The fate of a cache when the owner appears to be inactive.

Chipperlarter

I recently discover a cache by accident. On logging the find I noted the owner has been inactive for nearly 2 years. I am now wondering what happens to caches like these and if there is any way the cache can be adopted without the owners permission? I have previously adopted a cache but the current owner responded very quickly.

Thoughts please?

Thanks

Chipperlarter

if there is any way the cache can be adopted without the owners permission?

No, you can't.

On logging the find I noted the owner has been inactive for nearly 2 years. I am now wondering what happens to caches like these

If the cache is in good condition, let it live on for now without an active owner.

If the cache is in bad shape, post a NA log explaining the situation (what's wrong with it and why you believe the owner will not do anything about it). If this happens, hopefully previous finders have logged NM to speed up the process. If the cache is archived, the Reviewer may ask you to remove the container so it doesn't stay around as trash.

Locally, we have some very old, great caches that the CO has moved on.

A few of us have kept the good ones going where we can, and let the others go.

You unfortunately can not adopt them. I've tried.

The best I can do is post a note that I have repaired the cache, and send the responsible reviewer (generally the last one that touched the cache) a quick note asking for the NM to be removed as the cache has been repaired.

This has worked for me.

I also take photos of the before and after cache (container, log, etc) in case there are any questions from the reviewer or others.

Edited by Mike & Jess

As others have already pointed out, you do need the cache owner's permission to adopt a cache. The cache that you found appears to be in good condition aside from the fact that it was not hidden very well when you found it, so there is probably insufficient grounds for getting it archived. Were you able to rehide it sufficiently to avoid more accidental finds?

As for adopting caches, it is my personal view that very, very few historic caches should be adopted. If you put out a new cache, you will be bringing people back to the spot that had previously found the old one. If you adopt the old cache, only new cachers will bother going to it. If the location is good enough for an old cache, then its good enough for a new one as well.

Just because the owner does not log in and updates that field, it does not mean they do not get the emails of their caches. So, log it and be happy. The only true test will happen if something goes awry likes its missing or there is a problem, then hopefully they will address it.

Did a non traditional about a year ago where I figured the owner had to be gone, but they replied to my email despite the old date on the profile.

Check their last find. Seems some of the phone apps will add a find on say August 16, 2012 but since the cacher only uses an app and doesn't log in it will show the last log-in as say June 13, 2010. Also don't assume they don't cache. Maybe they share their spouses account, or like one local cacher here, stopped finding caches but still maintains the ones that he placed.

As others have already pointed out, you do need the cache owner's permission to adopt a cache. The cache that you found appears to be in good condition aside from the fact that it was not hidden very well when you found it, so there is probably insufficient grounds for getting it archived. Were you able to rehide it sufficiently to avoid more accidental finds?

As for adopting caches, it is my personal view that very, very few historic caches should be adopted. If you put out a new cache, you will be bringing people back to the spot that had previously found the old one. If you adopt the old cache, only new cachers will bother going to it. If the location is good enough for an old cache, then its good enough for a new one as well.

The pros and cons with the bolded text, is in high cache populated area, this is very correct.

For areas like up where I am, some of these old historical caches is what brings the hardcores from the south up here to cache.

If the area has out grown the cache (Boreal Cache in Sudbury is a prime example), it's worth letting go or adding a NA to make it less painful.