garmin etrex20 map

alikat68

I think SGW has a similar topic. So I'm sorry if this seems like a repeat. But I don't understand maps. I've used my droid bionic to geocache and actually like it (alot). Shows ALL caches, I can zoom in, see details of the cache, and log. It pretty much does everything. But it drains my battery. When I geocache I might be all over the place. I thought an actual gps device might be better. So I have set up the PQ's and they are on my gps device (garmin etrex 20). But I am having major anxiety over maps. Free is good and if I pay that is fine if it shows what I want. Will I be able to see more than one cache at a time? Can I zoom in/out? Will I see the details of the track I want? Can anyone fill in some of these blanks?

I think SGW has a similar topic. So I'm sorry if this seems like a repeat. But I don't understand maps. I've used my droid bionic to geocache and actually like it (alot). Shows ALL caches, I can zoom in, see details of the cache, and log. It pretty much does everything. But it drains my battery. When I geocache I might be all over the place. I thought an actual gps device might be better. So I have set up the PQ's and they are on my gps device (garmin etrex 20). But I am having major anxiety over maps. Free is good and if I pay that is fine if it shows what I want. Will I be able to see more than one cache at a time? Can I zoom in/out? Will I see the details of the track I want? Can anyone fill in some of these blanks?

Do you own an Etrex 20? If so, download some (maps with an installer) and a copy of BaseCamp, and see if they do what you want. You'll never know if they show what you want unless you look at them on a GPSr. Yes they zoom.

You don't say where you are, or what your OS is. If you did you might get more helpful answers.

garmin.openstreetmap.nl is a good place to start with free maps.

Edited by seldom_sn

yes, I have an etrex 20. I'm in Lincoln, NE. Not sure what you mean by OS (operating system,= windows). I've been on open street but ends up in page not available. I have a log in and try to export but never works out. I've read SO many faq's, forums i'm's i'm pretty much blue in the face. I agree, I need to start to put "something" on my device and see what it looks like but I figure in this geocache forum I can cut thru some red tape.

Here in Alberta we have user generated maps for our area that are SO much better than anything you could buy. You might want to check your local area geocaching group and see if there is anything on that. A decent set of park trail maps can save the day when you are in a large park caching.

With my etrex20 I can load and unload multiple maps as I want to use them. I.e. when we went to Disneyland there is a free map for the park that I loaded. I knew where all the toilets were and it routed me to the best path for each ride we wanted to go to. I could also tell how far we walked each day... it was FAR!

I use mapsource and load any maps I find into it had give them a good hard look. Some route, some don't. Some are ugly.. some are not.

Good luck!

Shaun

yes, I have an etrex 20. I'm in Lincoln, NE. Not sure what you mean by OS (operating system,= windows). I've been on open street but ends up in page not available. I have a log in and try to export but never works out. I've read SO many faq's, forums i'm's i'm pretty much blue in the face. I agree, I need to start to put "something" on my device and see what it looks like but I figure in this geocache forum I can cut thru some red tape.

To download maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl you don't need to log in. To get data from OSM you may need to log in, but then you'd need to compile the map also.