Uncamoflage

drsolly

A couple of days ago, I found a cache by the two sticks that stuck out at an unnatural angle from the hole in the tree. If it hadn't been for those, I might have taken a lot longer, because the cache was invisible if it was pushed right into the hole.

So I threw away the two sticks,

This is one of many examples I've seen, where an poor attempt at camoflage has had the opposite of the effect that camouflage should have. I'm not sure what to call it.

Uncamoflage? Discamoflage? Sorethumboflage?

A couple of days ago, I found a cache by the two sticks that stuck out at an unnatural angle from the hole in the tree. If it hadn't been for those, I might have taken a lot longer, because the cache was invisible if it was pushed right into the hole.

So I threw away the two sticks,

This is one of many examples I've seen, where an poor attempt at camoflage has had the opposite of the effect that camouflage should have. I'm not sure what to call it.

Uncamoflage? Discamoflage? Sorethumboflage?

How about "uncamouflage"? :ph34r::lol:

I normally call that anti-camo in my logs. Although not clear in your case, the times I've run into it, it was pretty clear that someone (probably the CO) was trying to make an impossible hide easier. In your example, was the difficulty rating appropriate for what you found, or for what you left?

There was a point where if i found a regular in a woods, hidden by stickoflage against a tree I would go to sourrounding trees and put some stickoflage up to try and confuse the searching cacher! Justa bit of fun! I do have to agree that a bit of subtle camo to cover the container is good, but not piles upon piles of sticks which make it so obvs even a muggle would feel the need to see what it was concealing!

There was a point where if i found a regular in a woods, hidden by stickoflage against a tree I would go to sourrounding trees and put some stickoflage up to try and confuse the searching cacher!

That's part of the theme of this cache Cachers Eye walking along those paths there are loads of little piles of sticks.

On my ignore list now!

(As it's had a Needs Maintenance log since January, maybe it needs a Needs Archived, as the owner obviously isn't too bothered about the cache... :unsure: )

I quite like a bit of stickoflague!

Okay, maybe not as obvious as Dr Solly found, but it saves time and I cache mostly for the walk and scenery than for the fun of digging around and looking suspicious for 15 minutes. For caches where the hide itself is part of the surprise or task, no problem, but for a normal or trail cache, better to find, replace and move on - and I've no problem being given a hint by the previous finder in a way that only a cacher would spot!

Bit of pine bark amongst deciduous trees, sawn log, wrong type of stone, stones "put" somewhere. Most people walk along not looking at stuff like this, especially adults, and considering how often some caches are found - and each find involving somebody searching for something that's hidden in a very localised area, it's perhaps more surprising they're not muggled more often.

I don't like to rely on stickoflage when hiding for this very reason. Some finders don't put enough on to cover the container; others attempt to mask each and every tiny gap until it resembles a beaver's dam. On one find I dismantled a dam that we could see from 50ft away even without a GPSr, and replaced it with a much sparser covering. Since the cache box had been darkly coloured, it didn't stand out at all - what little could be seen just looked like natural shadows. Unless a hint says "Look for the massive teepee of sticks I constructed", I will exercise judgement and re-hide how I imagine the CO intended, but this will obviously be coloured by my own views. Only two or three of my own 50-odd physical stages use stickoflage to any extent; if possible, I prefer to find a self-concealing option to reduce the unknown factor of minimalist vs beaver finders.

One possible upshot of Drsolly's approach to "fixing" uncamouflage issues is that the cache is never seen again.. GC24QB6.

Without knowing the details of how he re-hid it, I'd be inclined to reserve judgment.

His more subtle camouflage can't have been much worse than "Tescoflage", which was the state in which I found one cache, in a white carrier bag in some woods. Initially I had thought the bag contained dog poo or had just been carried by the wind from a nearby road. I re-hid the cache using stickoflage, as subtly as possible considering it had been muggled once before. Whether or not my own actions were competent, is for others to judge, but it is is some relief to know there have been two subsequent finders.

Edited by and1969