Does my head zip up the back?

ayrbrain

Did I come up the Clyde on a bike? Now I am getting the type of email in my in box, it was headed Geocaching in the title box.

But of course it is one of these emails whereby I have millions of US$ just sitting in an account waiting for me to give ALL my bank details and then it will becme mine!

Obviously I will not be responding, but I am annoyed this is now coming via the geocaching site whereby someone has been on the site and now targeting us through here, Is there some way I can forward the email i received to geocaching as we would do if it came through a 'so called bank'.

Has anyone else received anything like this through geocaching, this is a first through here me but not through other means?

Many thanks

all they need is to look in your e mail address book and find keywords / words that appear frequently

or review your boxes and trash for topic headers ( such as geocache alerts)

it does not have to come out of HQ itself.

Have never had geocache flagged SPAM only ones concerned about where I get my pharmaceuticals and those concerned about my manhood.

both of which I ignore.

Has anyone else received anything like this through geocaching, this is a first through here me but not through other means?

Someone in my GC friends list has Spammed me a lot (it was from their computer or from a spoofed address, either way not actually "from the person", it was more like a computer virus thing). So I'd see their “from” name, and it was always an excessively chummy message, with a Spam link. So it was, allegedly, “from” a Geocacher, and somehow the database had been matched with me to make it an authentic-looking cold-call email. But it was not a direct PM from the Geocaching profile.

I wouldn't forward it to Groundspeak unless I was sure that it came from Groundspeak. Just because it had the word Geocaching in the title/subject doesn't mean that it came from them.

How many toolbars do you have on your browser? Not all of them are that innocent. They monitor what sites you are visiting, like geocaching.com and then report to their servers which then target you with ads and junk mail.

Thanks for all replies.

This is the only cache site i go to, Oh well not to worry, the millions of dollars can go to someone else because if ' i do not reply to him' then it will go to someone else,! To think that some folk would fall for this type of scam, what a sad world.

ayrbrain (hey, wouldn't that be funny if you changed your username to Zipperhead?) does not display their email address in their profile, as a small percentage of Geocachers do. I can only conclude this Nigerian 419 scam email (that's what it's called), was sent from another Geocaching.com member through the website.

Spammed? Not really in 9 years. At the height of the Geocoin craze, I received an email from someone who apparently sent it out to everyone who ever found one of their caches, sort of advertising their personal Geocoin. Didn't bother me, I didn't report it. I doubt anyone did, but you never know.

abuse@domainname is a valid email address for most websites. But I'd just go with contact@geocaching.com. And yes, I would most certainly report this.

Sent from email addresses can be spoofed very easily with the proper software. Check the headers of the email and the sending mail server and IP address should show the actual origin of where it was sent from. My guess is that it will be some server out of country. Contacting Groundspeak may not help you if this is the case. Your best bet is to look at the email and look for something identifying to the fact that it is spam, then set up a rule to automatically delete any mail that contains that identifying marker. I have several rules. One example is a rule that deletes anything that contains the word AFRICA.. it cuts down on the spam I have to run through...

Sent from email addresses can be spoofed very easily with the proper software. Check the headers of the email and the sending mail server and IP address should show the actual origin of where it was sent from. My guess is that it will be some server out of country. Contacting Groundspeak may not help you if this is the case.

It's highly unlikely that Groundspeak will be able to do anything about this but it is worth sent them a message about it in case there is a security hole that is letting spammers use the site as an open relay.

So far I haven't received any spam through my Geocaching related accounts but lately I've been getting a few phishing messages from people I know that also have facebook accounts.

Your best bet is to look at the email and look for something identifying to the fact that it is spam, then set up a rule to automatically delete any mail that contains that identifying marker. I have several rules. One example is a rule that deletes anything that contains the word AFRICA.. it cuts down on the spam I have to run through...

That wouldn't work for me since I do a fair amount of work with people in Africa and get legitimate email from them fairly often.

Has the OP confirmed that it came from/through one of the Groundspeak sites? If not, what is the point of contacting Groundspeak?

Anything can be spoofed. Check the header and see what server it started at. "CacherX Contacting CacherY from Geocaching.com" type emails will have some form of geocaching.com at the top of the headers. If instead you see something like nigerians.getting.rich.com, then it's not from Groundspeak.

That wouldn't work for me since I do a fair amount of work with people in Africa and get legitimate email from them fairly often.

If you mean one about about a dead prince with an account in London, you should double-check that. :anitongue:

I'm quite familiar with the Nigeria 419 scam and all it's variations. I've never been to Nigeria but I've met a few Nigerians, including a really sharp guy that attended a seminar I taught in Tanzania a few months ago. Coincidentally, one of the other instructors at that seminar is originally from Tanzania and his first name is Africa.

Has the OP confirmed that it came from/through one of the Groundspeak sites? If not, what is the point of contacting Groundspeak?

Anything can be spoofed. Check the header and see what server it started at. "CacherX Contacting CacherY from Geocaching.com" type emails will have some form of geocaching.com at the top of the headers. If instead you see something like nigerians.getting.rich.com, then it's not from Groundspeak.

Well this is true. Headers have always been spoofed in spam, even back in the days when fat unemployed losers used to sit at a computer all day and send it out manually. And yes, that's really what used to happen. :laughing: I've never heard of the domain name Geocaching.com spoofed by spammers, but you never know. I guess we need the OP to come back and tell us if this was really a "username contacting ayrbrain from Geocaching.com" situation, or an email supposedly sent from anyone@Geocaching.com.

Well this is true. Headers have always been spoofed in spam, even back in the days when fat unemployed losers used to sit at a computer all day and send it out manually. And yes, that's really what used to happen. :laughing: I've never heard of the domain name Geocaching.com spoofed by spammers, but you never know. I guess we need the OP to come back and tell us if this was really a "username contacting ayrbrain from Geocaching.com" situation, or an email supposedly sent from anyone@Geocaching.com.

Every so often I open the SPAM folder in my gmail account. It's amazing some of the things you can find. A common one is what looks like a legitimate friend request from Facebook. If you expose the header you see the servers that it came through, as well as the links in the body are something like facebook.spammer.com. Of course, it really doesn't say spammer, it's some innocent looking name. People think that these are from Facebook.com but it would actually be from spammer.com. It's the name before the final dot that is the actual server. If you think you are getting spammed from Geocaching.com but the actual name in the header is geocaching.ifooledyou.com, you got fooled.