etrex h

just searching

Hi All

I have been a member of geocaching for awhile now but havent been very active for a long time my question is on my gps when I am searching for a cache should I follow the pointer in the direction it is pointing ex north south east west or actually go the oppasite way to the pointer I know this seems silly but am a little confused thank for any info.

urs

just searching

Hi All

I have been a member of geocaching for awhile now but havent been very active for a long time my question is on my gps when I am searching for a cache should I follow the pointer in the direction it is pointing ex north south east west or actually go the oppasite way to the pointer I know this seems silly but am a little confused thank for any info.

urs

just searching

Follow the pointer.

Hi All

Thank you for all your input the reason I asked is that my gps pointer was sending me in all different directions I got confused when the gps put me into a block wall but said there is still a ways to go.

urs

just searching

The gps has no idea that there is a wall between you and your destination. It doesn't care that you have to cross a river, climb a cliff, or go through a building. All it knows is that you are here.... and you need to be there, and it is that far away. It is up to you to use common sense to figure out the best route for you to get to that spot.

Hi All

Thank you for all your input the reason I asked is that my gps pointer was sending me in all different directions I got confused when the gps put me into a block wall but said there is still a ways to go.

urs

just searching

The gps has no idea that there is a wall between you and your destination. It doesn't care that you have to cross a river, climb a cliff, or go through a building. All it knows is that you are here.... and you need to be there, and it is that far away. It is up to you to use common sense to figure out the best route for you to get to that spot.

Hi The thing is with this particular wall it devides private property from public and the cache that I was searching for is supposed to be in the public area a park area according to the info I got off this site anyway thank you all for your input.

urs

just searching

Hi All

urs

just searching

Hi The thing is with this particular wall it devides private property from public and the cache that I was searching for is supposed to be in the public area a park area according to the info I got off this site anyway thank you all for your input.

urs

just searching

Just know that it is going to point you in a straight line. It doesn't distinguish between private or public property. For that matter it doesn't distinguish between a river, lake or ocean either!

It's up to you HOW you approach the cache, not the GPSr. It just points to it.

As stated previously, with this model, you must be moving for it to properly align with the cache. Standing still or moving very slowly will cause it (the arrow) to jump about.