Jigsaw puzzle clue

safechrisLaurie

I've seen puzzle caches with on-site puzzles, but none with an actual physical jigsaw puzzle.

I've started a series that uses jigsaw-style clues for a bonus cache. Each cache in the series contains a picture of a jigsaw piece with part of the coordinates for the final bonus cache. You need to photograph the clues and figure out how they go together to get the coordinates.

With a physical jigsaw puzzle cache, I would be concerned about moisture getting into the first stage and ruining the puzzle pieces needed to determine the coordinates for the next stage. Waterproofing a cardboard puzzle can help some. Using a puzzle made of something that can remain wet without damage would help more.

You may also have problems with the first stage acquiring "replacement" logs from people who don't realize that they need to go to the location indicated by the assembled puzzle (or who don't want to bother). I'm a fan of non-container stages and decoys, just because I've seen others deal with such "replacement" logs. If the stage or decoy is not a container and cannot contain anything, then "replacement" logs are less likely.

I've came across something like that:the semi-famous "Muzzles" in Middletown, OH. So far, I've solved a few of the puzzles and working on another. However, I haven't had enough time to find them.

Basically, you go to the "Related Webpage" on the cache page, which goes to Jigidi. Solve the puzzle (I can get one in about an hour), enter it into Geocheck, and get more clues to find the final coords for the cache. So cool.

If you're talking about physically assembling the puzzle in the field, yes, I've seen this done.

Probably the best version of that I've seen was TDJVolks, Some Assembly Required, GCH7A4. The jigsaw puzzle was done in wood, cut out with a jigsaw, coords on the back, not quite readable until you'd put it together. This housed in a 50 ammo can. It survived the 7 years of the cache's life and was intact when the hide was archived. There were other field puzzles along the way in that cache. Cache was correctly listed as multi. Today, you'd add the field puzzle attribute to that.

I've seen other versions where commercial cardboard jigsaw puzzles were used, likewise coords on the back. None of these held up well, even when well housed. Paper backed cardboard isn't well suited to being outdoors all summer in the Humidity Belt. Plastic puzzle would work, I've not seen one.

I've seen online jigsaw puzzles as well. http://two.flash-gear.com/npuz/puz.php?c=v&id=2992803&k=79036730

Coords hidden in the image. This works, as long as the website used doesn't require the user to register there. Done this way, the cache is a Mystery.