eTrex 30 case and screen protection recommendations?

geospyder

Trying to decide what case and/or screen protection I should get for my eTrex 30. My previous GPS's have rubbed up against a number of rocks during their time geocaching. I'd like to protect this one as much as I can without having to put it in a metal case :rolleyes: Unfortunately ZAGG doesn't make anything for the eTrex 30 yet. I also haven't found a case yet that has screen protection like the old eTrex Vista had. Any suggestions?

I have an eTrex 20 and I bought the case Garmin recommends for it. The case has a clear plastic window and a hole for the "thumb stick". Interesting to note is that the case seams are just the right thickness to not allow accidental movement of the thumb stick when carried in your pocket, for example. I paid full pop $20, but I've seen it as low as $15.

I purchased screen protectors made specifically for the eTrex 10/20/30 from ScreenPetronus on eBay.

My keys nicked the protector, but the screen itself is fine.

I've also dropped my GPS face down from waist high and it landed on some roadside gravel.

The screen protector was slightly damaged, but the actual GPS screen is fine.

I have an eTrex 20 and I bought the case Garmin recommends for it. The case has a clear plastic window and a hole for the "thumb stick". Interesting to note is that the case seams are just the right thickness to not allow accidental movement of the thumb stick when carried in your pocket, for example. I paid full pop $20, but I've seen it as low as $15.

Is the case on the Garmin site? The only ones I've spotted so far didn't have the plastic. Guess I'd better look again. Thanks.

You definitely should have a good screen protector. No matter how careful you are units get dropped. I have a montana and it had a zagg screen protector on it when I bought it used. It has saved the screen more than once. I have used the phantom skinz for my itouch and also bestskinsever for my camera screen. They both are same/similar material to the zagg protector but are less expensive. The phantom skinz site is down right now so I can't check to see if they make one specifically for the etrex 30 but bestskinsever don't list one on their site. I just put it here for reference. I have also heard of xoskins but haven't used any.

I have a GizzMoVest for my montana and it is great! It has saved my unit more than once. It has a nice grippy feeling. Since the screen is recessed I think it saved the screen from damage when I tripped on a curb. (I wish it could have saved my knee too. LOL)

I'm probably in the minority here but I've always hated screen protectors. We've always used the soft canvas belt holster for our units.....the unit is either in the holster or my hand.....some units have many years of heavy use and the screens are mint.

These can be bought on Ebay or Amazon......I like to store them in these cases as well ( an old sock makes for a good storage case too)

Is the case on the Garmin site? The only ones I've spotted so far didn't have the plastic. Guess I'd better look again. Thanks.

Yes it is. Product number: 010-11734-00

I'm probably in the minority here but I've always hated screen protectors. We've always used the soft canvas belt holster for our units.....the unit is either in the holster or my hand.....some units have many years of heavy use and the screens are mint.

These can be bought on Ebay or Amazon......I like to store them in these cases as well ( an old sock makes for a good storage case too)

I'm with you on this. I'm looking at a package of Zagg screen protectors right now that I've owned for awhile but haven't opened yet. I use my GPSr's mainly for geocaching and they don't see a lot of rough use. I try to be careful, although I sheared off most of the buttons on my 60Cx when I fell awhile ago. Screen's perfect though and still works great, lol!

I just got a new phone and it came with a sheet of generic screen protection plastic. I've since ordered custom screen protection for the phone. Long story short I cut the sheet to fit over the screen on the eTrex 30. Not the best but it will do until I finally decide what I want to get for a more permanent solution. Yesterday was my first day caching with the 30. Sure do love the paperless aspect. In another week we'll be taking a two week road trip. During that time I'll have plenty of opportunties to decide what I need for accessories - power cord for the car, some sort of mount, case, etc.

After caching all day yesterday I've definitely decided I need a car power cord. Mainly so the screen will stay back lit. Hard to read when it is not back lit. Not so sure about a case because of needing access to the power plug when driving. The screen protection does give me a better feeling about placing the GPS in my pocket when out of the Jeep. I have a wrist cord on the GPS from a camera. I connect that to a carabiner on my belt loop while the GPS is in my pocket. Less chance of it falling out. While caching in the US this set up will work. We tend to do a lot of travelling outside the US and I do have a small camera case that my belt loops through. That way when I'm playing tourist I can place the GPS in the case instead of my pocket or hand. I know this is TMI but I'm just getting back into caching and experimenting with what works for me. BTW - paperless caching is fantastic!

Just wondering, does anyone know if the screen is gorilla glass on the new eTrex series?

Ha Ha, it's not even glass. Best get a screen protector, I am using a cut now smart phone one. But there are plenty of custom ones on ebay.

:laughing: Over the years I have used Zagg protectors on all my Garmins (old yeller etrex,foretrex 101,Legend,60csx,and various NUVIs) BUT, they don't now have one for my etrex 30 and after many contacts (phone email etc) with the company,they don't seem to have plans or any interest in making one available. They suggested I buy one of their universal kits, which they don't sell themselves, but farm them out to Nebraska Furniture Mart, Amazon, Toys R Us at an outrageous price considering you have to cut them out yourself and they are not covered by their lifetime warranty. So after searching around and using some low quality protectors available at Target, Walmart etc I finally found "XO Skins" website carries them, very similar in quality to Zagg,crystal clear, same installation involved not as pronounced "orange peel" finish as Zagg, and oh yes, LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!

Problem solved... xoskins.com/gps-skin-protectors/garmin-skin-protectors/ga`rmin-etrex-30-screen-protector

See ya'

Trying to decide what case and/or screen protection I should get for my eTrex 30. My previous GPS's have rubbed up against a number of rocks during their time geocaching. I'd like to protect this one as much as I can without having to put it in a metal case :rolleyes: Unfortunately ZAGG doesn't make anything for the eTrex 30 yet. I also haven't found a case yet that has screen protection like the old eTrex Vista had. Any suggestions?

Go to XO Skins website, equal or better in quality than ZAGG, (and I am a ZAGG fan from day one, don't know why they show no interest in making a protector for etrex 30???)

See ya'

For those of you who rubbed up your eTrex x0 screens without a protector:

Vigorous rubbing with Autosol chrome polish and ordinary household paper does wonders to reduce scratches and make the screen readable again.

In case of very deep ones you might want to use some fine sandpaper on the scratches before the Autosol.