Any advice on how to motivate my partner to geocache with me?

Vanilija

This is definitely off-topic, but I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar situation as I do and if he/she managed to fix it.?

I love geocaching, but my boyfriend sadly doesn't share my enthusiasm. Although he likes to hike and so on, he doesn't like actually having to SEARCH for the containers. He thinks it's boring and a waste of time, which saddens me so much. Occasionally he geocaches with me, to keep me company, but he gets kind of weird if I for example want to CONTINUE geocaching after just finding one container that day. His usual response is: "I didn't come here to geocache, let's just take a walk." :( In his view, finding one every 2 weeks or more is already more than enough.

He obviously hasn't found a cache on his own either - he would never do it alone. He only goes geocaching for my sake and I appreciate it, but still, I would love to find a way -if there is one- to get him more motivated for this wonderful game. Just so he could also enjoy it as much as I do. Does anyone else experience this? How did you fix it (if at all)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is actually very much ON topic, and will likely be moved into those forums, so don't start another thread there.

This topic has actually come up in the main forums a number of times if you want to do a search there and see what answers were given at the time.

I usually say, take them to places they want to go, but that only works if they are willing to let you pursue your hobby.

Since he is not, you could try trading him time with his hobby, for example, if he likes watching ball games on TV, and you don't, you could join him in that for exchange for geocaching time.

When you do go out caching with him, put the GPS in his hands.

That seems like a really big thing with getting people interested in the game. Watching is not much fun, but with the GPS in one's hand it changes.

I generally get within one or two hundred feet of the cache and then hand my GPS to a newbie who doesn't have much interest. If you give it to him too early then he'll lose interest and you'll miss the cache. Maybe at about 150 feet hand him the GPS and say you'd love it if he lead you to this one. Hopefully he goes for it.

I've known people who don't have much interest become addicts that way.

Also, take him to some caches that may spark his interest. Does he like history? Try history caches in your area.

You said he likes hiking, are there any good adventure caches in your area? Perhaps ask around on your local forums for the best hiking caches in your area.

Run a pocket query for your area on the caches with the most favorite points. People really put out some amazing stuff. Take him to the best in your area. That might help raise some interest.

But for some, it's just not their thing.

Another idea is to get a female geocaching partner. Leave him at home to his ball games, or whatever it is he likes to do. I've always believed healthy couples spend some time apart pursuing their own interests and friends. It makes the time they spend together more valuable among other things. In time he may try it again, wanting to know what is making you so happy.

Geocaching is like any other hobby. Someone gets it or they don't. Trying to interest him in geocaching now that he's told you he doesn't 'get it' is not likely to succeed. I tell people about caching and teach geocaching classes with some regularity, will be doing it again next week, and you can usually see the interest - or lack thereof, in about five minutes or less.

Committing to a relationship does not mean that you give up what you enjoy. You can and should have both.

Hike with him when you want to, and find some fellow geocachers to cache with or go on your own when you want to. Let him go hiking, you go to a geocaching event.

I understand 'inseparable', but in any healthy relationship that doesn't mean 'imprisoned'. If he's a control freak who wants to manage you...RUN!

I regularly cache with women whose husbands do not cache. Those are the couples who make it work.

I've been caching for nine years now, and found thousands of caches in 28 states. My wife doesn't cache. Thinks it's dumb. She does her thing, I do mine, we're both happy. We're very different people who chose to learn how to coexist.

We've just entered our 39th year of marriage. We raised five great kids together. We learned to give and take such that we both get what we need. It works for us. :)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

This is definitely off-topic, but I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar situation as I do and if he/she managed to fix it.?

I love geocaching, but my boyfriend sadly doesn't share my enthusiasm. Although he likes to hike and so on, he doesn't like actually having to SEARCH for the containers. He thinks it's boring and a waste of time, which saddens me so much. Occasionally he geocaches with me, to keep me company, but he gets kind of weird if I for example want to CONTINUE geocaching after just finding one container that day. His usual response is: "I didn't come here to geocache, let's just take a walk." :( In his view, finding one every 2 weeks or more is already more than enough.

He obviously hasn't found a cache on his own either - he would never do it alone. He only goes geocaching for my sake and I appreciate it, but still, I would love to find a way -if there is one- to get him more motivated for this wonderful game. Just so he could also enjoy it as much as I do. Does anyone else experience this? How did you fix it (if at all)?

Sorry but from what I've seen people either are interested in geocaching or they are not. I've never seen anyone get "converted" after they have learned enough about the sport to form an opinion.

People have differing tastes in food, music, art, sport and on and on. Trying to "change" your boyfriend is not likely to turn out any better than an attempt to change any of his other interests.

(I see that some of the other OT'ers have chimed in while I was composing this.)

[Text removed by moderator]

I have the same problem, my GF thinks it a big waste of time. Can't even get her to appreciate the ingenuity of hte well cammo'd urban hides that people walk and drive past thousands of times a day and don't realize it shouldn't be there. I actually got her to go out to one cache with me and I was going to give up-could find it. She keep say looks here, look there what about this. i can't force her to like it or to even do it again but at least she went. And she says if I'm going to do it to do it right and not give up. All you can really do is get him to do it once and if he won't cache then at least you tried. and he can't complain that you never ask him.

Edited by Keystone
removed text that wasn't family-friendly

All the time. If he's going with me. I plan a hike, or paddle, that he will enjoy. If I'm going to do some serious caching that involves multiple stops, I leave him home. He hates long car rides, I live for them. If he's going to complain (more than usual) please don't come with me, you're ruining my good time. My curmudgeon is more curmudgeonly than most curmudgeons. One good thing about him is I can leave him for weeks at a time and he can take care of himself. As a matter of fact, right now, I am waiting to board a plane, and he is home, holding down the fort. See ya Saturday.

Any relationship is based on 'give and take'. Not "I take. You give." If it interests you as much as it does, your partner should realize this, and be willing to sit on the log for a half hour while you search. You are taking him on hikes to interesting places, not? That's at least something in common. But "Okay. This is something you enjoy, I'll have to deal with it" should also come into play. Compromise is important in any relationship. This is something that you will need to work out.

Any relationship is based on 'give and take'. Not "I take. You give." If it interests you as much as it does, your partner should realize this, and be willing to sit on the log for a half hour while you search. You are taking him on hikes to interesting places, not? That's at least something in common. But "Okay. This is something you enjoy, I'll have to deal with it" should also come into play. Compromise is important in any relationship. This is something that you will need to work out.

I wish. Mostly it's "These are your responsibilities - work, family, friends, life." Compromise is on my wishlist.

Nonsense! Life is too short to sit on a log while your partner does something you do not like. Compromise means finding things you both like. It also means doing some things that are only important to one member of a couple separately.

Nonsense! Life is too short to sit on a log while your partner does something you do not like. C means finding things you both like. It also means doing some things that are only important to one member of a couple separately.

Horse crap. Compromise is dealing with life while finding a way to geocache. I've dealt with a lot of things that compromise wasn't even a consideration.

Nonsense! Life is too short to sit on a log while your partner does something you do not like. C means finding things you both like. It also means doing some things that are only important to one member of a couple separately.

Horse crap. Compromise is dealing with life while finding a way to geocache. I've dealt with a lot of things that compromise wasn't even a consideration.

You seem to be confusing other issues with the demands of a relationship (the point of the OP)

You seem to be confusing other issues with the demands of a relationship (the point of the OP)

A relationship with demands ain't much of one...

Been caching some nine years, been married seventeen. She doesn't want to participate? Fine by me.

She goes shopping for purses. I don't hear any call for compromise for that. Why would I?

My point exactly! If we are out shopping (very rarely, but it does happen) and she goes into the ladies shoe department I'm headed for the tool department. I think we are in agreement, maybe I miscommunicated?

Try giving him the GPS. If he's the kind of guy that likes 'toys' he may enjoy being the navigator. Or try taking another couple with you. Maybe the men can enjoy a chat while the women search?

Mr Incredible has been mostly luke-warm about the whole geocaching thing, but being the wonderful partner he is, he has been willing to go along. He does enjoy certain aspects. He likes long drives and exploring new places so I try to choose places that he would like to go. I also try not to push it. As much as I'd like to find 20 everytime we go out, I feel if we've gotten 3 easy ones, that's good enough.

Other than that, if he really hates it, just let it go. Go hiking with him and geocaching alone or with friends. Not every couple has to do everything together. If he's resistant to trying alot of things you like, maybe time to find someone a bit more open. :)

Been caching some nine years, been married seventeen. She doesn't want to participate? Fine by me.

She goes shopping for purses. I don't hear any call for compromise for that. Why would I?

My point exactly! If we are out shopping (very rarely, but it does happen) and she goes into the ladies shoe department I'm headed for the tool department. I think we are in agreement, maybe I miscommunicated?

I now I'm going to sound like I'm lying but I realized my poor choice of example. Too sexist.

She goes Kayaking. I don't hear any call for compromise for that. Why would I?

You didn't explain the relationship completely. Is this a dating thing or a living-together thing?

Don't try to force someone to do stuff they don't want to do. Find a way to do the geocaching the way you want to do, and leave him out out of it. Go hiking with him, and forget the geocaching for that time.

And read this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=301207

B.

wow I didn't expect so many helpful replies :) You've given me some really good ideas to try out. Especially the thing with giving him the GPS and let him lead might spark some interest in him. I haven't done that yet and now thinking about it from his perspective - indeed it must be quite boring to just follow someone on a hunt and never lead.

Also, so far I haven't chosen the geocaches according to their type or the number of favorite points. When we went to visit a certain area, I just tried to get the most as possible and those that were closer to our location. I'll do a bit more research next time before going hunting again. He's into history and geography so if I find some multies involving that, it just might make a change.

And yes, I also badly need to find other fellow geocachers in my area. Hopefully I can solve this issue when a new geocaching event pops up.

Thank you for the multitude of answers. I appreciate your input a lot :) and I'm glad I asked. Knowing I'm not alone in this situation and hearing how others cope with it has given me more hope.

Best regards,

Vanja

wow I didn't expect so many helpful replies :) You've given me some really good ideas to try out. Especially the thing with giving him the GPS and let him lead might spark some interest in him. I haven't done that yet and now thinking about it from his perspective - indeed it must be quite boring to just follow someone on a hunt and never lead.

Actually, this works very well with me and my caching companion. When we get close, I hand over the GPS.

Actually, this works very well with me and my caching companion. When we get close, I hand over the GPS.

The same with me and Mr F. He prefers it if I do any planning needed to get us there, work out where to park, which trails to take and so on. He likes to see and point out the history in the landscape around us, such as what caused ditches and mounds, what broken down walls and remains of old industry once were. We have to stop to look at interesting cliff faces and mounds of bricks and tangled of old machinery. Then when we get to looking he has to know where the GPS is homing in on, whereas I like to stand back. So he takes the GPS and searches while I check where we go next on a map or my phone, then join in looking where he missed. I'll want to stop to look at interesting flora and fauna and good views of uninterrupted greenery, and he carries on walking oblivious. It's fine if it is just the two of us, but add anyone else and a short walk just takes ages. (Our kids have learnt not to ask 'what have you stopped for', and demand to have a GPS to hold and make their own way to the next cache, which works well too.)

Remember caching involves Hiding caches as well as finding. Maybe he would be more interested in the hiding part. Challenge him to hide one better than any that you have already found. Have him try and hide a 5* difficulty cache using a regular size container (not some micro). If he can do that, then he would probably enjoy reading all the DNF logs as well as the finally found it logs.

He hides them and you find them, sounds like a good compromise.

John

Also, so far I haven't chosen the geocaches according to their type or the number of favorite points. When we went to visit a certain area, I just tried to get the most as possible and those that were closer to our location. I'll do a bit more research next time before going hunting again. He's into history and geography so if I find some multies involving that, it just might make a change.

Looked on your stats and there's a lot of cache 'n dash micros.

I'd be bored after awhile too.

Maybe some real hikes in varied terrain (and away from town) will get him interested. Ask him to climb that tree ("it's that camo'd thing right there") for you (see you found one). Let him take charge a bit.

Earth caches may prove to be a hit too (see you found one of those too). What did he think of it?

Any old virtuals (with the ghost icon) at historic areas may be ideal - He gets a history lesson and you get the smiley for info obtained, with no searching for "boring, waste-of-time" containers.

In time things could improve too. When my hubby was my boyfriend he wasn't too keen on caching. In time he's matured and willing to be patient to wait for me while I hunt, or even help out at times. Mostly he'll drive with me (usually in the country) while I do the hunting. In the last few weeks we've done some canoe caching, and on vacation we'll take out his 4x4 and explore areas where I get to cache. Basically we've been able to combine things he enjoys with my caching, and it's a lot less stressful than it used to be. Sometimes he enjoys the competitiveness of the FTF hunt, and will help out with hunting for those. Lately he's been helping me keep my cache streak alive - often asking me two or three times a day if I found a cache yet, where I found it, etc. I think it's becoming part of 'us'!

My family isn't really into geocaching at all though my brother has gotten used to stopping a few minutes to wait while I search for a cache- "I support my sister in all her endeavors" was his slightly snarky answer to a friend who asked why we were stopping for a few minutes once. :laughing: That and by this point he appreciates how caching often takes you to interesting viewpoints etc that you wouldn't otherwise know about.

For the rest of my family, what I'll often do when we are planning to go hiking etc is do a little research in the area for a hike that has several caches along the route, and then pick them off while others are hiking (ie catch up later or what have you). Family seems relatively ok with this, after all it's not different from someone stopping for a break on a hike or whatever.

Solution with my boyfriend is he likes caching but not as much as me, and only if it takes him someplace new/ is bigger than a micro (we live in Europe where lamppost caches don't exist, but if they did I know he'd hate them!). So maybe work on looking for ones that are smalls or larges with high favorite points? That's the compromise we've reached at least. :)

[Edited by moderator]

The way see it, it's nice when two people enjoy some activity to the same extent, but that doesn't always happen. Like Blue Deuce, my wife has no interest in kayaking either. However, she knows that kayaking is something that I really enjoy, so she not only supports me when I want to go but encourages me to do something that makes me happy.

Edited by Keystone
removed text that wasn't family-friendly

My hubby indulges me while I cache, but has no interest himself. I do most of my caching alone. When he is along, I try to limit the number, and pick ones that I can 'sell' to him. He likes to hike, but doesn't like the search. He also likes photography. He actually will attend events if it has some interesting venue or feature. Earthcaches are usually a good choice for him. Otherwise, I just go for a quickie, but if I don't find it quickly, then I move on.

I'm a content person with my hobbies and my partners being different and separate. If someone wasn't into caching I'd just let it be. It would be like my partner trying to make me fish. I don't enjoy it and it would suck the fun out of his experience. Instead usually when I'm with someone we usually share our hobbies but mutually respect each others personal space.

I know a couple, she loves to cache, he loves to make her happy, so he drives and reads a book while she goes after the caches. It's worked for them for 10 years and thousands of caches. dry.gif

Funny, I know one or two cachers in our area that do this.

Actually, my wife did this the year she launched her web store. I'd get the P&G caches, she'd work on the website.

To the OP,

If your bf is into hiking and backpacking, but not feeling geocaching, maybe look for a few really good hike in caches in your area. We are lucky enough to have a great cache locally that can be a nice overnight backpack trip or a tougher day trip (with a cache at the end of it). Browse through this thread and if the pics look like something he or you would like, ask around locally for something similar (http://forum.northernontariogeocachers.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=487&p=3303#p3303).

I know of quite a few geocachers where only one of the partners caches. In several cases, they even use a team name, because initially they thought they were both (or all) going to be doing it, but sometimes the initial enthusiasm just doesn't last with one or the other. By the way, of those that I'm aware of, there are problem just about as many of either gender.

He obviously hasn't found a cache on his own either - he would never do it alone. He only goes geocaching for my sake and I appreciate it, but still, I would love to find a way -if there is one- to get him more motivated for this wonderful game. Just so he could also enjoy it as much as I do. Does anyone else experience this?

I think most of us have gone caching at some point with someone who didn't get the fun of geocaching. And when that happens, it's just not as enjoyable. You're always worrying about whether they are having fun, or if they want to go home, do something else, etc. This probably applies to any hobby or activity really.

I don't know any way to get your soon to be ex boyfriend to enjoy geocaching as much as you do. He may play along, but clearly he's just not that into it. Perhaps the REAL question is, do you want a boyfriend who enjoys geocaching? If that's the case, I can't imagine that it will be difficult for a nice person like you to find a new boyfriend who likes to geocache friend who likes to geocache.

Lastly, this entire scenario reminds me of the movie "Splinterheads." Anyone else?

Wow... Didn't read all the replies...

Every individual needs to have their own 'happiness' before they can be happy with a partner. A relationship will never last if both individuals can't be 'themselves' but forced to be someone else.

You can try to get him more interested ... and if that doesn't work, then you need to get out and go geocaching without him. If he refuses to allow it....then it's time to think seriously about where the relationship is going. If he's controlling you - chances are, he will always control you and you will never be truly happy together!

And yes, I also badly need to find other fellow geocachers in my area. Hopefully I can solve this issue when a new geocaching event pops up.

Thank you for the multitude of answers. I appreciate your input a lot :) and I'm glad I asked. Knowing I'm not alone in this situation and hearing how others cope with it has given me more hope.

Best regards,

Vanja

He may never really buy into geocaching the way you have. What you could do is to have something at the end of the geocaching. Pick out a park with a few caches in it, bring along a picnic basket and after the caching is done, enjoy a picnic in the park with just the two of you. Or the beach. Or a movie. Just spice it up a bit so that it isn't always a "we're going geocaching and then come back home" trip.

I also like the advice of researching and going after some highly rated caches. Walking along with someone while they search out a bison tube hidden on a fence post...that doesn't sound appealing to me, either. Try introducing a game aspect to it. Look for regular sized caches and see who can find the silliest swag (or the coolest...or ugliest). Maybe he'd enjoy designing/creating something to leave as a sig item. If so, he might be alot more interested in tagging along just so he can drop his creations into a cache.

Keep on trying!

too many posts to read them all but my advice is if you doesn't want to do make him. But he can join you if you basically do just quality caches if he goes with you. Like ones that take you interesting sites, hikes with great views, interesting history etc. You just have hunt out the great caches.Like the one in your profile picture. Those places. I have been to some beautiful, awesome places caching. Those I wouldn't trade for anything. The ones under lampskirts are the ones you can do when you aren't with him.

here is what we got ?

YOU love geocaching, any type of size, diff, terr, hike or not, find the cache, sign its log,

play with your GPS, log online, and all that,

YOU love your boyfriend, and to be with him,

and to bring him with you on your geocaching adventures..

HE loves YOU,

he likes to hike, nature, trips, see stuff, and to be with you,

he dont understand the hide and seek and log part of it..

Where is the problem ??

He dont need to understand or enjoy the hide and seek part of it at all..

you can do that, while he looks at you, you are so nice and beutifull

I am sure he will enjoy to look at you.

Let him be a part of the planning where to go, and when,

so there is something for him too, if it is a cool hike, show him geocaching can do that too.

and you load your GPS with a few on the route, if there are none, so fine,

maybe another day there will be.

----

another thing is:

it is perfectly ok to accept as a couple not all adventures or hobbies are for both parts,

to be open and let the other part do what he or she likes is very important,

if he dont like to do it with you, just say fine, and go find other friends to geocache with

if you dont like to do it alone. some cache types are just perfect for alone trips

while others are much better if you are 2-4 people. There is also the social part of it..

----

a trick:

show him how important and usefull a GPS can be to find your way arround, and back safe,

you are always on the right track, and know exactly where yo go,

maybe he is more the, lets get lost kind of type, and lets see if we can find our way back :-)

this we played alot when I was a kid..

Edited by OZ2CPU

Probably it would help to do more hiking caches where only at the very end a container has to be searched for and where the hike is the main focus not searching. I'm into geocaching since 10 years, but I have never liked and never will like the searching part. If it takes longer than 5 minutes, I get impatient.

Powertrails as the one you apparently visited recently are a real chore for me. After a long hike I prefer to return home and to write only one or at most two detailed logs accounting for my whole experience and not having to log tens of caches (I'm against cut and paste logs).

Try e.g. caches like this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=897f33ed-9a2d-4071-9d71-6530a7bd5915

(it should be within reach for you)

I guess you might be fine with just visiting this cache together with possibly a few very short ones on the way.

If, however, the searching aspect is in the foreground for you and not being outside, enjoying the nature and being physically active, then I have no suggestion.

As finding contacts to local geocachers is regarded, you might also just try to contact some locals by e-mail (there are by now many cachers in the Maribor area, 5r, lagosi, Vanja&Valdi and others (I just mention a few whose names I know well as they often cache in Styria).

You need not wait for an event. You could also try to take part in first to find hunts - this is also often provides the chance to meet other cachers.

Cezanne

PS: Why don't you offer your cache in English as well despite being fluent in English? In earlier times almost all Slovenian caches also had an English description. Unfortunately the situation has changed to the negative recently - the same happened years ago unfortunately in Austria as well and also concerns most of the caches in the border region.

Edited by cezanne

I love geocaching, but my boyfriend sadly doesn't share my enthusiasm. Although he likes to hike and so on, he doesn't like actually having to SEARCH for the containers.

If he enjoys hiking but not geocaching, use geocaching to find new places to hike. Of course, you can find caches in places you normally go. But you can also find new places to go by seeking interesting caches. Many people are attracted to caching because they often discover new places to explore... even places close to home that you've never realized were so amazing. Once he realizes the value in discovering new places maybe, just *maybe*, his enthusiasm will increase.

If you do the legwork to find some options of places to geocache, let him help choose the location before an outing. Perhaps, then, he will see the value in the game.

here is what we got ?

YOU love geocaching, any type of size, diff, terr, hike or not, find the cache, sign its log,

play with your GPS, log online, and all that,

YOU love your boyfriend, and to be with him,

and to bring him with you on your geocaching adventures..

HE loves YOU,

he likes to hike, nature, trips, see stuff, and to be with you,

he dont understand the hide and seek and log part of it..

Where is the problem ??

He dont need to understand or enjoy the hide and seek part of it at all..

you can do that, while he looks at you, you are so nice and beutifull

I am sure he will enjoy to look at you.

Let him be a part of the planning where to go, and when,

so there is something for him too, if it is a cool hike, show him geocaching can do that too.

and you load your GPS with a few on the route, if there are none, so fine,

maybe another day there will be.

----

another thing is:

it is perfectly ok to accept as a couple not all adventures or hobbies are for both parts,

to be open and let the other part do what he or she likes is very important,

if he dont like to do it with you, just say fine, and go find other friends to geocache with

if you dont like to do it alone. some cache types are just perfect for alone trips

while others are much better if you are 2-4 people. There is also the social part of it..

----

a trick:

show him how important and usefull a GPS can be to find your way arround, and back safe,

you are always on the right track, and know exactly where yo go,

maybe he is more the, lets get lost kind of type, and lets see if we can find our way back :-)

this we played alot when I was a kid..

What a beautiful love poem! :lol:

Find another Boyfriend

My wife and youngest son are not into cacheing but they do come along some of the time. I now do most of my caching alone, either at lunch time for close and easy caches or when I am on the road for work. When they are with me I try to find an interesting place to go and some times they do get into the hunt more then others. Also my wife is into puzzles but I am not, so when we do a puzzle cache I "let" her work it out for us.

Another thing I do is if I haven't found the cache fast enough we move on even if it means I get a DNF on one I really wanted to find. Fast Enough very's depending on the time, location or schedule for the day. I just have to read the body language to know when it is time to move on and give up.