Geocaching, Verizon phones, and Data Plans.

Okay guys, here's the deal. I used to have a plan through Verizon, an unlimited data plan, on an iPhone 4, with the Groundspeak geocaching application. It worked beautifully. In the interest of having to carry less gear about, I am going to be returning to Verizon and getting a new smartphone to use for caching and emails.

My question is, in a typical month of caching only on Saturday, Sunday, and any holidays, how many GB's would I need on my data plan to cover both myself and my girlfriend, through near all day use? Verizon only does shared data plans now, and I'm wondering if 2GB is going to be sufficient, or if I should upgrade the plan to 4GB and save ourselves some trouble.

I wouldn't think that Geocaching would use much bandwidth. When I use a lot, it's from streaming audio (or worse, video, but I don't do that over cell). If all else fails you could be sure to store maps offline before going out geocaching. You can't do that with Google Satellite maps, but you can switch the street maps to Open whatever is, and those can be stored offline.

I'm confused.... Do you still have Verizon?

If Yes..... You should still have the unlimited plan.

We've had our unlimited plan for years now. And if they don't honor it for us next year.... We will tell them to pound sand!! LOL

Not anymore. And you'll end up having to get a new plan once your current contract runs out and needs to be renewed, due to Verizon not wanting to provide the backbone for their unlimited data plan anymore.

Start with a 2G plan. You can alway upgrade if you need more data. OR, you can buy a used phone off CraigsList and keep your unlimited plan. You only have to give up your unlimited plan if you buy a new, subsidized phone.

Oh, I cancelled my contract about 6 months ago. My unlimited plan is long gone. So a 2G plan for my girlfriend and I should be plenty then?

I go caching on weekends and sometimes before/ after work. ( I'd go a heck of a lot more if I wasn't working full time, and if I were single w/o kids, lol.) my daughter likes to go with me but she's only 4 and is only into it for a few finds. I have the 2 gb plan, but I always go over , but never more than 1 gb . so, for me, It's cheaper to have to pay the extra $10 for the 1 GB - rather than upgrade to the 4 gb plan.

Not anymore. And you'll end up having to get a new plan once your current contract runs out and needs to be renewed, due to Verizon not wanting to provide the backbone for their unlimited data plan anymore.

We've been with them for 10+ years....as DSL & cell providers. If they take the unlimited plan away from us - we will threaten to leave (and won't be afraid to leave). In most cases - companies will honor your request just to keep your business. Been there and done that with other companies.

I have yet to see them mention to us about dropping our unlimited plan. And this spring.... we'll see. Gotta fight for what you want, and make it happen.

Edited by Lieblweb

Just wanted to add... we have a three phone family plan, one of them an iphone user, and the other two RAZRs... we have a 6GB plan and between three people downloading, streaming, geocaching, ect we have only ever gotten up to 4GBs use on our bill. Verizon lady told us that it'll take alot to ever use that much data.

We've been with them for 10+ years....as DSL & cell providers. If they take the unlimited plan away from us - we will threaten to leave (and won't be afraid to leave). In most cases - companies will honor your request just to keep your business. Been there and done that with other companies.

I have yet to see them mention to us about dropping our unlimited plan. And this spring.... we'll see. Gotta fight for what you want, and make it happen.

You wont be asked until you go to upgrade to a new phone / renew contract. Unlimited on new contracts has gone.