iOS 6 Map application

user13371

At least around Portland Oregon, the iOS 6 Map application is not as details and useful to me as the Google maps…

i just checked out downtown Portland in hybrid mode and the 3D buildings looks real cool. Never seen that with google maps. Stop by the App Store and dl google earth then you can have both.

At least around Portland Oregon, the iOS 6 Map application is not as details and useful to me as the Google maps they replaced. Is it just around here, or are other areas just as poor?

No, apparently you are not the only one who has noticed this. ;)The Apple iOS 6 Maps are amazing. Not.

Best. Link. Ever.

Apple REALLY screwed up this time.

Why? Because Steve Jobs wasn't there to tell them NO. He never would have let this s*** through.

At least around Portland Oregon, the iOS 6 Map application is not as details and useful to me as the Google maps they replaced. Is it just around here, or are other areas just as poor?

No, apparently you are not the only one who has noticed this. ;)The Apple iOS 6 Maps are amazing. Not.

Best. Link. Ever.

Apple REALLY screwed up this time.

Why? Because Steve Jobs wasn't there to tell them NO. He never would have let this s*** through.

No, it was clear that this was coming 2 years ago when Apple acquired Poly9. Jobs declared "thermonuclear war" on Google because of Android and it should be no surprise that using Google services natively from Apple's software and devices is going away - the built-in YouTube app was dropped w/ iOS 6 too. Add to this the changes Google made in their map licensing (remember back in the spring when gc.com had to drop GMaps due to the new licensing fee structure?) - surely Apple wasn't going to sign onto any deal that resulted in them paying Google millions of dollars a year to use their map data.

Apple is using (in part) OSM data for the mapping, but they're not using all of it and there are locations where OSM is lacking.

We have two iPhones, she has a 4s, he has a 4. She upgraded to iOS 6 and is VERY unhappy! This totally screwed up the geocaching application because apparently the app uses whichever map is included in the iOS. So now our iPhone 4s has that same crappy map that geocaching.com tried to foist on us a few months back! We went caching today and used our his-and-hers phones and the TomTom map on the 4s is inaccurate, fuzzy, hard to read - it is ALMOST UNUSABLE as a geocaching tool! It's sad because we love our iPhones but we use them for our hobby - and if they don't fix this, we will definitely switch to Android.

It sucks so bad I used my phone upgrade to get the Galaxy S3 which totally smokes the iPhone 5. And this is coming from an Apple fanboi.

and if they don't fix this, we will definitely switch to Android.

Same Here. I have had every iPhone to date, but I think instead of the iPhone 5, I will be getting an Android also.

Galaxy SIII or Galaxy Tab 2? Or?

I really want a quad core processor and a uSD card slot.

LM, unless you're an iOS developer, I kinda doubt you've been running iOS 6 on your iPad "for months." Other than the map data, I haven't found anything abominable in iOS 6 running on my somewhat aged iPhone 4.

As long as Apple has allowed developers to code iOS apps, there have been people "acquiring" pre-release versions outside official channels. I'm not saying that LM has done this, just pointing out that it's possible that he isn't a developer.

Same Here. I have had every iPhone to date, but I think instead of the iPhone 5, I will be getting an Android also.

Galaxy SIII or Galaxy Tab 2? Or?

I really want a quad core processor and a uSD card slot.

You're comparing oranges & graprefruit. The SGSIII is a phone, the SGT2 is a tablet.

µSD card slots are starting to become less common, unfortunately.

As long as Apple has allowed developers to code iOS apps, there have been people "acquiring" pre-release versions outside official channels. I'm not saying that LM has done this, just pointing out that it's possible that he isn't a developer.

It's more than possible - it's almost a certainty LM isn't a developer. Because a developer would know the difference between a beta and a release, and wouldn't be commenting in this forum, good or bad, about his experiences with pre-release software. iOS 6 went "gold master" on 13 September and released on 19 September -- comments on anything much older than that would be irrelevant.

Still - the map data served up by Apple is very poor compared to Google. I don't know if I'd throw out the whole phone, or even the operating system over that. I still have other mapping apps and I can even use maps.google.com in the web browser until Apple fixes this. Or until Google gets their own Maps back into iOS as an installable app. Betcha THAT happens before Christmas 2012.

YAY, we just realized we can still access Google Maps from the iPhone geocaching app! We just opened a cache we found earlier today and compared the two satellite images and WOW what a difference! No wonder we were so frustrated trying to geocache with this awful map!

Here is the satellite view using the iPhone default (This is zoomed in as CLOSE as the app would allow!):

tt1a_zps42163b93.png

Now here is the view using Google Maps (also zoomed in maximum):

gg2a_zps9110bb89.png

HUGE difference!

Okay, so to access Google Maps from the iPhone GC app:

When on the cache page, scroll down to the bottom and choose "View on External Map"

That's it! The cache map opens in a Safari window.

:D

Hi, habe mir das hier durchgelesen um eine Lösung zu meinem Problem zu finden, war aber nicht dabei...

Hoffentlich kann mir jemand einen guten Tipp geben, mein Problem:

Ich cache mit dem Browser auf meinem iPhone4, habe da die Karte von geocaching.com offen und kann auf der Karte Caches anklicken, die sich dann öffnen (auf der Karte). Dies geht seit dem Software Update auf das iOS 6 nicht mehr.

Hat jemand gleiche Erfahrungen und einen Tipp, wie man das wieder beheben kann?

LG!

Translated by Google:

Hi, have me here to read through to find a solution to my problem, but was not there ...

Hopefully someone can give a good tip, my problem:

I cache with the browser on my iPhone 4, as did the map of geocaching.com open and can click on the map cache, which then open (on the map). This is not since the software update to the iOS 6th

Does anyone have same experience and a tip on how to fix this again?

In my part of the world, apple maps shows a reservoir near my house filled with water hat has been empty since 1972. They show it filled because the USGS topo maps were made before that date. Google has it right, because they have an army of people verifying their data for them. Apple, not so much.

Chris

No, it was clear that this was coming 2 years ago when Apple acquired Poly9. Jobs declared "thermonuclear war" on Google because of Android and it should be no surprise that using Google services natively from Apple's software and devices is going away - the built-in YouTube app was dropped w/ iOS 6 too. Add to this the changes Google made in their map licensing (remember back in the spring when gc.com had to drop GMaps due to the new licensing fee structure?) - surely Apple wasn't going to sign onto any deal that resulted in them paying Google millions of dollars a year to use their map data.

Apple is using (in part) OSM data for the mapping, but they're not using all of it and there are locations where OSM is lacking.

Well if their intention was "thermonuclear war" they brought a knife to a gun fight with this maps debacle.

Question posed to those who are actually using it:

Is the data and presentation getting better in iOS 6 maps? I have noticed since it first came out that some of the most glaring errors are cleaned up. Not hard to notice when they fix a huge mistake -- like all of Southeast Portland being part Powell Butte park - is now corrected to show the park's correct outlines. But I'm curious if anyone who noticed smaller, more subtle mistakes getting cleaned up as well.

LM, unless you're an iOS developer, I kinda doubt you've been running iOS 6 on your iPad "for months." Other than the map data, I haven't found anything abominable in iOS 6 running on my somewhat aged iPhone 4.

LOL. You should really do some kind of research before posting on here about topics you know nothing about.

So you're admitting that you acquired iOS 6 prior to its release by means that are less than legitimate? Or are you an Apple employee in the iPad/iOS division? Because those are the only ways that you were running iOS 6 "for months" prior to its release, unless you're enrolled in the iOS developer program.