Found: one unlisted geocache (Vancouver, BC)

kamen38

Today, in looking for Geocache GC360CG on Granville Island, Vancouver, we happened upon an extra Geocache that is not listed.

I've got a premium account, and so it's not a premium cache.

It was placed in August 2012 according to the logbook, so enough time for the user to list it.

It was listed as plated by hedgehogs4 in the logbook.

So. What's up with that? Anyone encountered a situation like this before?

There's nothing current pending near the cache you were looking for - I checked for caches submitted but turned down for being too close, caches that haven't been activated for review yet, etc.

Interestingly, a cache was hidden in 2003 about 90 feet away from the one you were looking for. It would have been cool to find that one, because it was never published.

Other geocaching websites or the final to a puzzle are always possible. So is a an unlisted cache for an event or say school group. Could have been a cache that was placed then the owner found out it was to close to another (without sending it for review) and abandoned it. Maybe a new cacher that placed it and decided geocaching wasn't for him before he wrote up the page. Tons of possibilities. I've encountered the same thing, twice, only to find out that the parks dept. placed them and put the co-ords on a tourist map without putting them online. I've since seen one of them muggled beyond repair, and I put the other here.

Searches for caches found by; caches hidden by; geocaching.com; GS forums all fail to produce any results for hedgehogs4

At least the name existed for amost three months back in 2010! No finds, hides or anything else as you noted.

As for that unpublished cache in the area, wonder if it was ever removed. Not sure if such coordinates are ever given out to check by a local. As also noted there are other services as well.

Doug 7rxc

Seems I was too quick to assume it was a letterbox. From the photos on the cache page, the cache appears to be under a boardwalk. I took the coords and plunked them into the letterbox search on the Atlas Quest site and came up with 3 nearby letterboxes but they appear to be at least a kilometer away. And I'm not seeing anything about a boardwalk placement. So maybe what you found was a cache that was placed then abandoned after the CO found out it was too near another cache. In my time, I've stumbled upon several abandoned caches that were placed too close to another cache. Or it might be a cache that is posted on another geocaching site.