Canal route

Sha_kee

As far as I know, the cache along a route uses roads only. You can manually change which roads it uses using the map, but it won't recognise the canal as a road (at least I can't get it to). I think the best you could do is create a route along roads which more or less follow the canal route.

You can upload your own GPX or KML file of track or route points and have it create the route from that. In fact, when the Cache Along a Route, (CARR), feature was first introduced, that was the only way to use it.

The easiest way to create such a file is to use the "Add Path" tool in Google Earth. Simply open the tool and then hold the left mouse button as you drag the mouse along the path you want to create, (the canal). You can let go of the mouse and use the arrow and +- keys on your keyboard to move and zoom and then continue drawing if necessary. Give it a name and save it. You will then see it in the list on the left. Select it, right click and choose "Save Place as...". You can use either kml or kmz format. This will save it to your hard disk so that you can upload it to the CAAR page. I use this all the time when hiking in areas that can not be auto routed. The only thing you have to be concerned about is that there is a limit of, I believe, 500 points or 500 miles in any particular route. If you find that you are exceeding that you can break it up into segments, or when drawing through straight portions, let go of the mouse, move to the end of the straight part and then continue drawing. That can easily turn 50 points into 2.