Contact a cache owner

Lobbi

I have tried to get a cache listed. It is a few minutes from our holiday home (150 miles from home). The reviewer isn't happy that I can look after it even though we go there most weeks.

There is a cache nearby and I wondered how to make contact with that member to see if she would either adopt or look after it in our absence.

The cache in question is 'bongblodboo' and it is by Raquel Hullero.

I have tried a member search to no avail.

Any ideas or suggestions very much appreciated

Lobbi

You have only found 8 caches and hid none yet. The problem is not just that it's far from home, but that you are a new member, and there is already a lot of issues with new members placing caches and giving up on geocaching after a month or 2, leaving their caches-near home-to fall into disrepair and need archiving in 2 months or so. Not saying that will or won't be what happens to you. I would suggest finding more caches and hiding some close to home and keep up on maintenance for 3 or 4 months before you place a cache away from home-even if you are there every week. I personally don't think it would be fair to ask another cache-especially someone you don't know-to place a cache and maintain it for you.

You have only found 8 caches and hid none yet. The problem is not just that it's far from home, but that you are a new member, and there is already a lot of issues with new members placing caches and giving up on geocaching after a month or 2, leaving their caches-near home-to fall into disrepair and need archiving in 2 months or so. Not saying that will or won't be what happens to you. I would suggest finding more caches and hiding some close to home and keep up on maintenance for 3 or 4 months before you place a cache away from home-even if you are there every week. I personally don't think it would be fair to ask another cache-especially someone you don't know-to place a cache and maintain it for you.

The OP explained exactly what the reviewer had a problem with, and it has nothing to do with the newness of the hider.

There is nothing in the Guidelines regarding how many finds one has, so I'm not sure why you are bringing this up. It may be your personal opinion, but plenty of new hides have been published by new cachers.

Please don't confuse people by stating your personal opinion and trying to disguise it as a Guidelines issue.

What would help the OP a lot would be to have a caching history in the region of the proposed cache hide. This would be a way to prove that you spend a lot of time in the area.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307

2. Owner is responsible for visits to the physical location. You are responsible for occasional visits to your cache to ensure it is in proper working order, especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.), or posts a Needs Maintenance log. Temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to search for it until you have addressed the problem. You are permitted a reasonable amount of time – generally up to 4 weeks – in which to check on your cache. If a cache is not being maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an unreasonable length of time, we may archive the listing.

The region in which a cacher is considered able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from person to person. A cacher who has previously logged caches within a wide range of their home may be considered able to maintain a geocache 200 miles (322 km) away. However, someone whose geocaching activities have primarily been within 25 miles (40 km) of home may not be able to maintain a geocache this far from home. This factor is determined at the discretion of the cache reviewer or Groundspeak.

3. Because of the effort required to maintain a geocache, please place physical caches in your usual caching area and not while traveling. Caches placed during travel will likely not be published unless you are able to provide an acceptable maintenance plan. This plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems, and might include the username of a local cacher who will handle maintenance issues in your absence. Alternatively you might train a local person to maintain the cache. Document your maintenance plan in a Note to Reviewer on your cache listing. This should include contact information of the maintainer. The note will auto-delete on publication.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol