restore the log yourself.

Do you add lots of pictures to your logs? If you click "delete" while a picture's in view, you delete the whole shebang. I've deleted a couple of my logs that way, when I intended to delete a picture only.

Ok thank you for the information,

No I don't save all of the emails. and I didn't receive any emails from the CO. And nothing is in my spam or junk email folders. I was adding and deleting some pictures lately. But all those were on other cache pages and not the one in question. I have emailed the CO and hopefully he/she might have an explanation as to what might have happened. He/she might even have the log in hand for that period of time. I am waiting to hear back from CO.

How do I contact Groundspeak to restore a deleted or archived log?

Ajax One

No I don't save all of the emails. and I didn't receive any emails from the CO. And nothing is in my spam or junk email folders. I was adding and deleting some pictures lately. But all those were on other cache pages and not the one in question. I have emailed the CO and hopefully he/she might have an explanation as to what might have happened. He/she might even have the log in hand for that period of time. I am waiting to hear back from CO.

Ajax One

contact@geocaching.com

First give the CO time to assist. There's some great info here:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204

If you had a photo that revealed too much about the cache, the Cache Owner might have tried to delete it, yet deleted the entire log. Then you should have gotten an email. Do you get the ordinary Geocaching emails when you type a log?

Edited by kunarion

Ok I will wait to hear from CO.

I didn't post any photos about the cache, I didn't even take any photos at the site. Got no emails regarding same.

I don't get any ordinary Geocaching emails when I type a log for my find of someone elses cache.

I do get emails when someone else types a log for one of my own caches.

Thank You kunarion

I don't want to give out any clues to the nature and process of finding and logging the on site paper log.

See my forum entry of 24 September 2012 - 04:43 PM. The CO has made the cache name and even the clue given

to be very puzzling. What I said on 24 September 2012 could possibly be a spoiler for other geocachers if I gave out the cache name. Still have not heard from the CO. I am waiting on a reply from an email that I sent to Groundspeak.

Ajax One