Event Fees

Mike & Jess

I thought I would see what others thought and do regarding covering event costs.

I know personally, Whatever I can't get donated or at a discount, I absorb personally. Sometimes if the cost is a bit high (renting a hall or building), a donation jar is used (all extra funds above the major cost gets rolled back into another event).

That being said, I am noticing a lot of events lately are now requesting an upfront charge (some as high as $60 a team).

I know in most cases, this would never pass the reviewer, so it's a page edit after the approval.

So... even if it's a great event, how high of an admission to an event is too high?

Is charging to attend the new direction of GC events?

I've been to a couple events where a donation jar was used or a small ($2-$5) fee was requested to cover the cost or renting the facilities.

Edited by Mike & Jess

I have never seen an event that required a fee (other than maybe paying to get into the park). If I saw that I would probably mention it to my reviewer to make sure it wasn't a sneaky edit and that it was approved. I donate money and time to my group and if I have cash on me when I travel to other areas I'll usually throw in a few bucks.

So... even if it's a great event, how high of an admission to an event is too high?

My understanding is that it's okay to charge for an event as long as it's only to cover the costs of the event...not to make a profit. So, if it's an expensive event to hold and there aren't many sponsors, then it's okay to charge a high admission price. If the price is too high, of course, then there might not be many attendees.

I have never seen an event that required a fee (other than maybe paying to get into the park). If I saw that I would probably mention it to my reviewer to make sure it wasn't a sneaky edit and that it was approved. I donate money and time to my group and if I have cash on me when I travel to other areas I'll usually throw in a few bucks.

+1

I think one or two may have had a donation jar, but even that is exceedingly rare. What would the expenses be? Generally we use picnic shelters in public parks, any food is generally pot-luck. Prizes are donated.

That being said, I am noticing a lot of events lately are now requesting an upfront charge (some as high as $60 a team).

Where would those be? I just scanned through a bunch of events in your area... some that you've attended, some that you haven't, some that haven't been held yet, and I didn't see a single one that asked for as much as $1. I'm not doubting you that there are some, but I am doubting the words "a lot".

I host an annual event here PGCAR, it costs time and money to put it on in the past I've posted that a donation to help covers costs would be appreciated. This year I put out a donation jar. Generally I come close to my costs every year. If I can't recoup costs on the big annual event it will go away. People have suggested an admission cost to attend but my feeling gas always been That the attendees donate what they think it's worth so far they feel it's a worth while event.

+1

I think one or two may have had a donation jar, but even that is exceedingly rare. What would the expenses be? Generally we use picnic shelters in public parks, any food is generally pot-luck. Prizes are donated.

MOST municipalities require a reservation fee to use the shelters. Such is the case at Miesville Ravine. However, if you're willing to take your chances that a shelter is available, it is first-come-first-served for free if no one else shows up. I've been lucky five years running at Minnesota Canoe-in Geocaching Event but I suspect some day our luck will run out. Luckily, reservations many times require a minimum window which means, at least in Dakota County, that within 21 days of my event I'll know if the shelter has been officially reserved or not. If it hasn't been reserved within the 21 days I know I'll get the shelter by being there earliest.

I guess my point is, public shelters in public parks can easily have a cost that you may or may not be aware of.

For my canoe events, there's an optional shuttle fee. You don't have to pay it. But if you don't, you can't get on the bus.. unless you sneak on.

I would be willing to pay a little to help out with those hosting an event.

Recently I attended a CITO event and the hosts provided a lot of stuff at their cost - bottled water, trash bags, free cache repair kits for every attendee, and also had a drawing for several custom painted ammo cans that had log books and swag inside.

This was my first event so I didn't know what to expect. I estimate they spent nearly $60-80 of their own cash putting this together. Knowing beforehand that the hosts of an event will incur these types of costs would make me okay with paying a small fee to help out.

+1

MOST municipalities require a reservation fee to use the shelters. Such is the case at Miesville Ravine. However, if you're willing to take your chances that a shelter is available, it is first-come-first-served for free if no one else shows up. I've been lucky five years running at Minnesota Canoe-in Geocaching Event but I suspect some day our luck will run out. Luckily, reservations many times require a minimum window which means, at least in Dakota County, that within 21 days of my event I'll know if the shelter has been officially reserved or not. If it hasn't been reserved within the 21 days I know I'll get the shelter by being there earliest.

I guess my point is, public shelters in public parks can easily have a cost that you may or may not be aware of.

For my canoe events, there's an optional shuttle fee. You don't have to pay it. But if you don't, you can't get on the bus.. unless you sneak on.

I'm not sure about in your case, but locally, city owned buildings and properties that carry a fee to "rent", include insurance in the cost of using these sites.

The last time I looked into renting a city owned building for geocaching, it was ~$100, which included the use of the building and insurance.

A lot of the time, we'll use buildings owned by volunteer local groups (lion's club, local leagion, etc).

Edited by Mike & Jess

I been to one that have a "fee". They told everybody to bring an item for a raffle and they will give you one raffle tix for every item you bring. Now, if you want more tix, you have to buy more. For all the items that people bring, they are spending around 5 to 6 bucks per item. Instead of charging everybody a fee, they use other method to pay for renting the room we were in. I feel they pull in more money than charging everybody a flat fee. :ph34r:

I'm guessing that this is the cache that you had in mind with the $60 fee: http://www.geocachin...aspx?wp=GC3WHM4

Looks like the event is an official event of the Dynamic Earth museum as well. They have it on their calendar: http://www.sciencenorth.ca/calendar/EventList.aspx?fromdate=9/19/2012&todate=11/17/2012&display=Month&type=public&eventidn=333&view=EventDetails&information_id=12125

I see that their general admission is $20, so $60 for a team of 4 is actually a discount.

I been to one that have a "fee". They told everybody to bring an item for a raffle and they will give you one raffle tix for every item you bring. Now, if you want more tix, you have to buy more. For all the items that people bring, they are spending around 5 to 6 bucks per item. Instead of charging everybody a fee, they use other method to pay for renting the room we were in. I feel they pull in more money than charging everybody a flat fee. :ph34r:

That is actually a pretty good idea.

Good idea, oh yes.

But bad news, gambling laws in some states.

I'm guessing that this is the cache that you had in mind with the $60 fee: http://www.geocachin...aspx?wp=GC3WHM4

Looks like the event is an official event of the Dynamic Earth museum as well. They have it on their calendar: http://www.sciencenorth.ca/calendar/EventList.aspx?fromdate=9/19/2012&todate=11/17/2012&display=Month&type=public&eventidn=333&view=EventDetails&information_id=12125

I see that their general admission is $20, so $60 for a team of 4 is actually a discount.

Or a "promotional" price. <_<

Good idea, oh yes.

But bad news, gambling laws in some states.

There always has to be a catch in some areas. Kind of like how as an event host, we can technically be held liable if someone gets hurt, health inspectors will have a field day if you have a bbq without proper licensing, etc.

What might get you around the gambling rules in some area is a skill testing question. The winners technically earned their prize, and it's simply a trade of services. Might not work everywhere though

I see that their general admission is $20, so $60 for a team of 4 is actually a discount

Published with permission from Groundspeak

I know in most cases, this would never pass the reviewer, so it's a page edit after the approval.

I highly doubt that Dynamic Earth did an "after publish" edit. :rolleyes:

Just like the GPS Adventure Maze exhibits, these science centers/museums "partner" with Groundspeak to host these events.

They aren't anything like the typical "event" where people go to a resataurant or even a park to sit around and yak and chat.

So the discussion of higher fees for events is rather pointless in this case.

As knowschad already asked, and hasn't gotten a reply so far: how many more events are there charging fees?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I see that their general admission is $20, so $60 for a team of 4 is actually a discount

Published with permission from Groundspeak

I highly doubt that Dynamic Earth did an "after publish" edit. :rolleyes:

Just like the GPS Adventure Maze exhibits, these science centers/museums "partner" with Groundspeak to host these events.

They aren't anything like the typical "event" where people go to a resataurant or even a park to sit around and yak and chat.

So the discussion of higher fees for events is rather pointless in this case.

As knowschad already asked, and hasn't gotten a reply so far: how many more events are there charging fees?

B.

First event that came to mind was this one http://coord.info/GC28DY6.

It was a charity event however and listed exactly what was covered (also forgot it's price was reasonably high).

There are others, but I'm not going through listing them all.

I've attended a few caches throughout Ontario, some of which had a donation jar, or a vary small fee to cover accommidations.

We've also purchased coins and other items from groups hosting events in order to assist with the costs.

The point of the thread wasn't to beat on covering costs, just $60 (plus fuel in the example knowschad mentioned) is getting pretty steep. Unlike my example, the extra funds left over are not going to a charity.

Edited by Mike & Jess

First event that came to mind was this one http://coord.info/GC28DY6

It was a charity event however and listed exactly what was covered (also forgot it's price was reasonably high).

Your example proves the point that if a cache page is "sly", then a charity event can be published on Groundspeak's website, despite the Guidelines.

There's been some hot discussion in the past about GS-published geocaching events & charity in the Canada forum. The reviewers were adamant that "soliciting" in logs and events that donate to charity are verboten.

* no further comment *

B.

How many of you are willing pay to attend the WoodStock event? They are getting too big to stay free much longer in my opinion and will be best to host inside a large building. Of all the large non geocaching events I attend over the years, I pay. Fishing shows, fly fishing shows, Model trains shows, car shows, guns shows and the list goes on.

For any events thats outside of a restaurants, someone is paying for renting the area/building. We got someone here that use his church hall for events and I dont think he have to pay to use it but I might be wrong. He host about two to three time a year.

My question is, How many of you guys feel that events should say free and the host have to pay for the up front cost out of his pocket over and over?

My opinion is that there are too many free loaders in the caching world and they are the first to scream and yell when theres a fee and saying they are making a "profit".

There is only one guy that I think got "paid" to host events.(he was working for the city under the Recreation and Park Association or something in that area of work.) He moved out of the area and now living in Utah. Now there is no events in that area of Oregon, go figure. Yes, he bought over 100 people every time and up to half dozen time a year. Many of the cachers spend the night out there because most people love going to the coast. Plus, he placed alot of caches under the city name to get people to come to his city.

Edited by SwineFlew

Plus, for $60 you get a complimentary pizza :huh:

Plus, for $60 you get a complimentary pizza :huh:

and a smiley.

I thought I would see what others thought and do regarding covering event costs.

I know personally, Whatever I can't get donated or at a discount, I absorb personally. Sometimes if the cost is a bit high (renting a hall or building), a donation jar is used (all extra funds above the major cost gets rolled back into another event).

I've been to a couple events where a donation jar was used or a small ($2-$5) fee was requested to cover the cost or renting the facilities.

Unless my count is off, we've seen examples of two events with large entry fees, one from two years ago, and another coming up at the end of this month that states on the page "Published with permission from Groundspeak".

It's been a few years since I took statistics in college, but I don't see how two events over a two year period=a lot of events. This seems to be a whine in search of an issue.

Around here most events take place at restaurants/sports bars where everyone pays their own way.

Events held in parks might have a donation jar in the corner of the shelter, but no one is actively soliciting contributions on the listing or at the event. There is a whopping $5/meal ticket fee for the upcoming NCGO Fall Fling event.

Unless my count is off, we've seen examples of two events with large entry fees, one from two years ago, and another coming up at the end of this month that states on the page "Published with permission from Groundspeak".

It's been a few years since I took statistics in college, but I don't see how two events over a two year period=a lot of events. This seems to be a whine in search of an issue.

Around here most events take place at restaurants/sports bars where everyone pays their own way.

Events held in parks might have a donation jar in the corner of the shelter, but no one is actively soliciting contributions on the listing or at the event. There is a whopping $5/meal ticket fee for the upcoming NCGO Fall Fling event.

The point of the thread wasn't for me to list all the caches with entry fees. If you want a list, go looking.

The original point was that they are starting to make an appearance and asked if this charge to attend is going to be the new direction.

Your counting appears to be fine (to 2 anyway).

Edited by Mike & Jess

I do not attend a lot of events, but I would not go to one at which a fee was charged.

What if the admission fee was one cent and that got you a raffle ticket to a $1,000,000 draw?

If I felt the event was worth the cost, then I'd attend. I already have attended lots of events where I felt it was worth the cost of the gas used to drive there. An admission fee would be one more factor that I'd take into consideration when I decide whether or not to attend.

I've held two events and I used the keep it simple method. I checked the park schedule to see what was scheduled out in the pavilion I wanted to use because you can either pay fees or take a crap shoot method with those buildings there. But realistically most of the bigger events in the summer are scheduled well in advance. So no issues there. I actually use that method for non-caching get togethers as well and never had an issue. So didn't spend any money there.

Trying to figure out the prize thing. I can't afford to supply prizes for events for the most part. And I guess I just don't see them as that important because I was one of those silly people who assumed events were for getting together not coming around to see what kind of swag I could bring home. Not having prizes supplied by me has never been an issue. I didn't even know prizes at events were a "must have" until I saw it repeatedly mentioned on the board here. I brought a dish to the pot luck I threw (as did everyone else and if they didn't we had plenty of food for all so it didn't matter).

I also noticed most states have some sort of state wide organized geocaching group. Some of those groups have a slush fund. Some of those groups share that slush fund. I would hope those that find themselves putting a lot of money into their events are contacting those groups to help out.

I guess maybe if it's costing so much that one needs to ask for donations maybe it's time to start scaling back the events and moving more towards keeping it simple.

I do not attend a lot of events, but I would not go to one at which a fee was charged.

Do you attend any events that arent geocaching?

No. Are there any??? I enjoy meeting other geocachers, and chatting, and getting hints to their mystery caches... Hey! I finally got to meet Signal the Frog at the EarthCaching Event!

Yes... many things. The word event can mean alot of things.

I'm guessing that this is the cache that you had in mind with the $60 fee: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3WHM4

Thats the 1 he is refering to...Funny thing is 1 day after this thread was started Grounspeak has asked Dynamic Earth to remove this event...

deunderground

Premium Member

Write note

09/20/2012

Unfortunately, though the event was originally cleared to be posted on geocaching.com, Groundspeak has asked us to remove the event.

This does not mean the event is cancelled!

Please check dynamicearth.ca/dynamicdash for event details and we look forward to seeing you next Saturday!

But you can still follow this event at.....

http://saga.forumotion.ca/t10-dynamic-dash-geocache-event

and at.....

http://nog.upnorthtracks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1591&sid=c56a224ee68b28b42c398935678002df

I'm guessing that this is the cache that you had in mind with the $60 fee: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3WHM4

Thats the 1 he is refering to...Funny thing is 1 day after this thread was started Grounspeak has asked Dynamic Earth to remove this event...

deunderground

Premium Member

Write note

09/20/2012

Unfortunately, though the event was originally cleared to be posted on geocaching.com, Groundspeak has asked us to remove the event.

Please check dynamicearth.ca/dynamicdash for event details and we look forward to seeing you next Saturday!

and at.....

http://nog.upnorthtracks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1591&sid=c56a224ee68b28b42c398935678002df

Sounds like a number of cachers "report" it to GS. Typical of freeloaders to do things like that. :unsure:

deunderground

Premium Member

Write note

09/20/2012

and at.....

http://forum.northernontariogeocachers.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1591

The event page is still alive. Almost looks like they are still clear to go with the minor edits.

On a side note, the Nothern Ontario Geocachers forum address was listed incorrectly as the old sub-domain of Up North Tracks. The thread in question there is Dynamic Dash (NOG forum)

Had this gone through as it was, it could have created a type of "book law" type ruling for future events similar.

I know a few events with less commercial involvement (my Capreol Days event and Denis's Lumberjack Festival event) that could come back next year has this gone through. I can't speak for the lumberjack festival event, but for my Capreol days event, it was a free meet and greet at our 'What is Geocaching' information table my wife and I have had for the past couple years. Anyway, that is off topic.

If people are willing to pay an admission fee than let them. I would have had no issue paying $60 for a team of four people. It was listed up front so I would know before posting my intention to attend, in fact if I could be in Sudbury that day I would. The entry fee to get into DE is $22.60/adult do you really think they are getting rich off this? Its clear there is another event in your area taking place that day so there is definitely CHOICE if people wish not to attend. It makes me leary the intention of this thread!

If people are willing to pay an admission fee than let them. I would have had no issue paying $60 for a team of four people. It was listed up front so I would know before posting my intention to attend, in fact if I could be in Sudbury that day I would. The entry fee to get into DE is $22.60/adult do you really think they are getting rich off this? Its clear there is another event in your area taking place that day so there is definitely CHOICE if people wish not to attend. It makes me leary the intention of this thread!

Not really sure why you quoted my post for your response, as your response has nothing to do with the question I asked.

Looking at your post....

First off, I wasn't and did not reference the DD event. Someone else did. When I got the publication notice for the event you are referring to, and checked the page out, there was no upfront fee listed. This was added after publication.

So, if a corporation offers a discount admission fee to their facilities, does this make it exempt from the using a geocaching event as a promotion for their attraction? Or is ok if it's a government owned tourist attraction?

This sure wasn't allowed when the guy near Timmins tried to have an event tied in with the Lumber Jack festival. Wasn't allowed with the camp ground on Manitoulin Island tried to hold an event with a $5 or $10 grounds access fee. Heck, wasn't acceptable for my meet and greet event at a street festival (which had no fees, preregistration or any corporation involved).

Maybe take a second or two and read up on the policies regarding promoting businesses. Based on Choochoo1996's post, discount passes to a tourist attraction doesn't change the rules.

Anyway, going back on topic, my original post simply asked if asking an upfront fee was the direction these game (poker run, scavenger hunt, etc) events where going. It had nothing to do with the savings of accessing a tourist attraction.

Edit: Unless there is a Central Ontario Geocachers event that day, the closest event that day is in Bruce mines Ontario, 233 km, 3 hours 2 mins away (as per Google earth).

Edited by Mike & Jess

I'm very familiar with the policies I've hosted several events. The reason the Kaspuskasing event didn't go was because of this guideline

"If an event is already organized outside of the geocaching community, and/or it would take place regardless whether or not it is listed on Geocaching.com, it is likely not an event cache. Examples include music festivals, neighborhood or block parties, and organized sporting events."

Events must be hosted by geocachers for geocachers the Sudbury event was clearly given an exception because of the fact the GPS maze is there. You can have any event that charges money as long as you provide an alternative free option. I held a bowling event it cost money to bowl but people were able to show up and sign the log regardless of whether they took part in the paid activity. I think these types of paid events bring diversity from the same old picnic in a park, I do hope it is the new direction because it offers choice.

Just to clarify a couple points;

I happen to meet one of the geocachers that assisted with setting up the DD event yesturday afternoon. He was helping with the actual event, not the corporate crap that has come out of the wood work after the event was listed.

This event looks like it will be a really great one, with some really well thought out challenges. It's unfortunate the corporate bit has come out.

In regards to the Big Brothers charity event I had referenced... GS denied a repeat event the following year.

Ignoring corporate after taste I get from these larger charities, I really did have fun doing this event as I did get to take a couple children out with me to find some event caches.

This is totally off topic of the OP, just thought I would make a couple quick points regarding the two events referenced in this thread.

Sounds like a number of cachers "report" it to GS. Typical of freeloaders to do things like that. :unsure:

Freeloaders? :blink: I beg your pardon?

(I was not one of those that reported it, if indeed anybody did. I just take exception to you calling anybody with an objection to this, a "freeloader")

Edited by knowschad

I'm very familiar with the policies I've hosted several events. The reason the Kaspuskasing event didn't go was because of this guideline

"If an event is already organized outside of the geocaching community, and/or it would take place regardless whether or not it is listed on Geocaching.com, it is likely not an event cache. Examples include music festivals, neighborhood or block parties, and organized sporting events."

Events must be hosted by geocachers for geocachers the Sudbury event was clearly given an exception because of the fact the GPS maze is there. You can have any event that charges money as long as you provide an alternative free option. I held a bowling event it cost money to bowl but people were able to show up and sign the log regardless of whether they took part in the paid activity. I think these types of paid events bring diversity from the same old picnic in a park, I do hope it is the new direction because it offers choice.

Geocacher?

Take note of their hides and finds.

Regardless, This thread was not started because or regarding the specific event. If you are going to quote a piece of the original post, try to stay on that topic.

Meet at Dynamic Earth on September 29th, 2012 for Sudbury’s first Dynamic Dash; an urban adventure geocaching challenge! Teams armed with their own GPS units will explore the City of Greater Sudbury to discover clues and complete challenges. The day will wrap up at Dynamic Earth, where teams will search for the final geocache! Enjoy a fun filled fall day, fabulous prizes, and a take home bag valued at over $40.00!

The event will begin at Dynamic Earth, with team sign-ins beginning at 10:00am. Meet back at Dynamic Earth at 3pm for refreshments, prizes and giveaways!

Teams must register in advance, as space is limited. Maximum 4 people per team.

EDIT: The event WILL include a complimentary pizza lunch sponsored by Topper's.

Please register in advance by calling (705) 523-4629 to save your team a spot!

So, you have removed the reference to the $60/team fee. Does this mean that you have also removed the fee itself, or does it simply mean that many folks that go to the event will be rudely surprised when they get there and are suddenly being asked for $60?

This is what I've seen at the events around here (except the donation jar is usually a donation ammo can).

Geocacher?

Take note of their hides and finds.

Okay you are clearly choosing to only read the pieces of the thread that you wish. I stated the Sudbury event was clearly given an exception because of the fact the GPS maze is there. Read the reviewer note, it had the permission of Groundspeak when it was published they are the authority they can make exceptions to the rule. You keep stating its not about "this" event but pointed at the $60 fee in your original post so what are we to think? Is it really about money?