coordinates

massagegirl83

I use an iphone 4s to geocach. Normally when I am doing a puzzle cach or a multi cach and I knew the coordinates, I would go to my maps app and put in the coordinates. It would tell me where I am and where the coordinates are. Now however iphone has a new map app. I put in the coordinates and it said they were in a completely differant continant. I checked and I typed it in correctly. I went to googlemaps.com and typed it in and it showed me where it was. But it wouldn't show me where I was, just where the next waypoint was. Very frustrating. Anyway, I was wondering what everyone else does.

I use an iphone 4s to geocach. Normally when I am doing a puzzle cach or a multi cach and I knew the coordinates, I would go to my maps app and put in the coordinates. It would tell me where I am and where the coordinates are.

Just so you know, you can do this from within the app. When you're navigating to a cache in map view, tap the flag icon to be given the option to enter custom coordinates.

Now however iphone has a new map app. I put in the coordinates and it said they were in a completely differant continant. I checked and I typed it in correctly. I went to googlemaps.com and typed it in and it showed me where it was.

I just tried it myself, and I didn't get very nice results. I attempted a variety of coordinate formats, and the only one I could get to work (ie. not giving a "No results found" message) was of the form "48.12345 -123.67890" or "48.12345, -123.67890". No format with minutes or seconds was recognized, nor with N/S or W/E. The new maps have only been out for a few days, so I haven't been able to find anyone else online that has posted their results or other acceptable formats, but that's what I see.

Note that every set of coordinates I tried and got accepted was plotted in the correct spot. Is it possible that you've missed a "-" and it's interpreting your coordinates as being "east" rather than "west"?